1990 BX19TGD 'The Red Baron'.

A place for us to show off our cars in all their glory. Please keep picture sizes to about 800x600 pixels.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Having thought about this, I don't want to come across as smug about getting a free BX and having to only spend £X on it. I am hugely grateful for the opportunity afforded to us (in the form of Team Philibusters) to take on this BX not only for the Challenge, but to further its life as a viable BX.

It will cost me a lot more over the coming months, as I do intend to get it properly sorted, which won't be possible in this case without Kermit's invaluable help and enthusiasm.

I think it's fair to say that Kermit and I are both finding it really hard at the moment, and for me certainly, finding the money to tax the car at the end of November is the first hurdle. I haven't enjoyed a particularly good year so forgive my enthusiasm for the economy of securing this lovely little car. :)

When it comes to pass the BX on (hopefully back to John) it will only be at a price commensurate with the cost to us. I think Kermit and I would both agree that in any case any profit should go to our chosen charity.
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
Paul296
Over 2k
My Cars: Citroen BX 17 TZD Hurricane
Citroen BX 17 TGD

Post by Paul296 »

I used Halfords satin black to refurbish my door surrounds - good preparation and masking off is the key as Phil pointed out. The preping takes infinitely longer than the actual painting but worth it as shabby black work can really ruin the appearance of an otherwise really tidy car I find.

'The Red Baron' is looking fantastic Phil - a real credit too you. I've got three of those wheel trims languishing in my shed that are almost 'as new' I seem to remember - yours for the postage if you're interested (the valve covers are missing though)

Couldn't a few of us chuck some money in a pot to get some more of those stickers printed? I WANT one! :D

^^bx> ^^ ^^
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

I'd stump up for a sticker if I wouldn't get lynched for putting it on a GS :D
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

I'll revive the old thread and see if we can sort something out.
kermit the frog
BXpert

Post by kermit the frog »

Hi Phil
I am in total agreement about any profit from the eventual sale of the RED BARON To go to our chosen charity.
By the way What is our chosen charity :lol:

Kermit
ALAN S an oracle of knowledge sadly missed by us all RIP Mate
Green Hornet well I don't really know.GS project gone to pastures new
Blue Streak 1996(P) XANTIA VSX TD (130K.)
anaconda
BXpert

Post by anaconda »

Paul296 wrote:I used Halfords satin black to refurbish my door surrounds - good preparation and masking off is the key as Phil pointed out. The preping takes infinitely longer than the actual painting but worth it as shabby black work can really ruin the appearance of an otherwise really tidy car I find.

Ok, looks like a long prep then. Would a quick rub with wet and dry be enough prior to masking/painting? ...and 'll pop down to Halfords for the colour.

Thats oil change and black paint for the weekend. Hope the weathers ok, its an outdoor job!
Last edited by anaconda on Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1991 BX TGD Saloon
1990 VW T25 Camper. Currently on sabbatical
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

With the weather forecast I've just seen, so long as you let the frost melt first before spraying you should be fine.
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
anaconda
BXpert

Post by anaconda »

citsncycles wrote:With the weather forecast I've just seen, so long as you let the frost melt first before spraying you should be fine.

...might give an interesting icy crystal textured look :shock:
1991 BX TGD Saloon
Paul296
Over 2k
My Cars: Citroen BX 17 TZD Hurricane
Citroen BX 17 TGD

Post by Paul296 »

I found the fiddliest bit is laying the tape along the sliver of rubber next to the metal door surround itself - worth the extra effort though as it looks 'proper job' when it's done! When it's cured I've found satin paint is not very keen on being polished - I tried it - it looks like a dogs breakfast and you have to do the whole thing AGAIN! :shock: Good luck and have fun!

edit; hope the weathers good. Cold & windy = bad for spraying! (if you warm the paint up in a bucket of warm water it flows better if the weathers cold)
Last edited by Paul296 on Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

kermit the frog wrote:Hi Phil
I am in total agreement about any profit from the eventual sale of the RED BARON To go to our chosen charity.
By the way What is our chosen charity :lol:

Kermit
Well, Phil

Tradition says it should be Cancer Research UK. :)
anaconda
BXpert

Post by anaconda »

Paul296 wrote:I found the fiddliest bit is laying the tape along the sliver of rubber next to the metal door surround itself - worth the extra effort though as it looks 'proper job' when it's done! When it's cured I've found satin paint is not very keen on being polished - I tried it - it looks like a dogs breakfast and you have to do the whole thing AGAIN! :shock: Good luck and have fun!

edit; hope the weathers good. Cold & windy = bad for spraying! (if you warm the paint up in a bucket of warm water it flows better if the weathers cold)

I live in murkyside, so weatherwise in the words of Frazer...we're dooomed!

So you reckon when its dry it wont polish up?
1991 BX TGD Saloon
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Don't polish satin paint in a hurry, is my advice. Just make sure you put three nice light coats on. Leave it for a year and then rub lightly with a black polish... worked for 'DGK' and 'DGJ' (two BXs long gone now....).

Basically, don't try too hard. All you're trying to do is regain a smooth satin finish that - for better or for worse - our Citroën friends decided was a good idea. Like they did for Visas, CXs et al of the time! :lol:
Mike E (uk)
1K Away

Post by Mike E (uk) »

I don't know about all this polishing paintwork,

I think I will just cover the whole car in stickers.

Mike
la BX 16 soupapes: sachez apprecier avec moderation.

It might be clever now, but it won't be in the morning!
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Why not try whole-car vinyl? :lol:

http://superwraps.com
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Bought a Thule roof rack the other day - (£4.99 off eBay!) - and just as well; I have some furniture to move about this weekend. So, the Red Baron gets to sport my genuine BX accessorie Thule roof bars too. I was contemplating having the rack fitted for the Challenge to cart some fuel and an extra spare... but it makes so much wind noise above 60 that I don't think I'll bother :lol:

The car was thoroughly inspected on the ramps yesterday, before being liberally sprayed with protective oil. All the rust I could find (there isn't much) was treated. Earlier this week the rusty rear wheel arch had its holes cleaned up, rust-treated, primed, filled and painted and although not up to Paul's standards its pretty darned solid - and at least the sill is filled with waxoyl/oil and is now watertight. I also touched up the rear 'spoiler'.

Just need to wait until after the winter, when I'll get those tatty trims off and either bin them or refurbish them. I'm putting some white trims on for the Challenge.
Anyway, some pics, seeing as it was nice and sunny...