Mickys blogalog

Tell us about life with your BX, or indeed life in general!
Mickey taker
Over 2k

Post by Mickey taker »

already done Vanny and the heater is working fine.

In other news the car has now decided its scared of the dark

the last three nights I have taken the kids to clubs between 6.30 and 7.00 pm and all is fine,
gone out to pick them up between 8.30 and 9.30 and it just dosent want to start, in fact it dosen't start at all,
then its fine the following morning.

tonight I turned the key and nothing happened,
turned it again and the car turned over but would not fire.
1991 BX Meteor 1.6

light travels faster than sound, thats why you look intelligent and then you spoil it all by opening your mouth !!!!!
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

I think the petrol BXs can be a pain in the arse to start at times. They can take a lot of cranking in certain circumstances. On the 2CV, you have to start them hot with the throttle wide open. Cold, no throttle is best.
BX Meteor
BXpert

Post by BX Meteor »

/\ that's standard procedure on 2CV/Dyane/Ami, and on BX petrol carbs, and AFAIK on most downdraught carbs

R-reg (1976) Ami 8 owners manual
----------------------------------------

E-reg (1988) BX petrol owners manual
-------------------------------------------

K-reg (1993) BX owners manual
------------------------------------

Last edited by BX Meteor on Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
BX Meteor
BXpert

Post by BX Meteor »

Mickey taker wrote:In other news the car has now decided its scared of the dark

the last three nights I have taken the kids to clubs between 6.30 and 7.00 pm and all is fine,
gone out to pick them up between 8.30 and 9.30 and it just dosent want to start, in fact it dosen't start at all,
then its fine the following morning.

tonight I turned the key and nothing happened,
turned it again and the car turned over but would not fire.
Several things going on there Mick

When it turns over:
- if it's slow turnover then you have a dodgy battery or one of the clamps is loose, which is also the cause of the non turnover issue and poor starting.
- if it's fast turnover then you either have a dodgy ignition-switch, or a dodgy solenoid on the starter motor, causing the non turnover issue.

When it is turning over: if it will not start easily are you following the Citroen destructions in above pics ? If yes and it still won't start easily on fast turnover then you need a carb recon kit and a "round thing".

Dodgy igniton-switch/solenoid check: next time nothing happens, turn the ignition off, then use a screwdriver and hammer as follows.
-use the screwdriver to short the start terminal on the solenoid to the main battery feed . If the solenoid engages but the motor does not turn then see ffff below. If the solenoid engages and the motor turns, then try the ignition-switch again. If nothing happens try screwdriver again, etc, etc. If yes to screwdriver and no to ignition-switch, then it's the latter.
-if the solenoid does not engage when using the screwdriver, tap the solenoid with the hammer. If it engages then it's the solenoid.

If you don't know how to do the screwdriver trick, don't even try it !!! :shock: [-o< :lol: Get an assistant to turn the igniton key fully clockwise, if you hear the solenoid engage but no starter motor, see ffff below. If the solenoid does not engage then tell the assistant to hold the ignition key fully clockwise then tap the solenoid with a hammer. If it engages then it's the solenoid, if not, keep tapping with the hammer. If it still does not engage, then it might be the ignition-switch (but you need to try the screwdriver trick to be !00% certain).

ffff: it's either the main terminal in the solenoid, or the starter motor itself.

My money is on a solenoid problem: either the solenoid itself, or the main terminals in the solenoid.
You also have a carb problem methinks.
you should have kept the Golf
Mickey taker
Over 2k

Post by Mickey taker »

think Im in for a busy weekend ,its now decided its not just scared of the dark but just dosent want to go out at all, started fine at lunchtime then an hour later spun like a top but wouldent spark, think I might treat it to new distibutor cap , rotor, leads, sort carb out, check all the connections and go from there
1991 BX Meteor 1.6

light travels faster than sound, thats why you look intelligent and then you spoil it all by opening your mouth !!!!!
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

I'm betting on a dodgy ignition barrel, getting slightly tighter in the contact department in the cold. Try warming up the cabin with fire before you start ;)
Mickey taker
Over 2k

Post by Mickey taker »

last Tuesday I fitted the new ignition module and plugs, the car has been running fine on the mechanical pump, almost instant starting from cold and a few cranks when hot, then friday afternoon after a 16 mile run , it started then died.
Back on the electric pump it fired up and ran fine, smell of petrol was located, the outlet pipe on the electric pump had come loose or maybe it had always been a bit loose but had not noticed it before, tightened it up and the smell has now gone
1991 BX Meteor 1.6

Mickey taker
Over 2k

Post by Mickey taker »

well touch wood the car has been running fine this week, still hesitates a little coming off of roundabouts but throttle down hard and it pulls through, I still have to sort out the weeping water bleed valve next to the thermostat housing but generally shes running ok.
The cars getting a break next week as we are off to whitstable for a holiday, when I get back im hoping to treat it to a set of good part worn tyres I have found already on BX rims and the splitter I am collecting from Bill.
1991 BX Meteor 1.6

Mickey taker
Over 2k

Post by Mickey taker »

guess whos got a splitter !!!!!
1991 BX Meteor 1.6

mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

About bloody time! Maybe you'll stop going on about it now... :wink:

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Caffiend
Reluctant BXpert

Post by Caffiend »

Soon he'll get a round thing'n'all, then the world will end.

(Congrats Mick)
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe
1991 TZD hatch (Triton Green)
1992 Hurricane
Mickey taker
Over 2k

Post by Mickey taker »

anyone got any headlight protectors while Im on a roll :lol:
1991 BX Meteor 1.6

MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

Are you sure you've got the right one?

Runs away quickly due to wind-up going horribly wrong :wink: :lol:
2002 C5 2.0 HDI Estate - Jasmine - Now SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - My daily
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired.
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

I'm not just a username, i'm also called Matthew.
Mickey taker
Over 2k

Post by Mickey taker »

err Matthew what are you saying its black and it fits below the bumper
1991 BX Meteor 1.6

Mickey taker
Over 2k

Post by Mickey taker »

rushes off to find the picture of the one Mike sold to Andy
1991 BX Meteor 1.6