BX GTi for sale. Very very reluctant. New MOT, 5 months tax

Buy or sell parts etc. Please put 'Wanted' in the title if it is a request for parts.
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Susan Donym wrote:I dont know maybe I'm the exception but I would rather have a petrol BX than a diseasel one any day
Yes you are lol!

I like them both for different reasons.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
BX Meteor
BXpert

Post by BX Meteor »

Mr.Majestic wrote:car is still for sale! nobody has even looked at it! all i have had is various scam artists trying to get my bank account details so far......

and before you say it..I'm not dropping the price for a quick sale!! Loads of emails, but no shows. Wierd - as the motor is priced fairly......hmmmm
Some people will choose to argue with my point below... rather than thread hijack I suggest opening a new thread "do petrol or diesel BX's fetch the higher price today", and resume the argument all over again (FYI I have always had petrol BX's, but if I wanted a BX now I would buy a diesel, because I would want to just cruise around and get high mpg).

Assuming that diesel BX's fetch more money than petrol BX's (see note above), and since this diesel went for £1045 ebay auction, then you might be waiting a while to sell at the price you want.

Also: auctions are sometimes (not always of course) a better way to get a high price.

Also: £1000 seems to be a barrier

Finally: spring is a better time to sell too (no xmas run up, longer days, summer coming, etc, etc)
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

We finaaly find something we agree on :wink: :lol: Yes I can't argue with any of that and to add my 2 peneth the GTI's & 4x4 are far from the top of the tree anymore; the current BX buyer wants an alternate everyday car they can use reliably and economically. i have noticed a resurgence in basic petrols over the more complicated petrols from those who are not enticed by the diesel option. Also as I have already stated in this thread below; One owner nice cars with history etc. have always fetched a premium and when one sells at a decent price as this TZD estate it does not equal a sudden boom in prices, there are still many BX's failing to sell in the current climate.

http://www.bxclub.co.uk/forum/viewtopic ... highlight=
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
BX Meteor
BXpert

Post by BX Meteor »

:D :lol: =D> \:D/ ^^bx>
anaconda
BXpert

Post by anaconda »

There are two other GTIs for sale at present (ebay and classic car sales), both are under £800 and have been up for a good while. Quality commands a premium, at least in theory, so again it will be interesting to see how this one goes.
1991 BX TGD Saloon
1990 VW T25 Camper. Currently on sabbatical
maxgreenwood
BXpert

This tourer's grand

Post by maxgreenwood »

Just a quick note to say i am the new owner of this GTi. Continuing engine problems with the 16 has prompted me into swift action with this one.

There are a few jobs to make it the way i want it, but 1st impressions are good. Bodily it is one of the best i have seen, the only bit of real rust i have found so far is up in the front wheel arch and under the air filter area, which will need some attention. Underneath and all the sills are very good, even the jacking points are all straight and factory coated (i think!).

It has had an incident along it's right side at one point as the driver's side wing is re-sprayed from red and the door you can tell in certain lights has been filled and sprayed. But that's only cos the paint is in such good condition! Inside is pretty immaculate, very black, very 80s.

The steering and gear change are as close to new as i think i'd find on a BX, very tight. All round excellent, apart from the ride! Which was very firm when i test drove, new spheres all round i figured, so i've been handy with the Pleiades tool and i've got my 16TZS fronts on there at the moment, which seem to be behaving correctly, but the back ones are very 'gone' so if i can persuade the old ones off i'll swap those as well. I wouldn't have thought it but the dead rears are really compromising the entire car's ride, even though the front is very soft. And Mr. Chidlow advises me of the importance of tyre choice, current ones i've never heard of, could do with changing, so i think i might put the michelins from the 16 on.

The engine runs a little rough at light steady throttle, i didn't notice it too much on the test drive, only on the way to the ferry! It's annoying round town and cruising steadily. Changed the plugs and was imagining all sorts of problems but tonight noticed in the dark that three of the HT Leads are lighting up at the plugs so hopefully replacing those may bring me some joy.

