Calfskin is back!

Anything about BXs
Calfskin
Confirmed BX'er

Calfskin is back!

Post by Calfskin »

Hey guys. Sorry I've been quiet for so long but there have been some major upheavals in my life and I have been unable to come on.

Rene has come to a crossroads. His heater fan still doesn't work and the suspension needs attention. Basically, the fact is, driving Rene is no longer as fun as it used to be, a mixture of memories that were good and the niggling problems are just getting too much.

Add that to the fact I've just bought an 1999 Saab 900 Viggen Cabrio and the writing is probably on the wall for old Rene.

I don't want to offload the poor guy, he's solid and reliable and still economical. My plan was to buy the Saab and put Rene is storage to restore him, but we all know about the best laid plans of men...

However, I love the old sod too much and I'm going to give it a bash. I have more time on my hands now (and more freedom! LOL) so perhaps I can do it!

I've waffled enough now. LOL

Speak to you soon!
RIP Rene, 1992 - 2006.
He was the best car I ever owned.
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Post by Stewart (oily!) »

Welcome back, get those spanners ready for when the frost thaws :)
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Xantia Td estate, going soft
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Welcome back from me too. It`s been a while since we heard from you, I thought you`d disappeared off the face of the earth!
You`ve been away that long anyone would think that you`d owed someone some money.
Vauxhall apologist.
Calfskin
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Calfskin »

LOL, I think that would have been so much easier than what happened! LOL.

Amazingly, I managed to survive this winter without a working heater fan and suspension getting increasingly firmer. However, since the missus left, things have started to brighten up. I've got the Saab now, which is my main driver (the heated seats a god-send! LOL) now means that Rene can go into hibernation while I can sort out the things that need done.

My mate has a moulding '72 Merc 220D that we're going to tackle as well so I'll be well busy this summer :D.

Down side is that I'm having to get used to the fuel consumption of the Saab, I've been spoilt by Rene for sooooo long! LOL

I'll keep in touch! I ain't getting rid of my BX, prolly looking to add a GTi at some point! LOL
RIP Rene, 1992 - 2006.
Barnsley BXer
1K Away

Post by Barnsley BXer »

Could your suspension problem be down to the pump?
1990 GTI 4x4
1992 TZD
Dear Drooper............................
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

I think the pump was at fault on my `old` estate but I just carried on with it. Is it an expensive job to repair?
Vauxhall apologist.
Calfskin
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Calfskin »

Mechanic said it was a pressure relief valve at teh front or somthing as the front end does not raise automatically. LOL

And I've noticed the warning lights stay on longer when he's cold. Could it all be related? I had a suspicion of the pump before as teh steering lost assistance sometimes. But it doesn't seem as bad as it did. LOL
RIP Rene, 1992 - 2006.
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

I think it can generally be said that if the steering suffers intermittently - them the pump is at fault. The FDV is commonly blamed as no-one really understands how it works, and the regulator is also very reliable - but sometimes suffers from frequent ticking - generally due to failure of the accumulator sphere or sometimes the non-return valve needs to be re-seated.

jeremy
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

I may have the same problem with my one of my fleet. I`m thinking it`s possibly not the P.R.V and more likely the pump. I have one on one of the spares car I think but it`s an unknown quanity so just in case does anyone know where I could get a known good second hand unit from and what it`s likely to cost?
Vauxhall apologist.