BX compatible ignition barrel

Buy or sell parts etc. Please put 'Wanted' in the title if it is a request for parts.
Boxwolf
BXpert

BX compatible ignition barrel

Post by Boxwolf »

As I have documented in the technical section, my BX is now short of an ignition barrel. The electric side is still fine, but I need a replacement for the mechanical bit where the key goes in.

Does anyone know what other citroen/peugeot models use the same one and the best place to get a nice crucifix type one?
1992 BX TXD Turbo
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

I just had this issue. Be careful when buying a Valeo unit from places like ebay - there is a kit they did that came with all locks EXCEPT the ignition barrel/switch combo!

The one that did come complete is normally around £80. It\'s a full kit, so all matching keys. Bad news is they\'re a bugger to find and they\'re discontinued. Luckily Jaba is a bit of a legend and sold me one he\'d bought as a spare. I\'m sending him my old lock set (when I stop having kids and moving houses I\'ll remove the last two locks) and I believe he\'s going to try and overhaul the unit.

FYI, the AX ones are pretty similar, but the housing is different so the steering lock is non-compatible. If you strip them down, it might be possible to make one out of the two.

Best of luck to you!
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
bxzx16v
BXpert

Post by bxzx16v »

Just had my (Xantia,Dispatch)barrels rebuilt at a locksmiths there as new now and cost £15 each , not sure if it's possible with the Bx ones though , it might be worth enquiring

Mark
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

GSF used to do a Valeo ignition lock/switch on its own or a door lock set,

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
Jaba
1K Away
My Cars: BX GTi, C3 Auto

Post by Jaba »

GSF are listing an ignition lock/switch with a stock of two at £88.20
Their part # is 928PC0050. They still do the car club discount of 10% I believe.

Don't throw the old lock away as I would like to have a go at it to see if I can resurrect it somehow from my box of bits from failed switch barrels.

I want to do the same from Kitch's switch as well. If successful then there will be a couple of working units available for our BXs.
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

GSF have no stock, I've tried several times to get a set out of them to no avail..
Same with AEP, ECP and every old fashined motor factor I can find..
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
Boxwolf
BXpert

Post by Boxwolf »

Jaba, not sure you will want this one! it has been pulverised with a hammer in order to extract it from the housing in the steering column :oops:

The one that was in there didn't have the steering lock pin fitted (i tried and failed to fit it when i replaced the barrel last time it broke) so I don't know if that makes it easier to find a replacement?
1992 BX TXD Turbo
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

You might just be lucky, there could be one in my garage, I'll check tomorrow. :?
Jaba
1K Away
My Cars: BX GTi, C3 Auto

Post by Jaba »

Boxwolf wrote:Jaba, not sure you will want this one! it has been pulverised with a hammer in order to extract it from the housing in the steering column
Still, yes please there will be something to salvage I am sure.

You could try Malcolm Lockwood if GSF really don't have any left.
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.
RxBX
Over 2k

Post by RxBX »

Jaba wrote:..................

You could try Malcolm Lockwood if GSF really don't have any left.
One HERE but not cheap (Models with-out ABS ) if I'd deciphered it correctly !

:)

docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

thats about the going rate these days.. It's not difficult to add a fly lead for the ABS if it is minus the ABS flylead, and you need it for a car that has ABS.
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...