Team Green Tiger - BX19TGD - Back on the road

Tell us about life with your BX, or indeed life in general!
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Re: Team Green Tiger - BX19TGD

Post by Dollywobbler »

New caliper fitted, 2 new wheel bearings fitted. She drives beautifully now! Makes me realise how down on power the Mk1 is as she feels like a bleedin' turbo!

Sadly, the windscreen washer isn't working. Pump works but I'm getting nothing at the spindle. Can't remove the long pipe from the washer bottle (they always seem to seize on) so am now considering an utter bodge with jets on the scuttle panel. I hate the spray bar set up anyway.

The height correctors seem sticky too. It's a real struggle to move the lever. It was fine 14 months ago! I'm hoping the MOT man will let me lube it all up while it's in the air as I've had enough of scrabbling around beneath the thing.
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Operation Washer Bodge is go. I've got new pipe, a twin-jet nozzle and a drill. Just need the rain to stop now...

MOT is booked for Wednesday.
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Washers sorted. On a very temporary basis... Tim might not approve!

It does work though!
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Now has MOT! An advisory for corrosion around the back end (the panel behind the bumper) but otherwise fine. Phew! It's a really nice drive actually. Glad to haver her back!

Some things need attention. The PAS doesn't always deliver full assistance (but doesn't generally cut out completely) which I suspect is belt tension and/or filthy filters. The clutch bite is too high (it was too low when I got it - wouldn't go into first gear at all! Need to back off my adjustment a bit). Longer term, it'll need some welding, the heater tap needs replacing and despite some lube while it was on the tester's ramp, the height adjuster linkages are still very sticky.
Caffiend
Reluctant BXpert

Post by Caffiend »

Congratulations!

That little lot doesn't sound too bad for a car that hasn't had its share of maintenance whilst being used fairly heavily over the last little while - a testament to just how tough BXs really are.
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe
1991 TZD hatch (Triton Green)
1992 Hurricane
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Aye. It's coped really well. The Mk1 also demonstrates how these things will often keep going on despite being far from well.

I'm still not sure what the long term future is. Bodywork is expensive so getting it properly sorted out might not be realistic. Unless one of them goes... (something needs to give. We've got 5 cars at the moment which is just silly!).
Mistah G

Post by Mistah G »

I'm sorry I never gave her the maintenance she deserved. Part of the reason I sold her was because I knew if I had owned the car much longer something terrible would probably have happened and I would have been too embroiled in life-bollocks to sort it and then given up entirely. It makes me very glad to see she's getting the right kinda lovin from you sir! :)
1991 BX TGD estate - The Green Tiger
Caffiend
Reluctant BXpert

Post by Caffiend »

Even though it's a special car Mistah G, it's still just a car and you obviously loved it - no offence meant or insult intended, truly! We all do what we can :)
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe
1991 TZD hatch (Triton Green)
1992 Hurricane
Mistah G

Post by Mistah G »

I gave her 30,000 miles of love ;)
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

''her'', ''love''?? It's a lump of metal not a loved one!
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Behave Kevan. :P Most of my cars have names and if it wasn't for emotional attachment, we'd all drive around in Toyota Carinas.
Defender110
Over 2k

Post by Defender110 »

In that case; How very carinaist of you, I should report you to The Commision of Carina Eqaulity ! (can't find the smileys?)
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Drat!

The odd thing is, I don't actually feel the same vibe for the BXs as I do for the 2CV. Elly the 2CV has been mine since I was 21 and she's a very special car. I really do like the BX, but she never really became anything other than 'the BX' when I first owned her. I call her 'Bex' now mainly to differentiate her from the other BX! Though she is a she...

I'm very glad to have this one back though. She's done sterling service for Mistah G in his time of need and she's now back to a rather more gentle life in the country. She might not get beyond the next MOT, but she's already proving very useful. How nice it is to have a BX that feels pleasant to drive and which doesn't leak! Now I've just got to try and make sure I start dealing with the Mk1's issues and don't just leave it forgotten in the garage...
Mistah G

Post by Mistah G »

All of Defender110's cars are sat in the garage feeling sad because they know he doesn't love them.
Defender110
Over 2k

Post by Defender110 »

All my cars get over lavished with careful correct maintenance and are stored in a heated garage,(apart rom poor tizzydee ;-)) I like them all but they will never be a ‘he’ or a ‘her’ and I certainly don’t intend to start loving an inanimate object, I’ll leave that to the objectum sexuals amongst us! (still can't find the smileys?)
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202