Is the writing on the wall?

Anything about BXs
mat_fenwick

Is the writing on the wall?

Post by mat_fenwick »

OK, so a bit melodramatic perhaps, a bit like those emails that are entitled 'Free Beer!' and then once they have your attention go onto trying to sell you something...

But I phoned up the 'local' Citroen dealer today as ask if they had any pipe seals in stock, as I seem to have lost my stock of them. As soon as I mentioned BX he told me that he wouldn't be able to help as they couldn't look up part numbers any more. Fortunately I persevered, andasked if he would go and look in the workshop. As it turns out, they have plenty in of all 3 sizes, so it won't be a wasted journey when I go and collect. But I can imagine that if it was something more complex that I didn't have the part number for, I'd be struggling.

It may not be the same in other dealers, as I've had trouble with them before being less than helpful. But it was still a bit of a shock!

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Given that it's probably a good 12 years since BXs were a regular sight at Citroën dealership's service depts. I imagine all of this is only going one way... In five or six year's time, BXs - well the 200 or so maybe left on the road - will be having parts replaced with secondhand or remanufactured items.
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Same problem with my local dealer, anything BX specific asides service items are all NLA, I have to quote part numbers now as like you they dont have access.

Same with the early Xantias too, you have to think its 20 years next since the BX hatch finished being made! :shock:
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

I can't say I've ever bought any BX part from a dealer, but this is a definite concern. Would folk like Lockwoods be able to supply things like that? There must be a lot of stock about still, especially in France. Perhaps it's time to try and develop some links with French enthusiasts? There must be some!
robt
Confirmed BX'er

Post by robt »

However, over the last 6 months I've found it a lot easy getting parts for the BX than I have for my equivalent aged Montego. I know it's all relative but I've been a lot more dependant on lucky NOS finds for the Monty on ebay, and that's despite having the likes of Rimmers available to us Austin Rover owners.
Currently own:

1988 Citroen BX 19RD Estate
1990 Rover Montego GSi auto
1982 miniMetro L
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Things like the seals are shared with (at least) the Xantia, so actual stock shouldn't be an issue for a while (and even then they just appear to be lengths of hose cut to size). I'm sure for other items there will be a reasonable amount of stock somewhere, just that we'll have to know the actual part number in future.

1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

Martin at Pleiades on 01487 831239 will supply hydraulic pipe seals and a lot cheaper than the dealer,

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

My local dealer had access last Sunday, so it must be a very very recent change!

I suspect the truth is the dealers have got so sick of looking up NFP parts they just can't be bothered.

It should also be remembered that under EU law, manufacturers only have to stock spares for 8 years from end of MANUFACTURE. We are well over that. Most EU manufacturers then liquidate there stock, often just selling it for scrap. Citroen still follow some guiding principles set out by Andre Citroen himself in that customers should be given access to spares and information to be able to carry out maintenance themselves, and i believe this is why Citroen tend to provide parts until they run out!

A good percentage of spares can however be found from other models, most Xantia parts are still listed as available!

In the case of return hoses and the like, I've already replaced large lengths with silicon hose. All my water pipes are silicon, all my oil pipes will be silicon by next week.

All this really means is that the BX really is becoming a classic!

Oh, i've recently discovered ball joints are up to £12 EACH!!!
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

citronut wrote:Martin at Pleiades on 01487 831239 will supply hydraulic pipe seals and a lot cheaper than the dealer,

regards malcolm
Are they actually answering the phone and looking to do business again?
stuart_hedges
1K Away

Post by stuart_hedges »

I've been here before.

When I was running my CX, back in 2003 or thereabouts, I tried to buy an accumulator sphere for it here in the UK and was told parts don't exist for them any more.

I tried again in France, in Norauto (equivalent of Halfords) and was told much the same thing.

Then I took it to the Citroen main dealer (in France) and they had plenty in stock. The parts chappie had an old-fashioned paper catalogue so I was able to read upside-down as he was looking for the part, and realised that the same accumulator features in every hydraulic Citroen from DS to Xantia. The other companies simply didn't have the knowledge.

I think this issue is more about knowledge than about parts rarity - we run mass-produced cars, not Ferraris, and it's not unlikely that a part you need for your BX was also used on a Peugeot 206.
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

However, over the last 6 months I've found it a lot easy getting parts for the BX than I have for my equivalent aged Montego. I know it's all relative but I've been a lot more dependant on lucky NOS finds for the Monty on ebay, and that's despite having the likes of Rimmers available to us Austin Rover owners.
You're talking economies of scale here - according to 'How Many Left' there are around 1000 BX's on the road, with the same number on SORN. On the other hand, there are less than 500 Montego's on the road, with just over 800 on SORN. If my past experience of 80's Austin Rovers are anything to go by, I'd bet a fair chunk of those cars off the road are in need of welding!

The problem with both these cars are they have very little value, yet need the same amount of time, dedication and money to keep up together than other, much more valuable machinery.
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

The dealers could help if they either knew how to, or wanted to. But I've pretty much yet to come across a Citroen dealer partsmans who actually gives a f**k!

They still have access to the information, it's just the new system they use only covers cars within the last 8 years.

Stock pile the spares - throw nothing away and make what you can't buy. That's what I do! :lol:
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
mds141
Over 2k

Post by mds141 »

I bought a new DS3 last year from my local citroen dealer and my parents collect theirs tomorrow from the same dealer following my recommendation. I spoke to the salesmen and asked if they would give me something as a sweetener, seeing as they had made a sale from me introducing a new customer. " sure" he said "what would you like". I asked for some bottles of LHM. "LH what" was his reply. Says a lot I think. The days of olio pneumatic citroens are numbered I'm afraid.
Mark Smith

Is it just me or is everything shit?

1989 BX GTi 16 valve. Blanc Alpine. Completed the Citroen Classic Challenge Ecosse and 1337 miles without a hitch.
2000 XM VSX 2.1 td Auto. Rouge Magenta.
TGD saloon many years ago.

1990 Swift 'Corniche' 12/2 aka BXClub HQ.
Honda Firestorm. Gone, but not forgotten.
2015 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC.
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Kitch wrote:The dealers could help if they either knew how to, or wanted to.
I'm sure you're right. I remember a classic instance of that sort of thing in a Land Rover dealer a few years back - I was after a hose from the water pump on an early Range Rover engine.
Dealer: Sorry sir, the computer only goes back as far as 1990.
Me: Well, can't you please just have a look on the shelves and see if there is anything matching what I have in my hand?
Dealer: Sorry, we have far too much stock, and it's so old we certainly wouldn't have it in anyway.
Old guy wandering in from the storeroom: Is that off a Rover V8?
Me: Yes...
Old guy: Is it the hose from the water pump to the inlet manifold?
Me: Yes!
Old guy (to the original bloke 'serving' me): Well that's part number FRC such-and-such, you'll find it on the second shelf down, third from the left.
:lol: :lol:

1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Mike E (uk)
1K Away

Post by Mike E (uk) »

I have a rule of thumb that says 'In a shop, always ask for help from the guy who is older than me '

trouble is, I am getting older and the shop folk are getting younger so its getting harder to get good advice.

Mike
la BX 16 soupapes: sachez apprecier avec moderation.

It might be clever now, but it won't be in the morning!