Intermittent j-j-j-judder

BX Tech talk
cauchoiskev
BXpert

Intermittent j-j-j-judder

Post by cauchoiskev »

Particularly noticeable in reverse. I have to say, it seems to be getting less and less intermittent, and pretty damn embarassing at the traffic lights.

So, engine mounts or the clutch itself ? I would have thought that a duff engine mount would result in a permanent judder ? Had a squint at the bottom mount rubber, looked OK... This car has 300000km, apparently the clutch was replaced only two years ago. I had thought about oil contamination from a leaky crankshaft seal, and dropped the engine oil level to about the minimum to see if that would make a difference, and obviously it didn't.

Any BXer out there already had this kind of problem ? And, is dropping the gearbox/clutch doable on your lonesome if you don't have a crane ? What kind of weight are we talking about here ? Thanks for your input...
(CZ)enda
Confirmed BX'er

Post by (CZ)enda »

What pops to my mind:
a) Brake pads. Known to make noise when braking while reversing. Possibly distorted front discs, worn beyond tolerance and wavy due to overheating.
b) CV joint worn or insufficiently lubricated. Found this symptom on my other car, I needed more than a year to discover the culprit as the typical CV symptoms (crunching while driving off with wheels on full lock) were not present.

Anyway, you do not need crane, at least on petrol engines, to release the gearbox from the car. It can be taken out from below. 2 people and 2 jacks, one of then trolley one, are minimum requirements. The weight of empty gearbox is, say, 40 kg.

Trickiest part is clutch bearing reassembly due to design if the inner lever.

Removing a gearbox from turbodiesels this way is said to be extreme case of "surgery-through-a-keyhole" job due to limited space.
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

What model BX are we talking about here?

Have you checked for oil leaks, is the camshaft seal or the LHM pump leaking, basically anything that could let oil get on the clutch.

The clutch job is do-able on your own if you know what you're doing, but you really want to be certain it is the clutch before you start.
They think it's all over, it is now!
AlanS
BXpert

Post by AlanS »

Easiest way to check engine mounts is to hold car on the brakes and bring clutch out to take up point and just float it in and out so that it takes up and then releases the weight while someone else looks under the car and under the bonnet.
I just had to replace boyth mounts on a Tri auto. Couldn't shift it by hand but doing this when checking the ATF showed the engine moving about 3 inches. :shock: :shock:

Alan S
By the time you're old enough to know it all, you can't remember why you were learning.
cauchoiskev
BXpert

Post by cauchoiskev »

The car is a 1.9 diesel. I haven't seen any water/oil/LHM leaks above the clutch area, but will check again, and try AlanS's engine mount method.

I have to say, I am afraid it is the clutch, though. The judder seems to happpen at a particular point in the pedal travel, just before full release.

Thaks for your answers !