Well, Mark's Meteor is finally outside my house -

Anything about BXs
scooters
Confirmed BX'er

Well, Mark's Meteor is finally outside my house -

Post by scooters »

Well well well,

The 1991 BX16 Meteor so loveingly cared for by mnde is now outsuide my house having been v ery kindly collected from mnde towers in Woking last week and driven to Kinross by Autoshite.com member The Moog (aka Will) who left it at his Mother in Laws house.

Mrs S gave me a lift in the Scoob up to Moog's Mother-in-Law's place in Kinross this morning to collect the BX. Lovely sunny autumn day up here and the drive over the Forth bridge was excellent The only drag being they are digging up the A90 and M90 at the moment so it is 40 (av speed camera facists) most of the way so we were a wee bit late.

Will's Mil's house was easy to locate as it was the only one on the street with PSA's finest angular chod parked outside it - squatting suitably low on it's haunches. First glance was ho ho! A collection of wonderful BX nutter related stickers on the back window and boot door and the outrageous spoiler is in pretty god fettle compared to some I have seen. Mark (mnde) has kept the car in excellent daily condition. The central locking worked on the key with usual Citroen stick-the-door-lock-knob-through-your-elbow-when-you-are-resting-your-arm-on-the-window-ledge power and I climbed into the wonderfully comfortable BX seats.

This is the first time I have owned or even been in a BX that wasn't a range topping Gti or TZD. The Meteror was a special edition with a better tuned 1.6 carbed engine producing 94 Bhp- a similar output to the BX17 Diesel Turbo. Equipment is modest and good - the superb pinstriped fabric interior (I am always impressed with the quality of the non-tweed trim level in 1980s Citroens without exception the 3 BXs and 2 CXs I have owned have always had spotless upholstery a testament to the hard wearing nature of the fabrics used.)

The dash is the usual Mk2 BX affair a pod sitting with good visibility on top of the dash containing a speedo (with the usual BX wobbly needle), a rev counter, oil, petrol but unlike the cars I have owned there is no temperature gauge - only the yellow and red lights of death - if this light comes on all it does is tell your your head is already cooked!! There are electric windows up front and manuals at the back no one touch opening on the driver's side as in the Gti and TZD. An electric sunroof, digital clock, parcel shelf sunblinds and that's your lot. No electric mirrors, aircon,rear electric windows. I tried the key and the battery is indeed dead. Will had reported that getting close to Kinross after the 450 mile drive the lights were beginning to dim and Mark has mentioned that the alternator brushes were on their last legs - looks like they have finally given up. No matter, I had the big battery from the Pug in the boot of the scoob and some jump leads so I hooked it all up and the car started on the 4th turn - needs some pedal as Mark said I suspect the autochoke must be sticking a wee bit. The suspension kicks in nice and quickly and up she goes.

This is the first BX I have had without the rear quarter perspex windows and it does make the back seats a gloomy place to be! I quite like it!!!

Under the bonnet I was amazed at how dinky the 1.6 with the carb looks - slightly offset infront of the driver (as per the CX). I'm used to the 1.7/1.9 and XUD and the 1.9 petrol which are significantly larger and with turbos and EFI there is not a lot of space to work under the bonnet. The whole set up looks brilliantly straightforward and all the bits that tend to leave you on the hard shoulder are within easy reach - the alternator is the most accessible I have seen in a while - no burrowing into the bowels of an 850 here!

A quick wander round the car while she warmed up I confirmed the car is exactly how Mark described it (as it was always going to be) body work is very sound in all the nasty BX places - I'll need to sort the sill out and patch the boot exhaust hanger seam at some point. paint on the plastic bonnet and the roof line is worn as described but not unsightly for a car of this type. The paint in other areas is in good nick and I rather suspect that a partial respray of the roof and bonnet could be all that is required.

