Last chance for this BX

Buy or sell parts etc. Please put 'Wanted' in the title if it is a request for parts.
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Guys, its £300, not £3000! What do you want,

My 19TZD that I bought a few months back has rust holes, more than I expected as it solid up top, but after all its a 20 year old french car that cost £250, NOT £2500!, and its needed spheres, and arm bearings and now a new clutch, but thats life and once its done its done and a lovely car it will be.

I will get the welding done very soon, and it will be fine, the St Tropez (the Tesco Value BX) needed similar repairs, which have since been done, the GT has had a patch done there, as had my 16v and probably half the BX's on this forum, Mulleys car for one, which was quite rotten but has been repaired properly and will carry on for many a year to come.

Maybe it shouldnt have passed the MOT, but thats 7 months ago now.

Paul is aware that it needs welding to the inner wing, and lets face it when it comes to rust, the hole ALWAYS ends up bigger than it looks when you start hacking at it. You wont buy a £300 car of that age, and not have to do some work too it.

I still think for the money its a good buy and I expect Paul will too, with some time and money getting the inner wing properly sorted asap he will have a very nice example which is too good to scrap.

It does seem Ken has been caught out buy this but its all mendable and after all just a bit of rusty metal that someones tarted up to make it look better than it is, something alot of cars out there are guilty of.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

Hi Daren, shame about the car I can imagine you were very disapointed especially as it does look such a nice car. Let's hope a more suitable one comes along for you soon and hope Paul gets this one sorted too.

Tim, remember this was a £450 car when Daren went to look at it not £300 and anybody would have been disapointed if they had gone expexcting to buy a 'mint' car only to find that amount of corrosion.(which quite clearly shouldn't have passed the mot.)

EDIT:

p.s. I do think it's worth every penny at £300 and would have been queing up at Kens door if it had PAS. This is my favourite colour combo with my favourite BX interior.
Last edited by Defender110 on Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
richardd1652
1K Away

Post by richardd1652 »

I will still give her a chance if Paul changes his mind.
Richard.
1985 MK1 BX Digit
1986 MK1 BX Leader
1988 19RD
1983 Tin Snail
dyates2

Post by dyates2 »

Hello, Daren again,

I must stress that as I am the only person around here that has seen it in the flesh, I feel it is worth saving.
Once done it will be a sturdy motorway mile muncher for years to come. If we were the type of guys that balance what you spend on a car against its monetary value, there would be no classics and we would all be driving a new Mundaneo.
I guess we are all BX lovers but have different thresholds for walking away from such a car. This needs significant bodywork rectification with a load of mechanical work to make it good again.
The cars that pass into the hands of those with higher thresholds will ultimately live longer. Of course the bx is not worth £300, it is a essentially a scrap or parts car that has been viewed through rose tinted specs.
Worth is after all in the eyes of the vendor and purchaser to debate, however, this BX is at a crossroads in its life. It is in an unsafe condition at present and that can't be argued with, what happens next is up to you.
Considerably worse cars have been saved just because they have an MG or Triumph badge up front !!

daren
Paul296
Over 2k
My Cars: Citroen BX 17 TZD Hurricane
Citroen BX 17 TGD

Post by Paul296 »

It's a car that needs some work doing to get it really tidy. It's 20 years old and the asking price is 300 hundred quid. Sounds like par for the course to me. I'll have a look at it tomorrow and see what the deal is.
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Defender110 wrote:
Tim, remember this was a £450 car when Daren went to look at it not £300 and anybody would have been disapointed if they had gone expexcting to buy a 'mint' car only to find that amount of corrosion.(which quite clearly shouldn't have passed the mot.)
Wish I could buy a mint BX diesel for £450!, even at £450 I dont think imho it being a bad buy. They all need work, as said before the 19TZD will probably end up oweing me best part of £800-900 when its all done, but worth every penny to me and should be a great mile muncher when done.
Defender110
Over 2k

Post by Defender110 »

Roverman wrote: Wish I could buy a mint BX diesel for £450!, even at £450 I dont think imho it being a bad buy. They all need work, as said before the 19TZD will probably end up oweing me best part of £800-900 when its all done, but worth every penny to me and should be a great mile muncher when done.
I quite agree Tim but that doesn't alter the fact Daren thought he was going looking at a mint car only to find this severe corrosion, disapointment was inevitable in this situation unfortunately.

