Instrumentation Swapping

BX Tech talk
Bluey1978
Confirmed BX'er

Instrumentation Swapping

Post by Bluey1978 »

I have a BX19RD - This does not have the luxury of an oil or temperature gauge only a little light to tell you when things go wrong!!! (Touch Wood).

I am not interested in a rev counter so if any other BX or Pug 405 has a basic binnacle with temp & oil I'd be happy. Is it possible to do a straight swap for an instrument binnacle that has these 2 gauges, ie is it a straight clip in and go, or do you need to re-wire a few bits.

I have been having a look at the Citroen Do-It-Yourself section on www.tramontana.co.hu/citroen on this particular web-page

http://www.tramontana.co.hu/citroen/coo ... oling.html

and it appears to require minimal soldering work to fit a PUG 405 GTI binnacle.

1) Do they just refer to a PUG 405 GTI binnacle as they are much easier to source.

or

2) Do they refer to the GTI binnacle as it is the ONLY binnacle to have these 2 gauges.

Any help by anyone who has done this would help greatly.

regards

Deano
Previous owner of a 1988 BX19 RD & Previous BX Meteor & Xantia Owner.
1995 Toyota Estima Lucida X Diesel
Mr B
Northern Moderator
Northern Moderator

Post by Mr B »

They are referring to the Pug 205 not the 405. You can swap bits around and create a BX binnacle without a rev counter but with a water temp gauge. You need to use a taller blue topped sender unit on the engine and can use the original wire to the binnacle. The oil temp gauge will require another sender, which fits in a separate hole in the sump behind the bottom engine mount. The BX doesn't have this extra hole unfortunately; you will have to find a sump pan with one on. Pug 205 diesels have one. If you can get hold of a 205GTI binnacle, they fit straight in but the rev counter is wrong and you will need a flywheel sensor to make it work.
Last edited by Mr B on Fri Mar 31, 2006 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1991 Landrover Discovery
1995 VW Golf SE
Bluey1978
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Bluey1978 »

Thanks for clarifying that. :lol:
Previous owner of a 1988 BX19 RD & Previous BX Meteor & Xantia Owner.
1995 Toyota Estima Lucida X Diesel
peterbot
Confirmed BX'er

Post by peterbot »

What if youv'e got the proper bx instrument cluster with the extra 2 guages and you try and fit it in a bx with standard cluster. Will the extra guages work or does it need extra bits?
Mr B
Northern Moderator
Northern Moderator

Post by Mr B »

You can swap and change the bits around, it's all interchangable. My red BX (now with Marty 8) ) had a temp and oil gauge from a 205 GTI. The needles are slightly different and it light up orange instead of green but does the job.
1991 Landrover Discovery
1995 VW Golf SE
M

Post by M »

Mr B wrote:You can swap and change the bits around, it's all interchangable. My red BX (now with Marty 8) ) had a temp and oil gauge from a 205 GTI. The needles are slightly different and it light up orange instead of green but does the job.
I can confirm - it does indeed do the job :D
Ian_Fearn
Spender lotta cash on Citroens

Post by Ian_Fearn »

Come on Marty, get some pictures of this lovely BX up!
Over and out from me