Green laning in a BX

Anything about BXs
Jmcc
Confirmed BX'er

Green laning in a BX

Post by Jmcc »

Just driven back to Norfolk to see the folks and decided to break the tail end of the journey by seeing how the BX coped with green landing :)

Am running winter tyres so a small grip benefit, but was amazed at how well she went! Previously done the same lane in a Suzuki SJ and a Land Cruiser, but despite only having 2WD the BX coped as well as they did, and was more comfortable to boot! Awesome.

So, does anyone else get up to this sort of thing in their BX?

Edited for typos on phone...
Last edited by Jmcc on Fri Dec 30, 2011 5:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
1993 BX 17TZD Break
1993 Porsche 968 ClubSport
1964 VW Type 2 T1 (Splittie) Camper
Paul296
Over 2k
My Cars: Citroen BX 17 TZD Hurricane
Citroen BX 17 TGD

Post by Paul296 »

no ( :D )
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Did you mean green LANING? by any chance, if so no way, I wouldnt risk wrecking my car!
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Yeah, I did a bit of green laning in The Green Tiger, and my 2CV has tackled a few in its time as well. There's no danger of damaging the car if you're careful. It's all about plotting your route and not driving like an idiot.
Jmcc
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Jmcc »

I made sure I picked a fairly tame lane - only danger was from the undergrowth scraping along the sides, but my paint ain't that great anyway! Remember, these are rights of way and if maintained are perfectly useable :)

Also, diesel lump works really well just running on the idle governor - feet off and she virtually drove herself!
1993 BX 17TZD Break
JayW
1K Away

Post by JayW »

Do you count mountain climbing and sedate (60mph) rally stages...? :roll:
I have zero patience for your tedium.
Discoil
BXpert

Post by Discoil »

I was towing the caravan at the time on a field with a 40 degree slope and stopped to ask 2 land rover drivers where to pitch.
Duly noted , and drove on to to pitch up.

I was told later the next day that that one of the land rovers was stuck next to the wall and the other one was about to pull him out,

and after I went ,

they stood gobsmacked watching me drive off.

8) I was only in a BX estate with a ton of caravan on tow 8)
Land Rover Discovery TD5
JayW
1K Away

Post by JayW »

I've frequented the greenery of Cornwall many times since i've been down here but tend to be behind the wheel at the time... but here's a few from last years Highlands trip... I believe there's nowhere a BX can't go and if i had my dream 2.1td 4x4 i'd prove it! :wink:

Oh, and of course there's my (slightly over-exaggerated) "Rally Stage", sadly never got over 60mph as after all, i had to drive the 800 miles home in it :wink:
kiwi
Over 2k

Post by kiwi »

When I read this I was wondering what you were talking about!

I think I need to upload some of the video footage of the roads I travel to youtube to get a better idea!

Meanwhile dig up some photos :lol:
1991 BX19 TZS 04/01/91 (Deceased)
1990 BX19 TRS 27/10/89 (Reborn)
1992 BX19 TXD (Ex UK - K 744 SDF) 15/06/92
1990 BX19 TZS Auto 06/11/1989
1992 BX TZD Turbo Estate (Ex UK) 1/07/91
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

I hate to point out that there is something the BX can't do, but I got horribly stuck in a BX once, attempting a spot of off roading.

We were travelling back through France late once night, to catch a ferry the next morning. We had planned to spend the night at a Formula 1, but it was full so after a quick look at the map had found a spot of woodland in which we might be able to pitch a tent. Drove off a main road onto a single track road, and then spotted a grassy track we hoped would lead to a suitable clearing.

So off we went, until we lost traction in a bit of a hollow on the dewy grass. Got out of the car to assess the situation, and with comedy timing it started to rain heavily - any attempts to move just dug us deeper into the mud. Jacking it up was not an option as even on high it was so stuck the jack would not fit under the sills. We did walk back to the road, and flag down any passing motorists but for some reason the few that did pass seemed reluctant to stop for a desperate looking man covered in mud and soaking wet....

After a couple of hours pushing and cursing, we gave up and chucked out the stuff in the back so we could try and sleep. The fact that the airbed developed a puncture did not help with a restful night's sleep. There was no mobile signal, so in the morning I planned to find a farm and (with the aid of pictures) explain the situation and get a tow.

Fortunately (and uncharacteristically) I had the bight idea of sliding the spare wheel under the car to support it while I lowered the suspension. This enabled us to pack the ruts with gravel, which was painstakingly scraped off the road a significant walk away. Fortunately it was just enough to gain traction and get back to the road. After a stressful high speed drive to Dunkirque we (just) made the ferry, but we didn't really laugh about the incident until we were safely back home.

Apart from that then yeah, the BX isn't bad off road!

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
JayW
1K Away

Post by JayW »

Jmcc wrote:I made sure I picked a fairly tame lane - only danger was from the undergrowth scraping along the sides, but my paint ain't that great anyway! Remember, these are rights of way and if maintained are perfectly useable :)
Just noticed this comment and thought i should fill you in (oooh-er)... Actually, due the the less responsible fraternity of "green laners" tearing up the countryside in their Discos & Landcruisers the law was changed in either 2003 or 2005 (can't quite recall which) the term "Byway" (i.e. non-maintained historic right-of-way) was redesignated "Restriced (protected) Byway".

The basic upshot of this is you no longer have the right to drive a mechanically propelled vehicle down a Byway except for the purposes of "Access" i.e. farmers to a field or NatGrid to a pylon for example.

Of course, if you can get away with it, or you're genuinely not being a proper knob you should be ok if you're not caught (as i've never been). Standard fixed-penalty "chancellor-shag" if you do get busted though :wink:
JayW
1K Away

Post by JayW »

Mat, i am proud to call you my mighty odd, slightly mad and hapless friend bah ha ha :rofl:
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

:lol: :lol: :lol: Maybe another for the book?

It's only the Roads Used as Public Paths which were designated as restricted Byways - the Byways open to All Traffic are still OK to drive on but there's much less choice than there used to be.
Jay wrote:there's my (slightly over-exaggerated) "Rally Stage", sadly never got over 60mph
Oooh, might have to try that in my back yard! :idea: Hmmm, on second thoughts, maybe not...

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

As Mat says, a BOAT is usually fine to drive down, a RUPP isn't always. Check with the local council as it can be confusing. We get a lot of idiots here in Wales (especially on bikes and quads) who just drive where they please and give off-roaders a very bad reputation.

To be honest, apart from the trick suspension, there's not a lot that a BX possesses that makes it any better than anything else off road. A really boggy bit is still likely to be an issue, though especially the diesels have lots of grunt at tickover for 'trickling.'

I'm quite keen to have a go at Production Car Trials. It's basically off-road hillclimbing for normal cars. Winning vehicles have included both an AX GT and a Saxo. I'm quite tempted to have a go in one of my fleet. I reckon the BX might be quite handy.
Jmcc
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Jmcc »

Just to confirm - lanes used have been checked at County Hall on the definitive map and are fine :-)
1993 BX 17TZD Break