Mrs S was looking impatient to get back to Edinburgh so I got behind the wheel and we headed off stopping at the petrol station to get some juice for the Scoob - I didn't want to switch the engine on the BX off to see if I could get some charge into it.

It is a good thing to stp away from a car for a while and come back to it. I drove a BX for years, I passed my driving text in a TZD and had Niges old Gti earlier this year. The amazing thing about the BX is that no two models are the same experience..following the Gti the Meteor is a lot more refined and poised on the road - you wouldn't think so but of course the theory with Citroen was rather than sticking in a heavy lump of power, you keep the car as light as possible to maximise the efficiant use of that power and enhance this with superb suspension. The Meteor is far more in this church than and of the other BX's I have owned - you always got the impression with thre others that they were slightly compromising but this car is 100% mad Citroen in the way that a CX22 is. I had forgotten how sooth and refined the suspension is you really do float on the road and the car, despite narrow tyres, handles the bendy bits with supreme and total confidence. The gear change on this example is the best I have ever used on a BX which can be a bit clunky and vauge - this is rifle bolt percise. The car pulls away with ample power and is acceptable throughout the whole range. Even in 5th you get a decent amount of pull - not the XUD type but more than adequate. After the bone shaking Scoob the car feels serene to drive. Noise levels are nice and low under 60mph largely due to Mark's addition of a diesel underbonnet liner which helps to muffle things. The exhaust tone is very similar to the douvrain engined CX 22 I had. There was the occasional blip on the carb when flooring after coasting for a few yards but nothing unacceptable and the car was getting low on gas. Over 60mpg wind noise was quite bad - worse than on any other BX I have driven - I suspect that the 3 vaned wiper spoiler is the source of this so I will remove it to check (despite the fact that it is an ubershite badge!).

There is a clicking from the speedo area - I suspect it is the drive for the tach - probably needs a skoosh of lithium grease - all still working so not too worried about it. The stereo has no face - Will was using it on the way up so I suspect it is in his bag!

I decided to get some gas going into Edinburgh so stopped. This time the battery was totally dead - I jumped it from the spare battery again and drove home - the last half mile there was not enough juice to work the wipers or the indicators or the windows - the central locking was out as well. It certainly looks like the alternator has finally given up the ghost. I hope the battery hasn't suffered too badly either.

So - before I can use the car I really need to sort this out. Before I go ordering bits for it I am going to have a quick look at the 306 Alternator - the 1.9TD runs on a 12V alternator - if I can get it to fit is there any reason why I shouldn't be able to use it in the BX which is also a 12V unit? There may be a wait on the bits for the BX.

anyway a big thanks to Mark and another one to Will for driving it up here - I totally love it and am genuinely impressed with this now rare and very pure model of Citroen. If you want one - there is an identical one on ebay just now!

update - the 306 alternator doesn't fit...I stripped down the one in the car and found, as Mark had mentioned that the 500 mile drive had done for the worn brushes - slip ring had deep trenches and the rectifier didn't look very healthy all these bits add up so £40 later I have a reconned one coming on Friday. Util then I have fettled the alternator as best I could - it was dribbling a meager 9v - lights on 4.6V and now at least is putting out 12V so I might be able to use the indicators and wipers! I've dropped in a battery from a V12 XJ40 - it was a Daimler Double Six which has about 650 cranking amps and is rather large - this should keep me going till Friday. :twisted:

All in all I am very happy to be back in the world of the BX and am really enjoying the different feel the 1.6 has over the oil burners and performance versions - just different - more like a greyhound than a racehorse!
Last edited by scooters on Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1991 BX16 TGS Meteor (arriving soon)
1996 306 TD
1997 Subaru Legacy 2.5 Quadcam
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

Hi bud,

a really nice description of your motor, most eloquently done.

I have found the 1.6 engine so different from my TXD, in particularly how the motor drives, she feels so much lighter and more nimble than the diesel. Does drink more gas though, the fuel guage moves before your eyes compared with the diesel.

Piccies next please.

Enjoy.