I paid £750 for my TZD, £800 for my TGD Auto which needed a further £500 for new n/s wing door and paint before it hit the road So the TGD Auto stands me at £1300 but that doesn't make it's market value £1300 but both are without doubt worth every penny to me. I have already had several years zero depreciation motoring from them and have no intention of getting rid of either of them in the foreseeable future (touches wood)
The current market value for a TZD probably is £8-900 but this isn't a TZD is it? I prefer N/A TGD's but the market in general doesn't. I also personally think BX's are seriously undervalued but market forces control the values not us enthusisats who already own one or more, I don't however mind the values being so low as it makes our hobby much more affordable and as stated I have no intention of selling mine and the less they are worth the longer this will probably realistickly be the case.
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Don't forget, my estate cost £250. That was with no MOT and it had been sitting in a garage for three years. It had (and still has!) LOTS of rot. This at £50 more seems good value as long as you enter into ownership expecting to pay out more to sort it out, which it seems Paul is doing. Yes, it's super-rare, but that doesn't usually affect BX values!

I started ranting at the start of this thread, but I'm much more chilled out having seen how this has developed and as I've got a better understanding of the frustration all-round. It'll be good to see it saved.
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

£300 doesnt buy you much these days, I think its ok for the money.
Defender110
Over 2k

Post by Defender110 »

I have never seen a BX more ripe for saving and would definately step in myself if for any reason other avenues don't pan out (I feel sure they will) it is just a shame Ken is currently stuck in the middle of this when he quite evidently needs it like another hole in the bum at the moment. I hope things pan out better for you soon Ken and you keep hold of the auto to stay with us during brighter times.
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

Car now sold
They think it's all over, it is now!
Paul296
Over 2k
My Cars: Citroen BX 17 TZD Hurricane
Citroen BX 17 TGD

Post by Paul296 »

ken newbold wrote:Car now sold
. . . to me! Pretty much what I expected; a lovely looking car that needs (and deserves) a bit of time and money to get it ship shape. I've started making plans to get the welding done and getting the low down on recent servicing, so that I know exactly what needs doing in order to get it back to the 'mile munching' condition of which it is more than capable. It'll also need a new bonnet at some point as the inner skin of the current metal one is . . . a bit worse for wear!

Hopefully by the Summer I'll be able to take my Hurricane off the road and the TGD will be my daily drive. Meantime I'll be starting a rigorous regime of push-ups and bench presses to prepare myself for unassisted steering - the exercise will do me good! :D The opportunity to help Ken out of a spot was an added pleasure.

I think BX ownership still offers fabulous value for money. We're lucky that the world and his wife just don't 'get' them or the chances are most of us would be priced out of the market - I certainly would! I have VW and Triumph lovin' mates who look at the prices we pay for our 'objects of desire' with envy. Anyway . . .

Scrapper; 0 BX; 1 - Result!

^^bx> ^^ ^^
Last edited by Paul296 on Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
mds141
Over 2k

Post by mds141 »

Well done Paul. =D>
Mark Smith

Is it just me or is everything shit?

1989 BX GTi 16 valve. Blanc Alpine. Completed the Citroen Classic Challenge Ecosse and 1337 miles without a hitch.
2000 XM VSX 2.1 td Auto. Rouge Magenta.
TGD saloon many years ago.

1990 Swift 'Corniche' 12/2 aka BXClub HQ.
Honda Firestorm. Gone, but not forgotten.
2015 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC.
Mickey taker
Over 2k

Post by Mickey taker »

bugger , and there was me thinking I might get a cheap tow bar and front bumper with splitter for the meteor ,

good save paul and a good outcome all round
1991 BX Meteor 1.6

light travels faster than sound, thats why you look intelligent and then you spoil it all by opening your mouth !!!!!
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Great, see you Saturday mid morning then Paul.