Spoiler

Anything about BXs
stuart_hedges
1K Away

Spoiler

Post by stuart_hedges »

The spoiler on my tailgate has always been a bit loose and it finally fell off yesterday :(

I was at my dad's when it happened and he came up with a pretty good suggestion - leave it off. I wasn't sure at first, but after driving home without the spoiler I'm inclined to agree with him. I don't think it really suits the lines of the car, rear visibility is much improved, and I'll be able to change the rear wiper!

I doubt that it had any real aerodynamic effect - I certainly couldn't feel any difference blatting home down the motorway last night.

The area where it bolts on is a bit of a mess but Dad's pretty handy with filler and paint so we're going to give it a go. The glue and general mank needs sanding off, then there are the screw holes to fill (currently covered up with Duck tape) and some painting and making good.

Not sure WHEN we're going to get round to it as I'm moving house in a couple of weeks so I'm pretty busy at the moment but I'll let you know how it went!
M

Post by M »

Horses for courses innit?

There will always be those who feel the spoiler looks good and makes the car look better for it, then there will be those who feel it makes the car look pants and knackers rearward visibility.

One thing for sure, it wont make your car any more aerodynamic having one, nor will it markedly inprove roadholding with its downward force.

If your happy with it off, leave it off - but it might be better to try sourcing a bootlid without one ever having been fitted (being GRP).
silverfox
Confirmed BX'er

Re: Spoiler

Post by silverfox »

Whether or not there is an effect from it personally I like the appearance and gives my BX that distinct look! But the spoiler seems to have the effect of keeping the rear screen rain free by diverting air across the screen at anything above dawdling speeds - will be interesting to have feedback from non-spoiler owners. Geoff
Me depressed? Don't make me laugh!
stuart_hedges
1K Away

Post by stuart_hedges »

Thanks Marty. I wouldn't say the spoiler looks pants... it just doesn't do anything for me. I can take it or leave it, and it has obviously chosen to leave of its own accord!

If anyone happens to have a spoiler-free ERZ rear hatch sitting around I'd be happy to take it, but patching the existing one up is the free option.

Dad and I will enjoy doing it, too. I have no idea why he has a fibreglass repair kit in his garage but he's obviously itching to use it and who am I to argue?!
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

That sums up my impression of the effect of the spoiler as well. The normal spoiler is distinctive to BX's unlike the style of the later 16v's which has a spoiler similar to other marques.

Even though not truly an accessory it could be classed as "the most acceptable of acceptable accessories".
1991 BX19GTi Auto
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

My post related to silverfoxes points.
1991 BX19GTi Auto
M

Post by M »

Yup, I have stuff in the shed im just itching to use!

For what its worth, having had a BX with the hoop spoiler, I didnt like it either. Still its a useful place to rest your fags & brew when working on the beast!
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

What colour is your car Stuart?
Vauxhall apologist.
stuart_hedges
1K Away

Post by stuart_hedges »

It's got ERZ stamped under the bonnet, which I assume is the paint code. Kinda greyish. I'll try to post pics at the weekend!
Oscar
1K Away

Post by Oscar »

I remember Tim posting that he had broken the spoiler off when pushing the car, and a big discussion on how to stick it back again!
(Red BX 1.7TZD ("Well, it is a style icon" - Tom Sheppard)) "Was", Tom, "was"
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

stuart_hedges wrote:It's got ERZ stamped under the bonnet, which I assume is the paint code. Kinda greyish. I'll try to post pics at the weekend!
Don`t hold me to it but I MIGHT have a BX coming for spares which is the same colour. Post a picture up if you get the chance and I`ll take a look.
Vauxhall apologist.
stuart_hedges
1K Away

Post by stuart_hedges »

Cheers Cavmad! I took some pics today and will put them up tomorrow, once I've transferred them off the camera.
stuart_hedges
1K Away

Post by stuart_hedges »

Here we go! Sorry for the poor quality, it's an old camera that came free with a PC years ago. Here goes anyway:

More can be found here: http://www.geocities.com/stuart_hedges/cars/puy.htm
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

I`ll give you a shout if I pick the other BX up mate, I`ll need to look at it again to make sure it`s same colour.
Vauxhall apologist.
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Post by Stewart (oily!) »

Wot no spoiler? YEUKK! ther is a previous thread on this very subject, if you dont have a spoiler the back end will fly away :D
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Xantia Td estate, going soft