BX MOT

BX Tech talk
mnde
Meteor Man
My Cars: 2007 Citroen Xsara Picasso 1.6 16V VTX
1982 Citroen GSA Spécial Estate - gone to a new home
1991 Citroen BX16 TGS Meteor - still out there somewhere!

BX MOT

Post by mnde »

Well folks, my Meteor went in for pre-MOT work yesterday including:

Repair-welding the rear exhaust hanger, new handbrake cables, fixing the puny pressure of the spraybar spray, tightening leaking rear h/c unions and replacing one brake flexi.

But I've been told I need a new windscreen and a power steering rubber coupling before it can be put in for MOT. The screen has a crack in the lower o/s corner that's longer than the specified limit. Luckily I've got windscreen cover on my insurance, so it should cost me a £50 excess if I opt to use the Endsleigh Glass Service... Now I'm pretty sure it's tinted glass. Is that going to be a problem, or did most BXs have tinted glass? It doesn't look green to me... what variants are there? Anyone know what the Meteor glass spec is?

Thanks!

Mark.
m_2975
BXpert
My Cars: 1989 BX 19TRI Estate
1993 BX GTI
1997 Xantia CT Turbo

windscreen

Post by m_2975 »

Mark,

From memory I don't think that the front windscreens were tinted. In most countries tint on the windscreen is illegal.
My Cars:
'93 BX 19GTi Sedan 5M
'89 BX 19TRI Estate 5M
'89 AX GT(With EFI) 2door 5M
In the Family:
'74 SM IE (Fully Restored) 5M
'90 BX 19TRI122 Sedan 4A
'02 Xantia Exclusive Sedan 4AA
'06 C5 2.2HDi Estate 6A
mnde
Meteor Man

Post by mnde »

Ah, good point!

Thanks,

Mark.
RichardW
BXpert

Post by RichardW »

I think you'll find the screen is tinted. I think there were 2 on the BX - green and a sort of browny colour. If you open the door and bob your head in and out past the A pillar ( :lol: ) you should be able to tell if it's tinted. The screen in my previous Xantia was certainly tinted, and when I had to have it changed the new one was clear - the difference was very marked on bright days! Still, with a new screen, it won't act like a diffraction grating at night, and stop eating wiper blades every 3 months (my wife's ZX is due to have a windscreen 'accident' later in the year, for this very reason :twisted: )
I NEED a BX TD.
m_2975
BXpert
My Cars: 1989 BX 19TRI Estate
1993 BX GTI
1997 Xantia CT Turbo

glass tint

Post by m_2975 »

RichardW,

The side and rear windows are tinted. The early cars had a browny / bronze tint and the later cars had a green tint. I've never seen a BX with a tinted front windscreen.

Xantias had a tinted front screen in the UK and in some other countries. The later Xantias (2000 model and on had a metalized windscreen)
My Cars:
'93 BX 19GTi Sedan 5M
'89 BX 19TRI Estate 5M
'89 AX GT(With EFI) 2door 5M
In the Family:
'74 SM IE (Fully Restored) 5M
'90 BX 19TRI122 Sedan 4A
'02 Xantia Exclusive Sedan 4AA
'06 C5 2.2HDi Estate 6A
mnde
Meteor Man

Post by mnde »

I've just popped out from my office to check - and the windows are definitely NOT tinted in any way. :lol:

Maybe it's my other, later, Meteor that has tints...

BTW I can't use the windscreen from that one as it's covered in little pits and eats wiper blades. And when the sun catches the screen at a certain angle... I'm pretty sure this happened as a result of encountering a freak hailstorm while driving at 70mph on the motorway near Scotland :?

Anyway, I'm booked for a replacement fitting on Tuesday. Good job I have the Windscreen Cover - as my garage repair bill for the rest of the work carried out is going to be £250 plus the MOT...

Mark.
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

Both mine have green tinted screens - the browny colour is I think known as bronze.

If you do lots of night driving I think you will be very fortunate to have an untinted one. However I'm sure the tint does protect the interior from fading and rotting in sunlight.

I see no reason why you shouldn't have a tinted screen and the rest plain. When I bought a new one a few years ago after some yob lobbed a brick at it it cost me £111 fitted.

jeremy
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Post by Stewart (oily!) »

Mine has green tints, one of the old ones (1987 DTR) had brown sundym glass, looked nice that one.
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Xantia Td estate, going soft
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

Mine too has green tints but I believe the winscreen tint is lighter than the other windows. :D
1991 BX19GTi Auto
sleepy0905
1K Away

Post by sleepy0905 »

Mine also has a greeny tint which they had to check when i had the screen was replaced earlier this year but i told them I am not having a plain screen it has to be tinted.
2017 Seat Leon ST FR 2.0 150Bhp
Gareth Wales
BXpert

Post by Gareth Wales »

Mine's green tinted - in fact that was all the replacement company stocked.
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

The rarest windscreen of all must be the one with the sunvisa strip along the top of the screen.

My Mk1 had one of these when I got it, but cracked :evil: I priced up the new ones at the time and plain glass was £65. Tinted was £85 but the sunstrip one was £160.

No prizes for guessing which one it has in now :lol:
They think it's all over, it is now!
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

Was it only MK1's that had the top-shaded windscreen fitted? My MK1 Digit has one (but is damaged :cry: ). The DTR screen seems to be clear, and my sisters TZD has a very slight green tint.

I spoke to a local windscreen fit place down here, and they told me that top-shade screens are still available for the BX, at £arm & £leg. But if you're doing it through insurance, then it'll still be the standard £50 excess.

One thing's for sure though. The difference that having a new screen makes in an older car, especially at night and in the rain is amazing.
this might be a signature
sleepy0905
1K Away

Post by sleepy0905 »

I know what you mean david the permanent looking through haze glare and fog its was quite startelling when i had mine done in January I then realized how bad mine had become.
2017 Seat Leon ST FR 2.0 150Bhp
mnde
Meteor Man

Post by mnde »

My Meteor now has a shiny virgin windscreen, fitted by the nice bloke from RAC Auto Windscreens in my office carpark :D Can't wait to test it out - make sure I scrupulously clean the bloody wiperblade though before I use it!

So it's back in tomorrow morning to have the steering coupling done and the MOT test. Fingers crossed!!

Mark.