Insurance quotes

Anything about BXs
crb
BXpert
My Cars: BX 1.9D Meteor
Saab 9-3 1.9TD Estate

Insurance quotes

Post by crb »

Just thought I had better get the new BX insured before taking it on the roads so phoned my current insurer (Direct Line) and they came back with £410 :shock: with £200 excess, no breakdown cover (another £200 if I want to go to Europe). To say the least I was a bit gobsmacked - I only paid £510 for the car!

Went online and checked out Footman James quick quote system as a club member and that came back at £253 :o - that's a bit better.

Picked up phone and spoke to a very nice lady and got it down to £125 with unlimited mileage, me and partner driving, UK & Europe breakdown cover and 35 days in Europe cover (I don't think they'll pay for me to go though :) )

Fantastic result :D

When I get all the wheels back on the MG Midget I might give them a go for that as well.

Many thanks to the guys (and gals) who got us a club discount.
Colin
Colin - Returning to BX's for the challenge.

BX19 TGD Meteor 1991
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Glad you phoned up. In my experience, classic insurance is ALWAYS vastly more expensive through the website - across different insurers.

The only thing to bear in mind is that classic insurance has no No Claims Discount, so it can be a problem if you decide you want a more modern car. There's a very easy answer to that though - don't buy a more modern car! Classic insurance is the way forward though. So many extras and so much cheaper.
Mike P
BXpert

Post by Mike P »

I use Footman James to insure the 16V as a second car.

Very recommended

Mike P
"F" White Phase 1 16V: 62K miles & seen on TV
"E" Grey Phase 1 16V: Long term project in bits
Willy
BXpert

Post by Willy »

Mine's up for renewal soon, when I checked FJ there were a couple of T&Cs I can't conform to:

The main driver must be 25 years old or greater (I'm not) and the car must be garaged overnight. Well, we have a garage, it's just a little innaccessible so doesn't get used for cars, but has anybody else (who has needed to) wormed their way around these? Is there any leeway?
ImageImageImageImageImage
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

I've never had the 'must be garaged' forced on me. If that's what it says on the website, try phoning up and actually speaking to someone. That said, I've always insured more than one car, which makes them more lenient.

There is an issue with younger drivers at the moment. FJ can't cover under 21s at all for the moment, and 21-25s will have certain conditions forced upon them. Actually, I think garaging is one of them...

Actually, I have to mention Peter James insurance. I'm with them at the moment and their service is superb. Sadly, I know how good their service is in the event of a claim too. Very good. Other insurance companies exist as well. There's lots of choice!