Citroen BX diesel automatic.

Anything about BXs
Phil

Post by Phil »

You must be tall then! I'm six foot and there is loads of room.
sdelasal
BXpert

Post by sdelasal »

I have a long face - that's what people tell me! ;-)
themildbunch
BXpert

Post by themildbunch »

Ok..

I'm quite interested in this one.. couple of PM's sent..

Adrian
1988 BX 19 Gti 16v
1991 BX 17 TZD Estate
1991 BX 17 TZD Estate
Phil

Post by Phil »

Hi, I have replied to one of them. Only had one though. :)

Off to bed now as I has to be up at five. :(
themildbunch
BXpert

Post by themildbunch »

Ok.. I'm going to look at this tomorrow...
I'm no expert in auto boxes, are there any definitive symptoms of a terminal auto?

Known behaviour is mentioned earlier in this thread..

From the little i've read up it maybe a serious problem but as Phil says it drives ok if you're not booting it and a fluid change hasn't been done so MAY make a difference..
1988 BX 19 Gti 16v
1991 BX 17 TZD Estate
1991 BX 17 TZD Estate
Phil

Post by Phil »

As I have said, on my run to work, it operates fine. If you boot it away it misses second occasionally, same applies if you do a steep hill pull away, backing off the throttle allows it to select.
I have secured a new car now so the Citroen needs rehoming.
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

easiest way to check the box is pull the dipstick and smell the fluid. If it smells burnt, it could be the beginning of the end for it. That said, fresh fluid and a filter may help it enourmousley. A blocked filter is the root cause of a high percentage of box failure.

That and adjusting the kick down cable correctly may mean it'll go on for years. Depsite some bad press, it's a clever little box that is quite hard wearing if the fluid is changed on a regular basis and the filter is kept clean
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

docchevron wrote: That and adjusting the kick down cable correctly may mean it'll go on for years. Depsite some bad press, it's a clever little box that is quite hard wearing if the fluid is changed on a regular basis and the filter is kept clean
Phils old GTi was a testament to that 225,000 miles and the box was still good!
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
scooters
Confirmed BX'er

Post by scooters »

it's amazing how changing the ATF can drastically improve an auto box - our Subaru Legacy was playing up for weeks - changed the fluid - like a new car.

Starter fault will be one of several things -

1/ as mentioned the battery may be suspect
2/ as an auto the inhibitor switch could be playing up/sticking - easy job to free up and get some silicon spray on it
3/ the starter relay - relays enable you to interrup very high amp circuits with a much smaller current switch. Without the starter relay you would have an ignition switch carrying 30-35 amps through it - not a good idea - Yugos and 70's Fiats have this and the size of the current going through it eventually toasts the igition barrel. Relays avoid this but are by their very nature items with a finate lifespan - easy job to replace
4/ as mentioned before the earth - check the condition of the eath strats, the battery earth to chassis/engine cable and the conductivity of the earth point - a multi meter is a huge help here
5/ starter motor and connections - go over all the wires, clean with electrical contact cleaner and an old toothbrush - don't use a wire brush if the toothbrush and cleaner don't work the connector will need to be replaced. If you suspect the starter before spending money replacing it strip it down and give it a jolly good clean out.

It's a shame you are getting rid of this - If I had seen it earlier I would have been hard pushed to resist.

Are you sure you can't talk your bird round?

It's really easy - all you need to do is demonstrate the cost of running it as being a pittance - she will then see the econmic sense when she sees you can have a weekend in Paris on what you save. If you have another car in the household move this onto a Classic Policy - £150 tops - then the tax £200 per annum, MOT £40 per annum - budget £500 for running repairs and all you need on top is some diesel.- that is running costs of under £900 per annum - 3 payments on an astra with no service/mot/parts and tax costs
1991 BX16 TGS Meteor (arriving soon)
1996 306 TD
1997 Subaru Legacy 2.5 Quadcam
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

docchevron wrote: if the fluid is changed on a regular basis and the filter is kept clean
Doc
This a job i need to do on mine; so does this box have an actual replaceable filter or is it like most with just a washable gauze filter, I assume it is a drop the pan job?
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
themildbunch
BXpert

Post by themildbunch »

It's mine now... :D

Picked it up at the weekend.. beern pretty unloved recently and will need all fluids done, accumulator ticks every 5 secs, so got one of those too. Really rattly at the front, so i'll look at that after I do the belts.. probably much more than the car price just in parts..
Best thing though is the autobox seems to work perfectly.. looked like a new throttle cable had been fitted recently and slightly too long which knocked out the pump, kickdown adjustment...10 mins with a couple of 12 mm spanners and it seems fine.. so much nicer getting around town with an auto compared to the heavy worn clutch on the TD...
Thanks to Phil for selling at such a good price rather than scrapping and getting his tax back..
1988 BX 19 Gti 16v
1991 BX 17 TZD Estate
1991 BX 17 TZD Estate
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Great news!
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Its good to know its in safe hands, probably drop links and ball joints to do I imagine!
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

Excellent. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do mine. it's my favourite drive out of my 3.
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
scooters
Confirmed BX'er

Post by scooters »

Great news indeed and hats off to Phil for making the effort to save it by passing it on to an enthusiast when the easy thing to do would have been to weigh it in.

Mild....If you ever want to sell it......

:lol: :lol:
1991 BX16 TGS Meteor (arriving soon)
1996 306 TD
1997 Subaru Legacy 2.5 Quadcam