March's BXpress Column (previously ramblings)

Anything about BXs
M

Post by M »

Superb Jon - and I hope other members of the BXClub will be encouraged to put pen to paper (fingers to the keyboard) and submit their tales of BX ownership and the meaning of life.

Good news about the spares ordering service, whilst offering a competative saving over other motorfactors it also helps finance the running of the forum.

Well done and we club members much appreciate your hard work young Wobs.
Last edited by M on Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
davek-uk
Confirmed BX'er

Post by davek-uk »

Is the shop up and running yet? I've just had a look around the site (usually just visit the forum) and didn't see a link. I'd definately buy from you rather than ECP or GSF if you can match (nearly or better) their prices. Are you able to order parts for my Xantia too?
Dave

Xantia 1.9TDLX Estate (97) - 192K@42mpg - Boosted & on vegoil
Berlingo Multispace 2.0 Hdi (04) - 95K - the weekend car
Berlingo Multispace 1.6, 16v (51) - 184K@36mpg - currently ill
BX19TXD Estate (92) - 66K - SORN, what a waste!
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

The most important thing I'd like to see in the shop is the correct oil filter for the XUD engine, which is the Purflux branded unit, with the Peugeot symbol on it*. It's sold by Motaquip too, as a VFL 427, but I can't seem to find it anywhere else for a sensible price.

*other filters will fit, but don't have the correct filtration paper in them, or (more importantly) the anti-drainback valve, which is essential to prevent the oil galleries from emptying overnight.
this might be a signature
Mr B
Northern Moderator
Northern Moderator

Post by Mr B »

Good work JW 8)
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

Sound like you're going straight for the quality producs then.

I'm guessing that Purflux brand the same filter for Peugeot and for Citroen...
this might be a signature
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

More sterling work Jon, the BX shop is an excellent idea. As regards Marty`s suggestion of more members putting pen to paper submitting their own BX tales I also think that would be great. Perhaps a new column or an existing one (BX chat?) for likeminded people to pen a weekly/monthly/bi-annual/annual post about life with their current Bx(s), restoration or modification work and tales of long journeys and meeting of other forum members etc?
I`m sure most of us could drum up a few words and the odd interesting tale of their BX`s past and present.
Anyhow to all concerned with the running of this forum hats off to you, please keep up the excellent work you do.
Vauxhall apologist.
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

I think the shop is an excellent idea if we are to get good prices too. Then the aggravation of shopping around can be eliminated as long as confidence is maintained.

My recent experiences on a simple CV Gaiter was that Camberley Auto Factors was half the price of GSF and the Halfords price of the "stickyboot" I had to use for MOT speed was three times the cost of the standard item from Camberley.

If it helps to maintain the forum too then this is a valid reason for us all to use it as much as possible. Appreciation for what you do Jon, and long may you be able to continue it! 8)
1991 BX19GTi Auto
sleepy0905
1K Away

Post by sleepy0905 »

Good idea on the shop. :D My only question is what will be the payment methods, I only ask as i donot have a credit card which can cause a lot of hassle for cheap parts as i only pay cash or postal orders. :(
2017 Seat Leon ST FR 2.0 150Bhp
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Post by Stewart (oily!) »

Put up a link to the club shop and you can have my business Jon :)
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Xantia Td estate, going soft
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

BX club Chester. (Aka Cavmad`s BX ramblings)

Post by cavmad »

Been a lot of comings and goings (car wise) here. After the great day when my `old` estate donated it`s engine to Sleepy it`s been B-X-tremely busy for me. Firstly a sad farewell to my TZD, the car that I always wanted to own. Unfortunately I just couldn`t get the time to either do the last few jobs or have them done for me. Despite my only real journey of note being driving it home from London I really miss it. The performance was unreal for a diesel and despite the turbo it was still very good on fuel.
Funny when I look back that I ever contemplated driving it back such a long way with three borderline tyres, no handbrake and an LHM leak. It must have been love though tiredness and eagerness to get home certainly played a part. Funny thing was despite this being about my fifth BX and despite being absolutely knackered when I eventually got home I still woke up early and excited to admire my new purchase from the bedroom window.
Anyhow it`s now in the hands of another enthusiast and BXClub member who will undoubtably give it the love and attention it deserves.
The sale of the TZD left me with a BX sized hole though and glancing around I almost didn`t spot Philip Chidlow`s post about his GTi for sale. I had previously expressed an interest in it but couldn`t get the neccessary first time round. However seeing it advertised again got me thinking and when I saw the pictures I knew I had to have it. Seeing it in `real life` was no let down either I can assure you. This is one stunning car and looks fantastic in black, very impressed with it and it`s a credit to Philip.
I`ve spent the few times I`ve been out driving in it quite sedately so far which seemed to suit the car being an automatic and a nice lazy drive. However today I drove it in anger for the first time and my purring pussycat became a snarling tiger. A trip down my new route to work of twisty `A` road and some nice winding lanes combined with a good dose of right foot had me grinning like a Cheshire cat. What a different car it felt like! Now I`ve got performance, reasonable economy, style and a relaxed cruiser all rolled into one.
The rest of the fleet however have not faired so well. The £1.60 eBay hatchback is sitting forlornly in the corner of the unit: heavily stripped and still waiting for me to strip the last few bits off and send to the great crusher in the sky. My old estate is also due for the same treatment: having donated engine and box and out of tax and test the car I once hated will be sadly missed now. Gave me a great deal of pleasure having been thrashed relentlessly but now at least the heart (and soul!) live on in Sleepy`s car.
The `new` estate is still having finicky brake problems sorted pre-MOT and needs me to push myself into sorting it as after I finished `blinging it up` it looks uber-cool (i.m.h.o!) and needs to be driven.
Ian`s 4x4 (spares car) hasn`t moved in a while and needs to go to the unit and the 16V in my garage is awaiting the last few jobs from the skilled hands of Vanny. I`m really looking forward to my test drive in that I can assure you, bet I won`t want to get out of it!
I`ve still got another BX to collect for spares from the other side of town, more news on that if/when it happens.
I`m finding I have less and less time these days to get all the BX`s sorted out as the recovery truck I`ve just bought and the ever growing collection of cars needing to go to auction, on eBay or be weighed in are taking priority right now. Might be time to book a week off work and get as much as possible sorted out. Plan then is to get at least one of my garages free and completely fill it with BX spares.
Meanwhile still pondering whether to fit the Morette twin headlights to the GTi or leave them on the estate where they look sooooooooo right.

Cavmad signing off, hope my attempt at BX rambling hasn`t bored you all to death :lol:
Vauxhall apologist.
Barnsley BXer
1K Away

Post by Barnsley BXer »

Cavmad, I never get bored with BX ramblings.The photos of your GTI reminds me of when I got my Black Beauty.When I picked it up from the auctions,I was on 12 hour dayshift.In spite of being absolutely knackered,I couldn't sleep.I kept getting up and looking at the car that I had wanted to own for 14 years.If you've got LHM in your blood,this is how they get you :D
1990 GTI 4x4
1992 TZD
Dear Drooper............................
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Glad to hear you are enjoying the GTI, Billy. I think the kickdown on it's really excellent - (for some reason so much better than my other).

It'll kick down at say, 40mph like it's had a rocket ignited in its tail. I like that. :D
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v