I AM NEVER Looking at EBAY ever again

Anything about BXs
messerschmitt owner
BXpert

I AM NEVER Looking at EBAY ever again

Post by messerschmitt owner »

I was looking at Ebay this evening and seem to have bought a car!

No, not a Citroen - swmbo wouldnt let me - despite there being a superb £350 diesel in London for £350 and an XM estate for £595 - instead, she bought this ...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/White-Fiat-12 ... 3a6deefb1b

My christmas present or hers?
Citroen XM 2.1TD SX hatchback
Citroen XM 2.1TD VSX estate
Smart Roadster
Fiat Punto Cabriolet
Messerschmitt Kr200
Bond minicar mk C
Fiat 126 Bis
BX-less at the moment!
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Blimey. Seems strong money for one of those, but it doesn't appear to be a complete rot box like most of them...

I must admit to not being a fan of the water-cooled ones, but presumably they're nowhere near as horrendous as a Fiat 500.
messerschmitt owner
BXpert

Ian
it isn't strong money - they're going for up to £2000 for an aircooled and £1700 or so for a bis in good nick. The Bis engine is OK - and you get a hatch (that rusts). It isn't half as bad as everyone makes out! This is number four ...

Anyway, it has 11 months MoT, is ready to rock and roll and swmbo is happy.

Reinvested the z600 spares money (which was found money, as they sold yesterday) in it.
Smart Roadster
Fiat Punto Cabriolet
Messerschmitt Kr200
Bond minicar mk C
Fiat 126 Bis
BX-less at the moment!
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

You just need a matching one for the other foot now :lol:

I had an early 126 beach car once - stuck it on Ebay after I discovered that I was looking over the windscreen to drive and it ended up in Scotland.
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Why do all the cheap crappy cars I've never got around to owning keep getting so bloomin' expensive? Far too late, I've decided I'd quite like a Reliant Robin. After all, they're a hoot to drive and they're dirt cheap! Well, they were about ten years ago... MOTd examples were selling for a couple of hundred quid then. They seem to be a couple of grand in decent nick now too. Balls.
messerschmitt owner
BXpert

Ian

I feel the same - some of the stuff I sold just as it picked up - my W123 230TE estate - bought for £550, sold for £750 after 40k miles of fun and 18 months.

My first 126s were all bought and sold for peanuts, the bubblecars, the Land Rover Dormobile - bought for 1500, sold for 1500!

I've wanted to own a few things since and they're all worth more now they're no longer bangers!
Smart Roadster
Fiat Punto Cabriolet
Messerschmitt Kr200
Bond minicar mk C
Fiat 126 Bis
BX-less at the moment!
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

Far too late, I've decided I'd quite like a Reliant Robin. After all, they're a hoot to drive and they're dirt cheap! Well, they were about ten years ago... MOTd examples were selling for a couple of hundred quid then. They seem to be a couple of grand in decent nick now too. Balls.
I had one about 4 years ago - paid £300 for it, and it was the most entertaining motor I've ever owned. The secret is to fit the cheapest tyres possible, as then it slides before it rolls, then use the direct steering to correct the oversteer.
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
Gibbo2286
BXpert

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Made me chuckle, one of my village neighbours bought one of those from a Fiat dealer, collected it on Saturday, the engine disintegrated on his way to work on Monday, the dealer came out and collected it, lent him another one while they fixed it, on Wednesday the rear wheel and hub fell off the second one taking the brake shoes and cylinder with it.

He wasn't pleased :D went to have it out with the dealer, they fixed both of them to go and told him he could keep both.
smiffy1071
pies are evil!

Post by smiffy1071 »

Dollywobbler wrote:Why do all the cheap crappy cars I've never got around to owning keep getting so bloomin' expensive? Far too late, I've decided I'd quite like a Reliant Robin. After all, they're a hoot to drive and they're dirt cheap! Well, they were about ten years ago... MOTd examples were selling for a couple of hundred quid then. They seem to be a couple of grand in decent nick now too. Balls.

My first car back when I was 19 (I'm 42 now) was a Reliant Robin, I used to have great fun having races with AC Invacars! (You know, those pastel blue invalid carriages) I would drive from Bristol to Preston to visit family every few weeks.

I think the main reason they are now so expensive, is that mindless morons have buggered most of them up by painting them yellow, and pretending they are driving the car from a well known BBC TV show.

It also really irritates me when shows like top gear, buy them just to deliberately trash them.
bxzx16v
BXpert

Post by bxzx16v »

While their trashing plastic pigs their not trashing Bx's

Mark
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

True, but the pointless destruction of anything doesn't appeal to me. Fair enough, some of the time they may have been destined for the crusher but even so it's a waste. And I imagine that a lot of the time a BBC purchaser will browse through car adverts and just pay the asking price if there's something which fits the bill.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
KevR
1K Away
My Cars: It's all in my signature

Post by KevR »

Dollywobbler wrote: presumably they're nowhere near as horrendous as a Fiat 500.
Wash your mouth out! I've definitely got to get a 500 at some point – for those times when a 2CV is just too scarily fast... :lol:

A mate had one when we were 17 - 1983-ish. Two hours after he passed his test we were to be seen flat out down the biggest hill in the area, him sitting on the back of the driver's seat, half out of the sunroof, trying to fix the horn wiring, me steering and operating the hand throttle from the driver's seat. The steering was so stiff you could put it in gear, set it a bit above tickover, put it on full lock and walk away while it went round and round in circles in the car park. Top fun.

I have a plan to go to Rome, buy one and drive it back to Normandy. They are still absolutely everywhere there.
1990 BX TZD Estate ('the grey one', 1991 BX TZD Estate ('the white one'), 1982 2CV6 Charleston (in bits), 1972 AZU Serie B (2CV van), 1974 HY72 Camper, 1990 Land Rover 110 diesel LWB, 1957 Mobylette AV76, 1992 Ducati 400SS, 1966 VW Beetle, 1990 Mazda MX-5, 1996 Peugeot 106D, 1974 JCB 2D MkII, 1997 BMW R1100RS, 1987 Suzuki GSX-R1100, 1978 Honda CX500A, 1965 Motobecane Cady, 1988 Honda Bros/Africa Twin, 1963 Massey Ferguson 825, and a lot of bicycles!
RxBX
Over 2k

Post by RxBX »

bxzx16v wrote:While their trashing plastic pigs their not trashing Bx's

Mark
If you know why the Reliant Robin/Regals are called a 'Plastic Pig' (That's fine) ?

If you don't, click onto THIS-LINK and all will be revealed !

:lol:

BX Meteor
BXpert

Post by BX Meteor »

/\ =D> that link
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Kev - sorry but I got to drive a Fiat 500 earlier this year and it was utterly horrific. I was so disappointed. I jumped from that into a knackered Reliant Regal and the three-wheeler felt like a ruddy sports car. The Robin I drove afterwards felt like a Ferrari. Yet the Fiat 500 in this country is several thousand pounds more expensive. Doesn't make sense.

As for Reliant values, one thing that's pushed them up is that they're very popular for banger racing, with their own series. Tony Mason had a go many years ago for Top Gear. Apparently, current Top Gear bought 40 (yes, 40!) Reliants earlier this year. Also apparently, the one Clarkson drove that kept falling over was made to do so by having different sized wheels on each side... I can confirm that the Robin especially is surprisingly stable. A (plastic) pig to work on though!