Rich's BX 19TRS

Tell us about life with your BX, or indeed life in general!
Rich
BXpert

Post by Rich »

Stinkwheel wrote: Rich did witness me washing my AX GT the other day :shock:
and I'm still getting over the shock :shock: :wink: :)
'86 2CV Dolly
'81 2CV 007 Drummer
'82 HY Shorty
'77 Smurf blue Ami8
'92 TZD Hurricane (keeping it safe for a mate)
Rich
BXpert

Post by Rich »

Another 300 miles done today (Thats nearly 900miles in a week :shock: ) as we were down in Somerset collecting the Red n White 2cv from having some damaged fixed and also our new HY:

Again, the BX wafted along at 70+mph solo and 60oddmpg whilst towing the 2cv with my A-frame.... And I am getting 41mpg on a run as well :)
'86 2CV Dolly
'81 2CV 007 Drummer
'82 HY Shorty
'77 Smurf blue Ami8
Rich
BXpert

Post by Rich »

Time for an update...

It's been a few months since I have graced these pages as I have been rather busy with the latest Sadler project... Our HY...

The last 6 months have been spent converting it from this...

To this...

with the help of the 2cvShop in Somerset and a local firm Unique Campers.

As for the BX... It's given months of reliable service. However, it has still suffered from the occasional reoccuring problem of flooding itself and running very roughly. Usually after a period of slow running.

Anyway, after a few days of sitting outside the house, I started it up on Saturday afternoon and drove off. After a few hundred yards the rough running started and then seemed to clear as the speed picked up. After 2 miles I had to stop at a roundabout and it cut out and wouldn't restart. I pushed it into a nearby carpark and checked everything I could. What I did notice was that the plugs were totally black dispite being new so it is overfueling some what.

I still couldn't get it going so for the first time in 20 years of driving classic Citroens, I came home on the back of a big lorry with flashing lights :oops: I have also discovered a fuel leak from the side of the carb which is where the throttle spindle has worn the carb body. So, it looks like the carb has to come off for a refurb.

Life is never dull is it :roll:
'86 2CV Dolly
'81 2CV 007 Drummer
'82 HY Shorty
'77 Smurf blue Ami8
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

What a delightful 'H'. Any more pics? How is it to drive?

I'm sure you'll get the BX back to health. :)
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
Paul296
Over 2k
My Cars: Citroen BX 17 TZD Hurricane
Citroen BX 17 TGD

Post by Paul296 »

Philip Chidlow wrote: How is it to drive?
Slow, I'll bet. But who cares - look at it! =D>
Rich
BXpert

Post by Rich »

Philip Chidlow wrote:What a delightful 'H'. Any more pics?
Oh plenty :)

A good mate of ours, Darren Arther who runs The 2cvShop in Warminster found it for us in the South of France last summer. As you can see from the pictures it was covered in surface rust but was in cracking condition where it mattered. He brought it back and sorted the only really rotten bit which was the doors. He also resprayed it changing the colour to deep purple (actually Black Tulip which is a BL colour)

'86 2CV Dolly
'81 2CV 007 Drummer
'82 HY Shorty
'77 Smurf blue Ami8
Rich
BXpert

Post by Rich »

Melanie and I then went down to Warminster to help put the old girl back together...

And Melanie drove it home in early January...

'86 2CV Dolly
'81 2CV 007 Drummer
'82 HY Shorty
'77 Smurf blue Ami8
Rich
BXpert

Post by Rich »

Since then I have been hard at work finishing it off...

The original idea was to convert it to a drivable tent myself but curiosity lead me to get a quote from a local firm Unique Campers. The workmanship of Scott, the owner was so good that we bit the bullit and had the work done instead. What would have taken me all year to do, took Scott 4 days.

'86 2CV Dolly
'81 2CV 007 Drummer
'82 HY Shorty
'77 Smurf blue Ami8
Rich
BXpert

Post by Rich »

Finally... Our first camping trip over easter with Darrens own Rover V8 powered HY...

As for what it is like to drive? Well it is a 1600petrol with the standard 3 speed 'box and is suprisingly good. It will cruise at 90KPH all day and with all the insulation in it now it is not too noisy (although I think we have got used to it as some would disagree :D ). The steering is certainly heavy at low speed but Melanie drives it without trouble.
It will also be at the ICCCCCCCCCCCCCR this summer.
'86 2CV Dolly
'81 2CV 007 Drummer
'82 HY Shorty
'77 Smurf blue Ami8
Mickey taker
Over 2k

Post by Mickey taker »

lovely H van Rich ,
one of my neighbours seems to be collecting or buying and selling these lately , this week he had a french registered and a british registerd one outside his hose in before and after retoration specs :lol:
couple of weeks ago he had a british registered DS safari in grey and burgundy colours , dont know where he keeps finding these lovely cars
1991 BX Meteor 1.6

light travels faster than sound, thats why you look intelligent and then you spoil it all by opening your mouth !!!!!
Rich
BXpert

Post by Rich »

Thanks Mickey :D

Do I see that you are In Milton Kynes??? If so we are not far from you near Rushden.
'86 2CV Dolly
'81 2CV 007 Drummer
'82 HY Shorty
'77 Smurf blue Ami8
Caffiend
Reluctant BXpert

Post by Caffiend »

I want to sell my house and live in that van. Beautiful restoration!
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe
1991 TZD hatch (Triton Green)
1992 Hurricane
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

That kind of thing really appeals to me as well, although whether life on the road would get tedious after a while I don't know.

I think if I was single I'd buy/rent a large barn/industrial unit to store vehicles in, and to give a postal address. I'd then live in the van, either in the barn or out travelling where the mood takes me. Obviously in my dream world I'd be able to fund it without such boring things like a job...

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

In my experience (and I drove to Sweden and back in one) they ARE bloody tedious! 3-speed box (with double-reversed shift pattern - first is away and back!) and ultra-low gearing mean 50mph is noisy, 55mph painful, 60mph not advised. Steering is heavy, brakes need a good shove (but actually are pretty good - so good they can easily lock up at the back) and acceleration isn't really something that happens.

That said, they handle like a big Mini (rack and pinion steering, stiff monocoque, all-independent suspension - in 1947!) and you rarely need to change out of top gear. Bloody tough too.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Lovely to look at. I have heard of people changing the drive train though (16v or 19TD anyone?)...

..not sure about "Rover V8 powered HY" though :shock: :lol:
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v