BX 16v steering wheel

Buy or sell parts etc. Please put 'Wanted' in the title if it is a request for parts.

Do you prefer this style of Steering Wheel?

Yes
64%
No
36%

Total votes: 11

Way2go
Over 2k

BX 16v steering wheel

Post by Way2go »

Spotted on Ebay. Better than the Single spoke wheels.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Citroen-BX-16v-st ... dZViewItem
1991 BX19GTi Auto
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

Why do you prefer it?

In fact the single spoke wheel was considered a safety feature when introduced by Citroen and in its original form was rigidly attached to the upper column. Its design was such that the column itself couldn't spear the driver, and there was only the one spoke to get in the way when the car was being steered. I think something similar to this arrangement was last used on the Mk1 BX.

My BX has the wide single spoked wheel which os course is standard for a MK 2 BX - and I must say that I like it. looking at the 16 valve wheel the 2 small spokes at the bottom seem to be spaced the same as the width of the single spoke - so the question becomes - Why would I want a wheel with 2 more spokes to catch my fingers on?

jeremy
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

I have driven GTIs with both types. Now I have 16v steering wheels on both of my BXs. Says it all really. But I do guess it's a matter of personal preference. I find the 16v wheels more conventional but seemingly more 'solid'. They are quite heavy, so beware P&P costs. Also if you buy make sure the indicator cancelling ring is included and is protected during delivery. I got one off eBay and although heavily packed that 'sticking out bit' was broken off...
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Post by Stewart (oily!) »

I have had all three types, I have the sixteen valve type now on my last two cars, I do quite fancy a ZX Volcane one though.
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Xantia Td estate, going soft
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

jeremy wrote:Why do you prefer it?
the 2 small spokes at the bottom seem to be spaced the same as the width of the single spoke - so the question becomes - Why would I want a wheel with 2 more spokes to catch my fingers on?

jeremy
My first new GTi had a single wide spoke wheel and I found it too big for responsive driving and also uncomfortable on long drives as there was no natural rest for my hands. Luckily the covering on this wheel started to unravel and so was down for replacement under warranty. I was allowed to get a credit of this wheel price against a Citroen Accessory black alloy & boss upgrade with leather rim which was smaller and also gave natural rest positions. Small premium to pay but the driving feel was superb.

Next GTi had later wheel as standard and so has my present GTi and it is the horizontal spars and general ergonomics of this wheel that make it superior IMHO.
1991 BX19GTi Auto
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d
Recent scruffy diesel n/a estate - "The Red Shed" - is no longer mine.

Post by DLM »

In an ideal world, a single-spoker wheel is the best idea: it gives great visibility of the instrument panel, almost regardless of wheel position. I've just been reminded of this while driving a CX this weekend.

However, the Mk2 BX steering-wheel is such an enormous one-spoke lump, obscuring the instruments during a number of manoeuvres, that I prefer the Meteor/Gti type, and have swapped the same one onto my last 3 BXs. On any Mark 1, though, to remove the original-style thin single-spoker would be heresy!
Back on two wheels and pedal power for the moment.
Mike P
BXpert

Post by Mike P »

I voted for yes, only really like this style of steering wheel on a Bx if I was honest.
Was out in a CX Turbo last weekend and forgot how chunky the single spoke is on that but would never swap it anyway :lol:

Mike P.
"F" White Phase 1 16V: 62K miles & seen on TV
"E" Grey Phase 1 16V: Long term project in bits
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

Still prefer the larger single spoke wheel! - I can hold it and rest my elbow out of the window - which I can't on our Zx with a smaller more fashionable wheel and of course I can see the instruments nice and clearly (ZX one obscures the tops!)

Its rather strange that the BX was never offered with an adjustable steering column - Renault 21 had one one the less basic models and so does the ZX.

jeremy
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Could I be the only one who likes the poverty spec wheels fitted to 90/91 era TGD models? :shock:
Vauxhall apologist.
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

DLM wrote:On any Mark 1, though, to remove the original-style thin single-spoker would be heresy!
I don't think you can (easily) as like earlier cars, it's part of the upper steering column.
this might be a signature
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

Cav - I thought they had the one with the single thick spoke like my DTR turbo - but probably not black. I'll have a look at my neighbours TGD turbo in the morning.

jeremy