Andy
RxBX
Over 2k

Post by RxBX »

scooters wrote:Well well well,
The dash is the usual Mk2 BX affair a pod sitting with good visibility on top of the dash containing a speedo (with the usual BX wobbly needle), a rev counter, oil, petrol but unlike the cars I have owned there is no temperature gauge -
There is a clicking from the speedo area - I suspect it is the drive for the tach - probably needs a skoosh of lithium grease - all still working so not too worried about it.
The clicking noise will more than likely be the upper speedo cable !

Note that the Rev-counter/tachometer are electronic (not cable) :wink:

:)

philhod
BXpert

Post by philhod »

the fuel guage moves before your eyes compared with the diesel.
I bought a Meteor for £50 a few years back, for the simple reason it had 4 brand new tyres on it.
When I had changed the wheels over, my son in law Dek, asked me what I was doing with it, as his ancient 19 RD required welding yet again.
I gave him the car and he was really pleased with it. Wow, it's a flying machine were the words he used.
4 weeks later, he had a somewhat different tune. Jeez I can't afford to run this thing. It changed to. :P
Now the power unit in the old RD was great, having only covered about 180K.
So, before scrapping the RD body we stripped it of all working spares and removed the engine unit.
The Meteor became a diesel over the next 7 days. While the diesel was on the bench, I took off the g/box fitted a new cambelt, tensioner and w/pump.
Fitted a new clutch/ rel/brg, then fitted the later BE3 g/box from the Meteor and stuck it in.
The Meteor was now a little slower but nippier than the RD with the new box but returned 50mpg everywhere.
He sold it on a couple of years back when he got his Picasso but as far as I know the guy who bought it still has it on the road.
67 and still rockin (but not in a chair)
mds141
Over 2k

Post by mds141 »

Whilst i was changing the HP pump, i disconnected the lower drive from upper drive to gain better access to the jockey wheel. I pumped a load of grease into the respective speedo cable and on reassembly and test drive noticed very little speedo needle flaying. How long this remains is a quantum theory level conumdrum. :)
Mark Smith

Is it just me or is everything shit?

1989 BX GTi 16 valve. Blanc Alpine. Completed the Citroen Classic Challenge Ecosse and 1337 miles without a hitch.
2000 XM VSX 2.1 td Auto. Rouge Magenta.
TGD saloon many years ago.

1990 Swift 'Corniche' 12/2 aka BXClub HQ.
Honda Firestorm. Gone, but not forgotten.
2015 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC.
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

Nice write up :D
2002 C5 2.0 HDI Estate - Jasmine - Now SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - My daily
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired.
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

I'm not just a username, i'm also called Matthew.
scooters
Confirmed BX'er

Post by scooters »

well, its been 2 months of daily use for the Meteor including a 300 mile round trip to Aberdeen and back and a 1100 mile trip from Edinburgh to Essex, Herts and Surrey and back just before Christmas. The car is still behaving itself except for an occasional issue when flooring the throttle up a hill - the power can completely drop off.

I have discovered that 'pov' spec Supermarket 2 star is a no no and it really needs supermarket premium to avoid pinking - or a decent quality branded petrol.

Mark recommended lube ing the piston rod in the auto choke - so it got a good squirt of silicon spray and this has made quite a difference but the car still seems to respond to gentle throttle engagement far better than slamming it. I suspect the fuel pump and as they are pretty cheap will probably replace this soon. Mark also suggested rebuilding the spare solex which I will do during the winter nights.

