Cold weather steering wheel

Anything about BXs
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Cold weather steering wheel

Post by Philip Chidlow »

The plastic steering wheel is sooooo slippery when it's chilly. 175000 miles has taken all the texture off, making it super smooth. Before I consider either changing it has anyone tried sanding this stuff to get some roughness back? lol
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

Steering wheel cover?

Andy
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Mmmm, thought of that but a) I don't like them unless they are the sew-on leather type (and the standard BX steering wheel has a rather significant portion where stitching a cover on isn't an option, and b) with the wheel twirling we'll do on the Challenge it might not be ideal. But I shall investigate.

I could swap for a 16v-type/late wheel but they were only black, so might look a bit odd. The alternative I guess might be to fit a less worn grey wheel - if I can find one.
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

My Estate came with a 16v steering wheel Phil, plus the gear knob and it looks ok.
In fact if and when i sell her or she dies it will be swapped onto the replacement. Thought about putting one on the TGS but think it best i keep her all original.

Do agree though, the stitched on covers are the best.

Andy
dyates2

slippery rim

Post by dyates2 »

Phil, about your steering wheel, some of the auto refinishing outfits(dent devel, chips away, dent master etc) also do interior refinishing. they do it mainly for cars on dealer forecourts and i have seen a piece in Car Mechanics mag where they did a steering wheel. It had a VERY smooth, worn rim but they degreased it, sanded it, computer matched some flexible vinyl paint and re sprayed it whilst still on the car. they even recreated the rim texture. you couldn't tell it had been done..... price £45.00 - if my memory serves me.
daren
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

/\ good tip Daren, I didn't know they did that.
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
dyates2

Post by dyates2 »

if i can find the article, i will let you have it.
daren
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

dyates2 wrote:if i can find the article, i will let you have it.

daren
Hi Daren,
i too would be interested as the steering wheel on my Mk1 is a bit 'rough' so to speak.

Andy
dyates2

Post by dyates2 »

ok gents, i will dig it out next week and let you know.
daren
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

Nice pair of Marigolds Phil? There's some very fetching shades these days. Suits you Sir!
Todd

this yellow writing is really hard to read
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

I have a pair of leather driving gloves... The sort you might have expected to see Terry Thomas or Leslie Phillips wear... :lol:
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

Gardening gloves. You know, the leather palm n finger type with the cloth backs that let stingers get you. Ideal for gripping a steering wheel or getting dirty under the bonnet. :lol:

Andy
Oscar
1K Away

Post by Oscar »

Some bicycle handlebar tape would sort it. Umpteen shades, materials, textures, and thicknesses available, only costs a few quid, easy to fit and easy to remove.
(Red BX 1.7TZD ("Well, it is a style icon" - Tom Sheppard)) "Was", Tom, "was"
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

Oscar wrote:Some bicycle handlebar tape would sort it. Umpteen shades, materials, textures, and thicknesses available, only costs a few quid, easy to fit and easy to remove.
Ime sure it would but would it look nice?

Ide like to keep mine as original as possible. Anyone got a good nick Mk 1 steering wheel out there??

Andy
maxgreenwood
BXpert

Post by maxgreenwood »

i like the bicycle tape idea, it always looks pretty cool on handlebars, the problem is the bit of the wheel that joins the flat single 'spoke'. There must be some good ones lying around abandoned. I should've saved the one from the 70k 17TGD i had (briefly).
'92 16TXS (m), Dark metallic green, 74k
'90 16TZS (m), White, 86k
'89 19TRS auto, Olympic Blue, 133k
'88 Saab 900 8v Turbo (auto) 107k Red with Tan leather, lovely drive and well maintained.
'07 Hyundai Santa Fe 2.2 CRDi 85k (m). Practical family wagon