steering

BX Tech talk
Ricky5

steering

Post by Ricky5 »

Is there anyone out there who can help me? my BX14 has developed power steering no I am not joking. The car has on acceleration a tendancy to steer its self away from the intended path and on deceleration revert back to the intend direction. I have check the steering rack and there is no wear apparent.
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

Its probably a bottom wishbone bush or the ball joint at the bottom of the strut. Its also worth checking the rack mountings, and the rear trailing arms but my money would be on the wishbone to chassis bushes, which have to resist the engine and braking thrust.

jeremy
sleepy0905
1K Away

Post by sleepy0905 »

I agree jeremy thats the likely area as wear in these bushes turns your car into a shopping trolley had mine done 5 years ago after it was doing axactly the same new bushes passengerside and it was cured.
2017 Seat Leon ST FR 2.0 150Bhp
Ricky5

steering

Post by Ricky5 »

Many thanks to you both I have just go oily and greasy and found the problem which is as you suggest.

An minor oil leak has destoyed the bushes on the nearside (sorry offside to you you right hand drive owners.

A sincere thanks for your help

Rick
Ricky5

Post by Ricky5 »

Sorry but how easy is it to replace these bushes bearing in mind I'm a 66 yr old godger

Rick
sleepy0905
1K Away

Post by sleepy0905 »

They can be a pig apparently but i had a garage do mine for me as they offered and they had a press ( only cost me the price of the bushes.)
2017 Seat Leon ST FR 2.0 150Bhp
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

I think the bushes are the standard type with a metal inner and outer sleeve and a rubber sandwich in between. The method Sleepy suggests (ie get someone with a press to fit them) is ideal - but I've always managed with a moderate sized bench vice and a little brute force. What I do is to hacksaw through the inner and outer sleeves to relieve the force on the outer sleeve and then I can usually get them out with the vice and some spacers (sockets and bits of tube are handy.)

To fit new ones I now deep freeze them overnight and fit them straight from the freezer. As they are cold they contract a little and go in more easily!

I expect what you really want to know is how difficult it is to get the pivot bar out - sorry I've never done it and do not know. The ball joint at the bottom of the strut will come out with some force and a joint splitter.

jeremy