It's a very nice motor but i'll have to sort the ride and running then i'll be very happy. And i might have to get rid of the pram handle on the back, although my 5 year old seems to think it's really cool. I think i paid a reasonable price for it, it seems myself and Mr. Majestic both came away feeling we could've done better! So i guess we met in the middle.

Oh , and it's fast! the low end torque is very welcome for hills and doddling round town, 1st BX i've had which doesn't feel it when you load it up with people or stuff. And it really comes alive above 4000rpm, not that i've been thrashing it :) Hopefully lower down will be better when the running issues are sorted.

I'll get some pictures up when i can prob in the next week.

Chapter 3, The GTi.
'92 16TXS (m), Dark metallic green, 74k
'90 16TZS (m), White, 86k
'89 19TRS auto, Olympic Blue, 133k
'88 Saab 900 8v Turbo (auto) 107k Red with Tan leather, lovely drive and well maintained.
'07 Hyundai Santa Fe 2.2 CRDi 85k (m). Practical family wagon
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Whats the plan with the 16TZS max, well done on the GTi though!
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
RxBX
Over 2k

Post by RxBX »

Well done MAX =D> I look forward to your new photo's !

:D

Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

E X C E L L E N T ! Max. Well done. YOU must bring it on the Challenge now! :D =D>
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
maxgreenwood
BXpert

Post by maxgreenwood »

Yes Phil, i thought you might say that! :D

It is actually very relaxing to drive on a run, more so than i thought was possible from a BX, this one feels very solid and sure footed on the road. So , in answer, I am mulling it over, I know it is approaching fast but i've plenty on in the next few months to spring, i'll have to play it by ear nearer the time. Could be just the thing though after this busy period.

Tim, I just don't know about the 16 at the moment. I really love that car, I feel quite sad about it being parked up. It rides great, and drives great especially round town with a brand new clutch. New octopus, new struts :shock: I got it really good and it just began blowing sulphurous fumes when up to temp. It has been suggested that the exhaust gas re-circulation isn't working properly or that there is a blockage at some small hole at the back that the oil isn't getting through, building up pressure and squirting oil past the piston rings. Either way, it's more time and probably money than i can spend investigating.

I would let it go to a good home. Needs a bit of welding and exhaust isn't in great shape, and some loose bits of dash trim inside, apart from that, pretty good. Oh , apart from needing a new engine :) Good paintwork.

Robert Smart who writes the XMinations in the CCC mag knows of a donor 16 engine in Northern Ireland, so that is a possibility. I should really rescue it, but i've just spent all my money! I have to have a car that works at the moment.
'92 16TXS (m), Dark metallic green, 74k
'90 16TZS (m), White, 86k
'89 19TRS auto, Olympic Blue, 133k
'88 Saab 900 8v Turbo (auto) 107k Red with Tan leather, lovely drive and well maintained.
'07 Hyundai Santa Fe 2.2 CRDi 85k (m). Practical family wagon
bxzx16v
BXpert

Post by bxzx16v »

That's a great example you have , they don't come along that nice very often

Mark
bx petrol auto saloon
BXpert
My Cars: Citroens SAABs and Vauxhalls

BX GTI For Sale.

Post by bx petrol auto saloon »

Dear Max.
Well done and congratulations on your new BX GTI, she does look a
stunner Max. I just bought a White 93 1.6 TXi auto with 47,000 miles to
go with my 88 900i with 69,000 miles, both cars are like new and I love
cleaning and working on them both, and love driving them, I only do
about 300 miles a year Maximum, but still love every minute though. 8)
Just finished renewing the cambelt, tensioner, waterpump and a new
radiator too, and she is running like new now. :wink:
All the best Mat.
Vince.
Passion Hydropneumatic Citroen,s

Cars;- 1993 White Citroen BX 1.6 TXi petrol
saloon auto with air-con & ABS.
47,594 Miles from new.
Owned for 3 years sorned.
1988 Silver SAAB 900i 2.0 8v F/lift,
saloon 5sp with 3 spoke Ronals,
69,000 Miles from new.