does anyone know what this is called ?

Anything about BXs
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

I can't see how a canister containing charcoal granules can serve the same function as a swirl pot, as the very fact of being filled with something would interfere with its function. So I suspect there may be (at least) two 'round things' fitted to PSA vehicles of that era.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

mat_fenwick wrote:So I suspect there may be (at least) two 'round things' fitted to PSA vehicles of that era.
What knobs AND knockers?
BX Meteor
BXpert

Post by BX Meteor »

mat_fenwick wrote:I suspect there may be (at least) two 'round things' fitted to PSA vehicles of that era.
I doubt it, because we're talking symantics here Mat

i.e. this topic is "does anyone know what this is called"

I introduced the topic as such, then I clarified why it required a "name" here

Malcolm has said that he cut one open (they don't look to be sericeable) and he said there was charcoal inside.

Mick needs one if he wants to get rid of the weird bodge on the BX he has bought, and, it would be useful in this forum to identify a key component in a 1.6 (and 1.9 and maybe 1.4) petrol BX.

Finally, here is a "swirl pot" for a 4cyl Petrol Defender (I presume that the 4cyl Petrol Defender had a carb and this "swirl pot")

The only problem with the name "swirl pot" is that that name seems to used in connection with EFI fuel rails, but it is also a name used in a few places for carbs e.g. here

The problem with a lot of threads in this forum, is that they keep jumping around, so it is difficult for some people to follow them. I can follow the thread because I have been reading it from the start, and I know why I posted it.

Mick and I want to know the name it has, Mick because he would like to get one, or one similar, me because if they can still be obtained I wouldn't mind a spare. I repeat that they were made by SOFABEX, as is the pump, but it is not listed on the SOFABEX website.
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

What I mean is that people may be talking about two separate things here - IF it is a swirl pot (which IMO seems most likely) then I can't see it containing charcoal. PSA engines of similar age may (also?) have a charcoal filter, which I think Willy and Citronut are referring to.

If it's a swirl pot then having an electric pump should make it less necessary, as fuel pressure will be constant and independent of engine revs, rather than lowest when idling/stationary and hence most prone to vapour lock. And if it's a swirl pot, I can't see the need for a spare as there's nothing really to go wrong.

Mick, do you ever get the feeling you wish you'd never asked about something? :lol:

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
BX Meteor
BXpert

Post by BX Meteor »

Hi Mat ..... :cry:

I knew what you meant, but, Willy and Malcolm and Mick and I, are all talking about the same thing.

1. Mick does not have one on his car, he wonders what he needs to do if he wants to remove the electric bodge on his car. He has tested the mechanical pump and he says it does work. He wants to know what else he needs in order to put everything back the way it once was. The bodgers that did the work on the car he now has, removed "the thing", so he wants to know what it is called and where he can get one.

2. I have one on my car, and I came up with "de-gasser" (because I was told that about 15 years ago), but does not work as a search term

3. Willy has one on his car, and came up with "Fuel vapour seperator" (a good call), which works as a search term

4. Malcolm said he had taken one apart and it had charcoal in it.

5. In using "Fuel vapour seperator" as a search term, I also discovered "swirl pot"

6. Willy has now found one on the internet in a Haynes for a PUG 309, and Haynes call it a "canister" and say a "canister" contains charcoal.

Anyway, I went out to my BX 30 mins ago, took the middle pipe off the thing, connected a clear pipe to it and put the other end in a can, started the engine, and petrol pisses out of it.

So, one might try calling Citroen and asking "do you have a petrol de-gassing charcoal vapour-separating swirl-pot canister thingy for BX carb"

EDIT: as I said, if a 4cyl Petrol Defender had a carb with this "swirl pot", then it's semantically also called a "swirl pot" by some people.
Willy
BXpert

Post by Willy »

More googles etc:
http://faq.ford77.ru/pdf/scorpio/1245-04.pdf wrote:All carburettor models are fitted with a
vapour separator, mounted on the left-hand
inner wing. On 1.8 litre models the separator
incorporates a pressure regulator
4.7 part 10 (Ford)
http://www.migweb.co.uk/forums/engines-transmission/171294-should-there-anything-made-pierburg-my-weber-carb.html wrote:That canister is called the vapour canister, and it was fitted to the early 2E3s that didn't have a return directly from the float chamber of the carb itself. I find this slightly odd, what age is your car?
Anyway, it's simply a method of making a fuel return for a carb that doesn't use one, as correctly stated. the float chamber is pumped full of fuel, the float valve closes and the fuel simply fills up this thing then flows back to the tank. If you didn't have this, the pipe to the carb woould burst! On cars that come with a non-return carb (Fords for expample) the fuel pump itself is designed to stop pumping at certain pressures.
I wouldn't advise you ditch it, as the standard pump will blindly pump fuel into a closed pipe, possibly buggering up the float valve or the hose to it.
I don't think it's causing the problems you describe, but it wouldn't hurt to check it's not blocked.
ImageImageImageImageImage
JayW
1K Away

Post by JayW »

Shitting hell boys... c'yam down c'yam down :lol:
I have zero patience for your tedium.
BX Meteor
BXpert

Post by BX Meteor »

Mick, it could all be over now, look here

it's in the previous post, by Tim