Changing Views

Anything about BXs
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

No bugger had ever said nuffing about mine ever.

Am i doing something them wrong driving them about??

Andy
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

I've had a couple of people over the years, but nothing to note. I think it'll be some time before the BX ever has some sort of positive image. Not sure I want it to either.....it's what keeps them cheap!
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

Kitch wrote:Not sure I want it to either.....it's what keeps them cheap!
/\ as that! The real beauty of driving my TGD auto for me is the total unpretentiousness, no keeping up with the jones', no caring what other drivers think of your motor. I like to keep mine clean (not concours), original, well maintained and reliable. Sod the positive image.
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

And again tonight!

Have been BX "shunting", TZD to my council lock up, 16TRS from there to my Spaces over at the big sheds and the GT from there home again as it MOT day tomorrow.

Pulled in to get some petrol and pump up the slow leak on the 16TRS, when some young chav in a hoodie, who was rolling a fag turned to me and said "wow that looks brand new", I said its 23 years old this year, "nice car mate", and then carried on rolling. :shock:
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Jaba
1K Away
My Cars: BX GTi, C3 Auto

Post by Jaba »

I came home in a taxi last night. The Mercedes pulled up behind my TD Estate and the driver said Wow! I haven't seen one of those for a long time. What good cars they were (are) and then went on about the 13 he rebuilt when he worked in a garage and how the engines were always very good and reliable. My wife just went indoors and left us chatting away.

I think thats about as good as it gets with a BX for me. All my mates pull my leg about my bangers but as I point out to them while they ponce about in their modern metal the economic argument is well in my favour.
Being counter culture means spending thousands of pounds less on my motoring. In fact all I spent on running my BXs in 2011 was 208.40 excluding MOTs and the sub fitted in the Estate. That is little more than 2p per mile.
Nothing moves you like a Citroën.
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

I think the financial argument would still make sense with many other cars from that era, however I can think of none that I'd prefer to own.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Defender110
Over 2k

Post by Defender110 »

To be fare I could probably think of several I would prefer to own but none of them could come anywhere near mt diesel BX's as a practical reliable everyday driver.
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Defender110 wrote:To be fare I could probably think of several I would prefer to own but none of them could come anywhere near mt diesel BX's as a practical reliable everyday driver.
That's the point. Spot on. The BX diesel offers an incredible mix of practicality, economy and comfort but manages to ally it to enough Citroen 'quirk' factor to make it interesting. They handle well too - this point was driven home by my recent Peugeot 309 which was utterly uninspiring to drive. It could be good fun on the twisties, but without the measured accuracy of the BX.

I've always wanted a GS/GSA, but the simple fact is that they drink an awful lot of fuel and can be a pig to work on, while having a nasty tendency to rot. The BX is a far better car, even if the front suspension is a compromise. The Mk1 is almost as quirky as GS too - though you can't beat the earlier car for dashboard wackiness, especially in GSA form.
Defender110
Over 2k

Post by Defender110 »

..that_ Yes exactly that!
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

I wrote:I can think of none that I'd prefer to own
Perhaps I should add from the choice of cars I could realistically afford (although I'd still choose the BX over a number that I couldn't!)

So far I've had 3 offers to buy my BX, including a note under the windscreen wiper. But they were in the early days of ownership - now it's just comments I get. EVERY used car dealer we visited whilst looking for Lana's new car commented how great they are, and what good sellers they used to be!

1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
ace_the_bass
Confirmed BX'er

Post by ace_the_bass »

When I turned up at 6th form in my 14TGE years ago everyone loved it, most other lads where turning up in their mums corsas and fiestas etc etc. I before I could get indoors people would be asking me to 'do that suspension thing' I loved the attention and they loved the car. Win win I thought at the time! If people struggle to make friends I suggest buying a Bx....I can't put fuel in it/go to asda with out someone commenting on 'how rare it I'd or 'did it cone from a museum. R.I.P 14TGE. VIVA GTi!
Mickey taker
Over 2k

Post by Mickey taker »

My kids have loved all my BX's and they range in age from 26 down to 4 years of age so its definately a winner
1991 BX Meteor 1.6

light travels faster than sound, thats why you look intelligent and then you spoil it all by opening your mouth !!!!!
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

I love mine to bits, I could sell them, put a bit of cash to it and probably by a DS or nice MGB etc, but I would rather stick with the BX's for now as theres nothing else I like better or enjoy driving more.
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

You're too young for an MGB and you don't have a beard!

1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

mat_fenwick wrote:You're too young for an MGB and you don't have a beard!
Hmm I dont have a beard, but im probably nearly old enough!