Got reversed into..

Anything about BXs
toddao
BXpat

Got reversed into..

Post by toddao »

While I was sat in my quite noticable, yellow BX outside my house today some woman reversed into it. Claimed she didn't see it!

Fortunately she just missed the A post and crumpled the front wing instead. Went for the repair quote for the insurance. After expressing admiration that such a dinosaur was still roaming the planet he said that it was €800 worth of damage or probably a write off! Oi,Oi! ( he estimated its value at a big fat €1000)

The damage is so underwhelming to look at that I won't bother posting a photo. It's my first dealing with the German system so I'll have to see how it goes. I think I could fix it myself quite well enough if they coughed up some €€€s.

Suffice to say I was well pissed orf. Hope this cloud has a silver lining.. eventually.
Todd

this yellow writing is really hard to read
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

Bummer! Is the damage limited to the front wing only? As I'm sure you are aware this is a simple bolt on panel that can be replaced in less than an hour + paint.
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

Yes, limited to the front wing thankfully. Even though, that was the quote from a respected bodywork shop : old wing removed, new wing supplied, fitted and sprayed. This is what I am suggesting could be the 'silver' lining if the woman's insurance company accept the quote and €€€-ise me for my considerable pains.
I had the wing off this time last year for welding and two of the bolts sheared so it can be quite time consuming when it hasn't been disturbed for a while.
I think I could beat the damaged wing back into shape roughly, fill it a few times and locally spray it and cut it in. I'm not a concourse contender really..
Todd

MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

Typical, hope the insurance gets sorted & you can get a shiny new wing put on or have it repaired. I'm intrigued to know how the German insurance system works, have you claimed for whiplash yet :wink: :lol:
2002 C5 2.0 HDI Estate - Jasmine - Now SORN
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - My daily
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired.

I'm not just a username, i'm also called Matthew.
themildbunch
BXpert

Post by themildbunch »

My dad ran over my front wing when it was off for some inner wing welding last summer!

He did his best with a hammer and it fits, kind of... IIRC MkII wings are still available from body panel suppliers in the UK - Is yours a MkI though?
1988 BX 19 Gti 16v
1991 BX 17 TZD Estate
1991 BX 17 TZD Estate
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

I have a useable LH Mk1 wing (no side repeaters) which is yours free gratis Todd if needed.

Getting it to you may prove pricey mind you.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

Thanks for the offer Tim but luckily I've got a couple of spare wings in the barn.

The lady's insurance company called early this morning. They want a 'proper' valuation of the car before and after the accident then the difference between the two figures is what I get as compensation. So this is going to be the typical BX value game I suppose..
Todd

toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

Things move fast : went to see the official insurance inspector and he pronounced the car 'a write-off' ( uneconomical to repair). Now I've got to wait a week to see what he suggests the value would have been 'before' and what they're going to give me.. he wasn't too receptive to my bigging up of the BX as a rarity. In the land of big shiny Mercs and Bimmers, the BX unfortunately falls into the 'banger' category!
Todd

Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

toddao wrote:Things move fast : went to see the official insurance inspector and he pronounced the car 'a write-off' ( uneconomical to repair). Now I've got to wait a week to see what he suggests the value would have been 'before' and what they're going to give me.. he wasn't too receptive to my bigging up of the BX as a rarity. In the land of big shiny Mercs and Bimmers, the BX unfortunately falls into the 'banger' category!
Bastards! I noticed when I was over in Germany last year there was very few older cars around and hardly any were not BMW/VW etc.

As long as they dont try and take it off you!
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

I was in Belgium last weekend and I was amazed at how few cars over 10 years old there were. NO BX, XM, AX, CX's, etc. - one 2CV and a Xantia. The rest were all Audis, Mercs, BMWs, VWs, Fords, Volvos etc. and a significant proportion of those were upper range and SUVs.

I think they have more money than us here in the UK.
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

I've been told that in Belgium it's quite expensive to run an old car as they push the taxation up in order to discourage the use of polluting old bangers :x
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

Old cars are expensive to run here too if they don't have Cats or particle filters. The first time I paid tax on my yellow BX five years ago it was €800 a year! After I fitted a Cat it went down to €300 and I got a rebate. They've now removed this tax break so old diesels are just too uneconomical to run unless they've made it to 30 years old in good condition and are historically classified.

I received the seven page report this morning from the 'Dekra' ( like TÜV) inspector. It's very professionally put together and as favourable as could be hoped. He was very flattering about the overall condition of the car, taking into account all my repair work last winter and he put the value at €1300.
He then did a breakdown of the repair work necessary which he estimated at €1200 and the value of the car after the accident at €50 scrap!

In theory I should therefore be entitled to the difference between before and after value - €1250. Let's see what happens but that would definately be a silver lining - fix the car myself and invest a bit into the 16v perhaps? I'll report back once this has 'come out in the wash'

I wondered whether this had any bearing on the valuation. It's the only Mk.1 estate/break I've ever seen for sale in Germany and he wants €1400 without TÜV/ without Cat/ usual corrosion. The seller thinks it's the only one in Germany :wink: ( I think that makes three last count)
Todd

JayW
1K Away

Post by JayW »

toddao wrote: I wondered whether this had any bearing on the valuation.
Now thet's the second continental BX in the last week that i've seen at 1891cc (the other being the "as new" estate in another thread). Surely can't both be typo's???
I have zero patience for your tedium.
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

Fingers crossed Todd that you can get that payout & then get it fixed for a fraction of the estimated cost & have plenty left over for your valver. Perhaps something good will have come out of the accident afterall, danke :lol:
2002 C5 2.0 HDI Estate - Jasmine - Now SORN
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - My daily
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired.

I'm not just a username, i'm also called Matthew.
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

Yes, I'm keeping my fingers crossed or as they say in D.. pulling my thumbs. I think I can fix it quite cheaply as I've got all the bodywork stuff, paint etc left over from last years bodge-a-thon. I don't believe they're going to cough up anything without a fight though.
When the wife saw the valuation she reminded me all my work last winter was worth it. Especially as I was considering scrapping it two years ago for parts!
Todd