Building your dream BX

Anything about BXs
Matt H
1K Away

Post by Matt H »

Realistically, my 16v with a six-speed gearbox...

Ideal world, seam welded shell, and lots of bracing. The floppy bodyshell is my only real problem with the BX. Maybe a bit more power via big valves and throttle bodies/emerald ECU.

Also, you can buy those 'vary-your-wipe' relays on eBay. I fitted one to my old Audi 80.
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

You fellas and your windscreen wipers! Is it raining by any chance in the U of K ? :lol:
Todd

this yellow writing is really hard to read
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

It genuinely happens to be glorious sunshine today in Manchester! :wink:
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
electrokid
1K Away

Post by electrokid »

Yeah - a few spots Todd :lol:

Although the delayed wipe modules are readily available I decided to do something different.
that was 'programmed' by turning the intermittent wipe on then off again, waiting for the desired delay then turning on again.
In terms of engineering this is a great idea - but all it does is use existing controls to provide a more advanced function. In terms of usability I have reservations about it - while you're 'waiting for the desired delay' what are you concentrating on ? It seems to me that it could be a distraction.

So I'm in favour of a separate control for simplicity's sake. What I had in mind was a 12 way switch giving (say) 1 second increments ie: 1 to 12 seconds or perhaps 'biased' to give 3 to 15 seconds - experiment would provide the final setup. The advantage of a switch rather than a pot is that it can easily and definitely be 'zeroed' by rotating it fully anticlockwise, then the number of seconds can be counted as the number of clicks it's operated from its 'zero' or 1 second position. This means being able to set the delay quickly and accurately without too much distraction from driving.

Other things I wanted to include - partial automatic operation - an optical sensor (IR) to 'look' through the windscreen to measure 'lack of clarity' to speed up the wipe rate, an impact sensor (effectively a microphone bonded to the windscreen) to sense heavy rain and switch the wipers to full speed. Also to detect vehicle speed and reduce the wipe rate while stationary (at traffic lights for example) and / or increase the rate in line with vehicle speed. Also to use the speed sensor to activate the rear wipers for a couple of wipes when accelerating from a stand (eg from lights or a junction) since the rear screen tends to reamain fairly clear while on the move and only gets obscured when the car is stationary in light drizzle.
1992 BX19 TGD estate 228K Rusty - SORNed
2002 C5 HDi SX estate
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Even in Wales there's none forecast for the next 5 (yes five!) days…getting down to 2°C at the weekend though.

I don't see the 'special relay' as being a potential distraction - all you're effectively doing is what you probably do anyway in very light rain and flicking the wiper on when visibility diminishes. And from then on you don't need to do it again. I do admire your ingenuity though, but I must aim for things I can realistically achieve!

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

My Rover 75 had automatic wipers. They're a bleedin' godsend in Wales! It's amazing how many different 'weights' of rain you can encounter in a ten minute time period.

My BX is more of a pain in the arse than usual as there's a delay between operating the switch and getting that first wipe. I really, REALLY would like at least a mist-function (or flick wipe). My 2CV has this so it's not like Citroen don't have previous! The ability to flick the switch and get a single wipe is really useful.
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

After a bit of research I think I might have found a suitable wiper relay. I can't find any information to say whether it's suitable for a BX, but the pins are the same. I've ordered one, and once it arrives I'll open it up and make sure at least the relay contacts are connected to the same pins. It should also vary the number of wipes when the windscreen is washed, according to how long you pull the stalk to the wash position.

1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
electrokid
1K Away

Post by electrokid »

I don't see the 'special relay' as being a potential distraction - all you're effectively doing is what you probably do anyway in very light rain and flicking the wiper on when visibility diminishes.
That's true - good point.
but I must aim for things I can realistically achieve!
That looks like the 100 lines I should be writing :lol:
2002 C5 HDi SX estate
Paul296
Over 2k
My Cars: Citroen BX 17 TZD Hurricane
Citroen BX 17 TGD

Post by Paul296 »

but I must aim for things I can realistically achieve!
But this is the 'dream' BX thread, not the 'realistic' BX thread. If the far flung outer reaches, the towering pinnacle of our imagination is; wipers that work - we need to dream bigger dreams (cue inspiring music - Elgar, something like that) :D .

Sometimes when I'm sat in traffic jams I often think it would be great if I had Professor Pat Pendings car; I just press the 'telescopic wheels' button and . . . cheerio, I'm outta here! 8)

It's not as if the BX hasn't got a bit of a head start on more conventional cars in that direction. Some of you mechanical wizard folks could easily rig up something like that - wha'd' yer reckon? :D
Caffiend
Reluctant BXpert

Re: Building your dream BX

Post by Caffiend »

Dollywobbler wrote:I think we've had 'dream spec' threads before but I'm aiming for one that focuses on usability.
*picks up thread by scruff of neck and drags back on topic*

Despite my disenchanted short post up-thread (taking off recalcitrant batteries with cold water running down your neck is No Fun), my BX has every possibility of being the - realistic - dream. Lucky me!

