Quite a result.

Anything about BXs
Mothman

Quite a result.

Post by Mothman »

Just took the TGS Estate off NFU insurance and added her to Sophie's policy with Footman James and it cost me 20 quid for a 12 month,total £140 for both motors.Both have unlimited mileage. Well chuffed. The other 2 are 19 years old, so when they get to 20, well, more peanuts to pay!!

Andy
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Same as me Andy, I have all 5 on one policy! Love it
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

I have just recieved this letter from Peter Best Insurance:

''I am writing to let you know that the insurers have changed their underwriting criteria on this scheme. We can no longer insure cars that are too mainstream to be considered as 'classic'. This regrettably means we are unable to offer renewal on the current scheme. We can offer renewal on a different scheme for cars that are not considered 'classic' but are still a second vehicle, so you will need to have another main car for everyday use. Please can you let us know in writing that you have a main car making clear the make and model of that car and that you are the owner''

The quote for this is twice what it was on 'clasic' insurance so this is another renewal I won't be taking out :cry: and another customer they have lost.
I had already noticed on their website quick quote that cars now had to be over 30 years old to now be considred 'Classic' instead of 20. Unfortunately if this is the view of the underwriters it may get a lot more companies having to do the same.
Last edited by Defender110 on Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Can someone please clear up the confusion over Footman James' apparent requirement that the 'Classic' in question should be garaged???
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
Paul296
Over 2k
My Cars: Citroen BX 17 TZD Hurricane
Citroen BX 17 TGD

Post by Paul296 »

Philip Chidlow wrote:Can someone please clear up the confusion over Footman James' apparent requirement that the 'Classic' in question should be garaged???
I'm with Footman James and the agreement was that my cars be parked on a private drive - if I had access to a garage it would have been even cheaper. I currenly pay 124 quid a year fully comp. for two cars, which I'm VERY happy with!
Caffiend
Reluctant BXpert

Post by Caffiend »

I was gobsmacked at what Adrian Flux quoted me, and suspect that it was so high because I don't have private/garage parking. As moving house is not an option at present, contemplating renting a garage from the council as the cost will = the saving on the insurance!
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe
1991 TZD hatch (Triton Green)
1992 Hurricane
KevR
1K Away
My Cars: It's all in my signature

Post by KevR »

Caffiend wrote:I was gobsmacked at what Adrian Flux quoted me, and suspect that it was so high because I don't have private/garage parking. As moving house is not an option at present, contemplating renting a garage from the council as the cost will = the saving on the insurance!
If the garage isn't at your home address though, you may find it won't make much difference - worth checking.
1990 BX TZD Estate ('the grey one', 1991 BX TZD Estate ('the white one'), 1982 2CV6 Charleston (in bits), 1972 AZU Serie B (2CV van), 1974 HY72 Camper, 1990 Land Rover 110 diesel LWB, 1957 Mobylette AV76, 1992 Ducati 400SS, 1966 VW Beetle, 1990 Mazda MX-5, 1996 Peugeot 106D, 1974 JCB 2D MkII, 1997 BMW R1100RS, 1987 Suzuki GSX-R1100, 1978 Honda CX500A, 1965 Motobecane Cady, 1988 Honda Bros/Africa Twin, 1963 Massey Ferguson 825, and a lot of bicycles!
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Some of mine arent garaged (the TZD) but they are happy long as its on a private drive.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
themildbunch
BXpert

Post by themildbunch »

Defender110 wrote:I have just recieved this letter from Peter Best Insurance:

''I am writing to let you know that the insurers have changed their underwriting criteria on this scheme. We can no longer insure cars that are too mainstream to be considered as 'classic'. This regrettably means we are unable to offer renewal on the current scheme. We can offer renewal on a different scheme for cars that are not considered 'classic' but are still a second vehicle, so you will need to have another main car for everyday use. Please can you let us know in writing that you have a main car making clear the make and model of that car and that you are the owner''

The quote for this is twice what it was on 'clasic' insurance so this is another renewal I won't be taking out :cry: and another customer they have lost.
I had already noticed on their website quick quote that cars now had to be over 30 years old to now be considred 'Classic' instead of 20. Unfortunately if this is the view of the underwriters it may get a lot more companies having to do the same.
That's odd - I've only just in the last month insured on a new policy 2 1991 BX's with them, unlimited mileage, parked on the street for less than £200... Not sure if this was 'classic' or not but it was lots, lots cheaper than a regular 'modern' insurer
1988 BX 19 Gti 16v
1991 BX 17 TZD Estate
1991 BX 17 TZD Estate
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

I cant wait till 2013, when both my other BXs will have come of age and be insured for peanuts. However, i hope they dont realise this and change the rules.

Andy
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Philip Chidlow wrote:Can someone please clear up the confusion over Footman James' apparent requirement that the 'Classic' in question should be garaged???
I can't clear up anything with FJ. You get a different answer every time you phone up. I've been insured with FJ for many years (but stopped last year) and have never needed to garage a vehicle.