R12 to R134a conversion.

BX Tech talk
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

Way2go wrote:Guy said that they have to do the conversion so you cant put R12 into it which is illegal.
What a complete load of arse!

The "conversion" is simply an adaptor which fits onto the R12-type connectors, and gives you a R134a-type connector. You can take them back off again just as easily.

R12 is indeed now illegal in the UK, which is utter idiocy really, as it's still widely used in the far east. I know of one 'Fridge mechanic near me, who will remain nameless, who has a number of hundred KG of R12... utterly unlawful, but is fast appreciating in value. Some industrial chiller room systems will be desperate for it in a few years time!

for my car, the R413a was cheaper.
this might be a signature
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

DavidRutherford wrote:
for my car, the R413a was cheaper.
I agree that this is the solution I should go for when I'm sorted with my driveshaft.

Makes no sense to use R134a just cos this outfit doesn't offer the full range of solutions. Will look out for R413a capable people.
1991 BX19GTi Auto
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Actually, I meant it was cheaper than buying some of his R12..... but I've no doubt it was cheaper than a conversion to R134a too!
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

Whereabout are you David? If you are in the south maybe I should consider one of your recommended people.
1991 BX19GTi Auto
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Mitchells in Gloucester seem to know what they are talking about, the guy I spoke to (Trevor) was very helpful and got quite angry about the whole situation, ie firms trying to sell conversions rather than R413a
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Way2go wrote:Whereabout are you David?
Dorset/Somerset border, but the guy I used is based in Bournemouth.

Thinking about it, the only issue I did (and do still have) with R413a is that the pressures are slightly different... but different enough that the HP/LP cut out switch (which is still the original R12 one) has had to be bypassed to allow the system to run.

I should really have fitted a R134a switch, but didn't.
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

Ah, so DIY pre-work = receiver/dryer + pressure switch B4 taking it for recharging with R413a?

Is oil change or top up always in with the recharging work?
1991 BX19GTi Auto
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

Bournemouth is OK if the price is right as this can be coupled with a day out.
If the guys in the town its also a way to park for free while having a stroll on the beach.
1991 BX19GTi Auto
m_2975
BXpert
My Cars: 1989 BX 19TRI Estate
1993 BX GTI
1997 Xantia CT Turbo

r134

Post by m_2975 »

Hi Guys,

I was looking through my workshop manuals last night for something else and stumbled across this document about the conversion of the BX airconditioning. It was issued by the Citroen factory and details what they recommend needs to be replaced for the conversion from R12 to R134 and even details how to do the conversion itself.

This is the factory document with the part numbers of the parts that you need. From what I gather all the parts are still available.

Hope this helps someone or their A/C installer!!

http://220.244.150.190/bx/bxairconditioning.pdf

PS: It's hosted on my web server so might be a tad slow.

Regards,
Michael
My Cars:
'93 BX 19GTi Sedan 5M
'89 BX 19TRI Estate 5M
'89 AX GT(With EFI) 2door 5M
In the Family:
'74 SM IE (Fully Restored) 5M
'90 BX 19TRI122 Sedan 4A
'02 Xantia Exclusive Sedan 4AA
'06 C5 2.2HDi Estate 6A
Jaba
1K Away
My Cars: BX GTi, C3 Auto

Post by Jaba »

Does anyone have a copy of the Citroen pdf that Michael posted about last year.
It does not see to be there now.

I am in the processs of getting a conversion done and would like to have the document first.

Stay cool.
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

I have a copy - if you pm me your email address I will send it to you.
Jaba
1K Away
My Cars: BX GTi, C3 Auto

Post by Jaba »

Thanks Matt - pm sent.
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.
AlanS
BXpert

Post by AlanS »

This is the stuff that's got the "Industry" nervous. particularly DuPont who have made a fortune out of having a monopoly on ozone depleting gases for over 50 years, hence the loads of misinformation about it.

http://archive.greenpeace.org/ozone/greenfreeze/

Over here of late, some service centres are converting to it, due to its positives. It doesn't accumulate in the atmosphere, is a drop in for all know refrigerants, (including R134a) hence conversions are much cheaper, it costs only a fraction of other gases (a 4.5 kg bottle will service approx 40 cars and costs A$155) and it gets colder than the others.
Normal LPG as used in a barbeque can be used in moderation, to flush out the system if required at any stage and its operating pressures are lower so it's easier both on the system and the car.
The frightener they use is that it is a derivative of Propane/Butane but I have seen on TV a tset that showed 134a will explode before this stuff will and in fact there's only 30 grams, about the amount in a cigarrette lighter of flammables in an average charge which is offset by other additives.
Latest trick here is for the gullible types who are protecting the multi nationals, to refuse to service any car that has it in it based on this fire risk falacy :^o and where they have "licenced" anybody supposedly handling 134a, which IMO is the reason the "Industry" is now full of cowboys, they have no reason to licence this stuff, so they threaten to prosecute anybody found putting it into any system because according to them, it means they have evacuated the system of the ozone depleting gases illegally, rather than try to find a false way of getting them licenced. If they licence this stuff, they'll need to licence anybody who owns a gas stove or barbeque. [-X
I mentioned this on another forum as I have it in my 16V and it is by far the best the air/con has ever worked in that car, and I understand if you search around, there are places over there supplying and using it, so a good viable easy option for you to consider.

Alan S
By the time you're old enough to know it all, you can't remember why you were learning.