Talking B____X

Tell us about life with your BX, or indeed life in general!
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Paul296 wrote:
Philip Chidlow wrote:Not bad for half the price of a BX. :)
Yeah, but half the price of which BX; a mint, low mileage mk.1 GT, or a moss/rust blown 'pink paint' sitting on its arse in a farmyard!? :D

Tidy looking car that. When I was 17 I wish you'd been my Dad! :D
The price of a tired but roadworthy petrol BX maybe...

I'm not sure about me being generous - MY dad helped out lol!
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

Tidy looking car that. When I was 17 I wish you'd been my Dad!
As someone who doesn't like Fords, and who's first vehicle was a 70's Bedford CF Day van which I ended up customising and keeping for 7 years, I'm glad you're not my Dad!
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Another worthwhile trip to Chez Kermit. Replacement wiper motor fitted, manual fan switch installed, wiring for spot lights put in (but not the lights, because I found out of the four Hellas I had, once I took the covers off - found the pair of foglights I'd bought turned out to be one spot and one foglight grrrrr.).

But anyway as we're not doing any cross-country night driving on the Challenge we decided to not worry about this yet.

Thanks big time to Phil Boxall :)
Mike E (uk)
1K Away

Post by Mike E (uk) »

That's OK Phil, back in the 70s it was not unknown to have a foglamp on the near side to light up the road edge, and a spot light on the off side to light up the road ahead.

I think this is a pretty cool idea, but you will have to decide if you have the set up for the UK or Europe.

We probably won't do much night driving on the Challenge, so I would use the UK fixing.

I have replaced the fogs on the BX with two spots so I get another (completely unnecessary) 200W of lighting on main beam.

Mike
la BX 16 soupapes: sachez apprecier avec moderation.

It might be clever now, but it won't be in the morning!
Mickey taker
Over 2k

Post by Mickey taker »

or you could always go for this look

(the mini I mean not the HA van :lol: )
1991 BX Meteor 1.6

light travels faster than sound, thats why you look intelligent and then you spoil it all by opening your mouth !!!!!
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

:D

It'd be interesting to know what the MOT specifics are, I guess.
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

I don't think the MOT cares much to be honest. You can have as many additional lights as you want - don't think there's anything to discern what type they are. As long as they are on a different switch to the headlamps, it doesn't really matter. As my mate knows well...

Mike E (uk)
1K Away

Post by Mike E (uk) »

With all the photons going out of the lamps, I bet that 2CV goes backwards.

Do they work, and is there any power left for driving the wheels?
la BX 16 soupapes: sachez apprecier avec moderation.

It might be clever now, but it won't be in the morning!
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

Pretty sure that lights (fore and aft, but not ancillary indicators ( beacons etc)) have to be balanced around the centre line of the car as well. So you cant fit three on the bonnet in front of the passenger unless you fit 3 on the bonnet in front of the driver too.

Which just ruins how much fun you could have :(
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

With all the photons going out of the lamps, I bet that 2CV goes backwards.

Do they work, and is there any power left for driving the wheels?
Not only do they all work, but they are switchable between on for road use, and flashing with the ICE that's more powerful than the engine.

There's a HUGE alternator fitted that powers all this lot plus (among other things) a laser show that rises up from behind the front seats when the roof is rolled back.

It's all been built over a period of years, using mostly 2nd hand kit found at the right price, and when it's all up and running it has to be seen to be believed!
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Just did 367 miles in the BX hammering along the A12, M25, M1, M6 and M42 and back again (cor, that was fun)... It was full up when I left and I just had to put 33.8 litres back in to fill it up again. Which is around 49mpg. For me that's good. And what's more it was with the rest of the family and a boot full of stuff... I am happy with that.
Willy
BXpert

Post by Willy »

Vanny wrote:Pretty sure that lights (fore and aft, but not ancillary indicators ( beacons etc)) have to be balanced around the centre line of the car as well. So you cant fit three on the bonnet in front of the passenger unless you fit 3 on the bonnet in front of the driver too.

Which just ruins how much fun you could have :(
I think the original 2CV prototype could have some problems with the MOT man then...

ImageImageImageImageImage
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

'twas MOT time today....

The Red Baron passed with no advisories (although the tester commented on dodgy fog light switch and a handbrake cable that will need replacing before the next test). Smoke test staggeringly good at 0.69. And the car's done 176,800 miles. Latest average 48mpg. Happy bunny.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Re: Talking B____X

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Just making arrangements to collect and return to the road, my first Mk 1 - and first diesel auto. It's low mileage, garaged and in good order except for needing some recommissioning, a new battery and a leak (possibly brake flexi according to Kermit after he spoke to the chap). Will keep you all updated with progress - and pictures.

Here's one taken a while ago.

saintjamesy89
1K Away
My Cars: 1985 Citroen BX19 GT
198x Citroen BX16 TRS auto
1988 Volvo 740 2.0 GL Hearse
1991 Saab 900 16v convertible
2007 Lexus RX 400h SE

Re: Talking B____X

Post by saintjamesy89 »

Very very nice Mr Chidlow! It seems that Bleu Romantique was a very popualr MK1 colour? And we can all see why, it looks gorgeous. I expect it will be a nice 'relaxed' drive! MK1 n/a diesel auto is never going to be quick, but hopefully smooth and comfy.
I'm not a Saint, or a James, but a Tom Saint-James!

Mes voitures:
1985 Citroen BX19 GT
1988 Volvo 740 2.0 GL Hearse
2006 Lexus RX 400h SE hybrid