The bits I would fix though (and probably will someday, but there's more urgent priorities):

Get a temperature gauge. Screw originality, head gaskets are expensive!
Install a sensible coffee cup holder
Do something to make the head rests usable - I seem to be just the wrong height or they are just the wrong angle - or something - to actually rest my head on them and be able to reach the steering wheel, pedals and gear lever *all at the same time*
Working rear wipers. I don't want to wash the back windscreen, it's bloody raining! - just lemme scrape the water off.
Possibly air con ...

And a list as long as your arm of cosmetic bits and pieces (if money were no object of course: complete respray and rust removal/treatment ... everywhere)
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe
1991 TZD hatch (Triton Green)
1992 Hurricane
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Caffiend wrote:Get a temperature gauge. Screw originality, head gaskets are expensive!
Working rear wipers. I don't want to wash the back windscreen, it's bloody raining! - just lemme scrape the water off.
Possibly air con ...
Well, I've fitted the first and last to mine! 8)

And the rear wiper, mine being an estate does both. A light press for wash/wipe, and full on for intermittent wipe only. See, estates are the way forwards!

Can't help with the headrests, but I often push a drink down between the front of the radio and gear lever.

:lol: @ Paul...

1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Caffiend
Reluctant BXpert

Post by Caffiend »

mat_fenwick wrote:See, estates are the way forwards!
It's a thought, and would mean that I didn't have to drive my uncle's Skoda because he keeps getting concussion from the roof (my aunt gets the front seat).

However, I think I'll just stick with adapting mine when I get to better grips with auto-electrics than just about being able to hold a multi-meter the right way up.

@Paul - why stop at telescopic wheels ... (can't access Photobucket from work)
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe
1991 TZD hatch (Triton Green)
1992 Hurricane
Paul296
Over 2k
My Cars: Citroen BX 17 TZD Hurricane
Citroen BX 17 TGD

Post by Paul296 »

Well, seeing as I'm not allowed Professor Pat Pendings car (thought not :( ), I've had my eye on this on Leboncoin for some time now . . .

Mk1 16trs 72k. lovely condtion. great colour, 3000 euros. A lorra lorra money (as Cilla would say) but if it was an auto with air con and metric alloys, that's about as near to my dream BX as I can imagine (probably has windscreen wipers as well for all I know!? :D )

@ Sandre. Truly Scrumptious! 'Caractacus Potts at your service. You'll find a slight squeeze on the hooter an excellent safety precaution Ms. Scrumptious' :D
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

The rear wiper is annoying. On the hatch, like you say, you don't always want to wash. When I got my first BX, I thought the switch was broken. Had a Saab 9000 last year and that was the same - made worse because the washer would then dribble down the screen, so you'd get into a cycle of continuously stabbing the wash/wipe button. Terrible design.

The Mk2 estate isn't a lot better. You often just want one swipe but have to stab the switch on and then off again to achieve it. Ugh! I can't comment on the Mk1 because the rear wiper doesn't work at all - I can at least be grateful that, whether design genius or fluke, the BX is one estate that barely gets any muck on the rear screen. I do like that.
electrokid
1K Away

Post by electrokid »

Get a temperature gauge. Screw originality, head gaskets are expensive!
Agreed - to retrofit one as Mat has done you'll need the instrument pod from another model - keep an eye on eBay or put a request in the For Sale and Wanted.

I suggest you keep the original speedo and just fit the extra gauges you want. The jury is out when it comes to which sensor is the correct one - I got one from a Citroen dealer which was inaccurate - unless you think that water under pressure still boils at 100 °C of course.
when I get to better grips with auto-electrics than just about being able to hold a multi-meter the right way up.

To test the sensors hook up to the DMM and dunk it in boiling water - at 100°C they should read 130°? - oil temp and water temp are the same.

There is one thing I would suggest you check first though - the fan operation. The temp switch is at the bottom of the rad - it's under the rad filler so gets any spilt water and also road spray in the rain. Wiring goes to a connector which is in an area under the NS headlamp - both these connections are subject to corrosion so it's worth checking the fan on a regular basis.

Get a knife blade such as a Stanley and use it (without shorting the knife to chassis) to short out the connections at the rad switch (engine running of course) - it uses a fair amount of current so it'll spark.

Another mod which may be easier is to fit a double switch (there are a variety of temperature combinations) and an extra fan - there is the space to do that and some models have 2 fans as standard.
2002 C5 HDi SX estate