diesel tickover too fast

BX Tech talk
spigven
Confirmed BX'er

diesel tickover too fast

Post by spigven »

Hello all,

Hope you won't take offence as my question refers to my Xantia TD aircon. The tickover has crept up from its usual 850 to approx 950 when the engine has warmed up. It's happened over the last few weeks. The only checks I've made is that there is a little slack in the cable and that it returns fully, that the fast idle mechanism is not active when the engine is warm (actually on this last point the fast idle mechanism has never worked in the 3 yrs I've owned the car) and that the cooling fans are not running at full tilt. Apart from the fast tickover the car starts and runs well.

Any ideas ?

Mark
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

Buy a BX 8)

Other than that, what year is the Xant on? On most but the earlier cars they have a post heater device, as opposed to preheater. Of course they have preheater as well. The idea is it keeps the engine running smoothly untill it warms up and then it should switch off.

What actually switches it off I'm not sure but it could be this thats causing your problem.
They think it's all over, it is now!
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

ken newbold wrote:Buy a BX 8)

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Vauxhall apologist.
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

Spigven - we don't take offence to you posting on here BUT - you may need an answer from people with more experience of Xantia's than we have.

How old is your Xantia TD, what type of pump does it have, is it electronic? are all matters that are relevant.

And curiously our ZX 1.9D (94 - Roto-diesel pump) has started idling faster recently (about 30 RPM) (and possibly burning more fuel) which I think may be due to differing fuel quality or something. Its nice and even and it doesn't look as though anything is wrong so I propose to leave it alone for the moment.

jeremy
spigven
Confirmed BX'er

Post by spigven »

Thanks

Its a 1998 car with Bosch pump and Injection ECU. Idles smoothly at the new rate and doesn't use any more fuel than it used to (maybe 36 mpg av).

With regard to BX, I've owned 2 in the past for a total of 11 years and retain a soft spot for them. Problem is it's bad enough running cars that are 5 years old (as the Xant was when purchased) never mind cars that are 13 - 20 years old. My first BX literally crumbled around me in it's later years.

The Xant is getting to the stage where it's uneconomic (time as well as money) to repair but I'll probably hang on as long as poss as there is nothing out there to change to.
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

Has this car got a damper on the throttle linkage? If so is it sticking - apparently they are prone to sticking. As a temporary measure - disconnect it and see if things impove.

Alternatively I suppose your car may have some means of raising the idle speed to prevent stalling when the air conditioning compressor is running. Such devices are common on petrol engines - but I don't know if this is incorporated into the 'Epic' pump.

jeremy
spigven
Confirmed BX'er

Post by spigven »

jeremy

Thanks, the damper is fine, the throttle fully returns and also if I squash the damper back there is no more return travel in the throttle.

As regards Aircon fast idle, I don't think there is on this car. When the Aircon is switched on the idle drops by 25+ rpm. I think that the idle has simply been set +50rpm before I got the car. It always idled at about 850 - 875 rpm (Aircon off) and this was fine but now it looks like its increased to 950 ish which is a little too fast.

Mark
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

Have you checked to see if the idle speed stop screw locknut has come loose, and hence the idle speed is self-adjusting due to engine vibration?

Unlikely, but possible.
this might be a signature
spigven
Confirmed BX'er

Post by spigven »

Thanks

It's not loose.

Mark