Heater system wise I have replaced the PCB and carried out the mod that allows full blast and as I had to bypass the bulb circuit due to earth issues I have fitted two prisum LEDs (they come with rather useful 30cm cables attached and are tiny - these now sit in the heater control box and light the controls from an ignition feed and are very effective - I'll detail this mod soon in case anyone wants to try it)

Dash lights have now all been changed although one of the bulbs I used was a blue LED which has made the right hand side of the dash look a bit...well...you know

I replaced the OEM speakers which were well knackered - both cones ripped - with a pair of brand new Alpines sourced from gumtree for £20 - in addition I have plumbed in a new Bluetooth stereo (Slivercrest Lidl own lable) bought on gumtree for £30 as well (unopened) - it is easy to use, cheap and very effective and also included the microphone and a remote control which is handy given the size of buttons on modern stereos. I have got a lovely OEM spec Clarion tape player I sourced from one of the autoshite chaps but as I am using the car as my primary vehicle and for work, I need the hands free.

I have also replaced the poor light in the boot with an LED which makes a great deal of difference.

LHM wise I haven't had any leaks so far however the struts don't like the cold weather one bit and I will need to do the strut lube thingy very soon.

Oil and coolant change on the horizon soon especially as the car might be roped into a 150 mile daily commute for the next few weeks.

However, idle ebaying before Christmas resulted in my buying a rather spiffing 120k 1988 Volvo 740 GLE Estate for £205 of your eengleesh pounds - needs a new tailgate thanks to a tree and the front wing needs replacing but other than that it is in excellent mechanical fettle - the only problem is that it is in Bracknell...anyway, it will share the motoring soon which will take a bit of pressure off the BX which, whilst capable, I don't want to trash by using it at 80% fitness.
1991 BX16 TGS Meteor (arriving soon)
1996 306 TD
1997 Subaru Legacy 2.5 Quadcam
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

I never use supermarket petrol in any of my BX's, they dont seem to like it. I use total or shell everytime and the odd treat of super plus if im feeling flush.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Mickey taker
Over 2k

Post by Mickey taker »

At this rate we will have to have a seperate section for meteors :lol:
1991 BX Meteor 1.6

light travels faster than sound, thats why you look intelligent and then you spoil it all by opening your mouth !!!!!
bx petrol auto saloon
BXpert
My Cars: Citroens SAABs and Vauxhalls

Well Mark,s Meteor is finally outside my house.

Post by bx petrol auto saloon »

Dear Scooters.
What a really wonderful read Scooter. I too was like you, I had worked
on and driven allsorts of different Citroen,s. But never a BX, I too bought
one without having sat in one. I knew though that it would be as cool as
a GSA that I once owned, but as graceful as many many CX,s, DS,s I
had driven over the years 8) not quite as stunning aa an SM, but not far
off.
I still have a big smile on my face when I get in the car and start her
up, just wait for the suspension to come up, is still very cool. and so
smooth down the road, no bumps from over hardened coil springs :)
Anyway all the best Scooter.
Vince.
Passion Hydropneumatic Citroen,s

Cars;- 1993 White Citroen BX 1.6 TXi petrol
saloon auto with air-con & ABS.
47,594 Miles from new.
Owned for 3 years sorned.
1988 Silver SAAB 900i 2.0 8v F/lift,
saloon 5sp with 3 spoke Ronals,
69,000 Miles from new.
Owned for 15 years T & T.
B-Hive
BXpert

Post by B-Hive »

RxBX wrote:
scooters wrote:Well well well,
The dash is the usual Mk2 BX affair a pod sitting with good visibility on top of the dash containing a speedo (with the usual BX wobbly needle), a rev counter, oil, petrol but unlike the cars I have owned there is no temperature gauge -
There is a clicking from the speedo area - I suspect it is the drive for the tach - probably needs a skoosh of lithium grease - all still working so not too worried about it.
The clicking noise will more than likely be the upper speedo cable !

Note that the Rev-counter/tachometer are electronic (not cable) :wink:

:)

with my speedo it was the head that ticked.. Try disconnecting it first at the head and drive around to see if the click/tick persists or not..

Well done BTW nice ride
Current
85 BX GT Mk1..
86 BX TRS Mk1
87 BX TRi

Gone
85 BX TRS mk1 auto... SOLD
90 BX TRi..parts....cubed