BX alternator.

BX Tech talk
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

BX alternator.

Post by cavmad »

Are the alternators the same on various models? I might need one for a TZD and was sorting of hoping the one from the 1.6 petrol would do the job. I would have thought it maybe more suitable than some other more basic models because the 1.6 has alectric windows, central locking and an electric sunroof so I gues the alternator would be a higher output?
Vauxhall apologist.
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Post by Stewart (oily!) »

There is the matter of output and also the width of the pulley, from memory TZDs have a 5 row pulley, lesser motors have a 4 row one, on some alternators the pulley can be swapped, I am using a later alternator without the fan behind the pulley which can come from later 405, ZX, Xantias.
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Xantia Td estate, going soft
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

Certainly some ZX ones won't go on the brackets on a BX diesel. The one I tried was from I TD ZX I understand.

Various on line catalogues will give some interchangeabilities. TD are different from what I recall.

jeremy
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Thanks people, I`m hoping to have a shufty at said car sometime today and will keep you posted.
Vauxhall apologist.
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

Think you'll find the 1.6 petrol alt is driven by a single groove belt, wouldn't swear to it.

19Ds have a 4 groove pulley and the TD has 5. You can fit the 4 groove but remember to change the belt as well.
They think it's all over, it is now!
RichardW
BXpert

Post by RichardW »

Don't forget to come back and tell us how much you enjoyed fitting the alternator to the TD. Boy, it's fun 8)
I NEED a BX TD.
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Richard, I`ve just had a look at that very job and it looks like a right tw*t of a mission. I can see various minor(ish!) bits and pieces that will need to be removed (plastic air flow hose for example) but having hands like a shovel I just can`t wait to tackle getting the bolts off and getting the bloody thing on and off :cry:
Anyone got a spare known good 1.7TD alternator knocking about, ideally locally?
Vauxhall apologist.
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

You need to take the radiator out otherwise there is no clearance on TZDs, you will succeed in getting the alternator off the engine then wonder why you cant get it out, dont ask me how i know :)
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

:cry: Thanks Stewart, sounds like fun. Not :?
Vauxhall apologist.
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

Secret of getting the TD alternator out is to twist it and take it out through the gap by the reservoir. Last time I fiddled I was trying to fit the larger ZX one unsuccessfully and so am a bit hazy on what I did apart from swearing but I do know you do NOT have to remove the radiator. I may have removed the top locating plastic strip and pushed it forwards a fraction but may not have needed to. If you need more room - lift the radiator off its lower locating spikes.

Certainly beats taking the thing out - and if you really have to the top plastic strip has to come off anyway.

The problem with the ZX one was not the clearance with the radiator but the clearance between the top and bottom bracket - and it would have gone in I think but it was getting complicated as a new or different top bracket was required and there comes a stage where a simple job turns into a lifetimes work and its just not worth it!

The ancilliary components like alternator and injection pumps seem to be in slightly different positions on ZX 1.9D to BX 1.7TD - which means things may be a bit more difficult than they initially look.

jeremy
RichardW
BXpert

Post by RichardW »

It's a few years ago, but I didn't take the rad out. The air inlet hose and the rad top plate, and the HP pump suction line had to come off IIRC. It's one of those jobs where you keep having to take things off till there's enough room to get it out. I tried dropping it out of the bottom, but couldn't get the last bolt on the mounting to get it out of the way :roll:

Alternator had been noisy for a while and we'd just been on a 900 mile round trip to Glasgow from Reading, and I was thinking it was getting really noisy. SWMBO went to work the next day and rang me at lunch time to say the car had stopped. Bugger had seized up and stalled the engine, and it wouldn't restart - I don't know, let her loose in it for 5 miles, and she breaks it :twisted: . Took the AA man a while to figure out what was going on and drop the belt off :lol: He offered to get a new one and fit it - after 2 hours trying to get it out, I was starting to think I should have let him 8)
I NEED a BX TD.
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

Once unbolted they will come out, bit of a conjouring trick, may even come out from below.

Could have a TD alt in the garage.
They think it's all over, it is now!
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

the 1.6 petrol alternator should be 90degrees out on the bracket, it will look just about right until you try to put it in and find its upside down, its a bit of pyg!

I should have a spare 5groove belt alternator in the garage i think, used to have a couple and forced intake alternators are no use to me (thats when they have the fan on the outside)! Will bring it next week?
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Please Vanny!
Vauxhall apologist.
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Thats an old one, take the nuts off the holding it together bolts and rotate to suit, ie until the brackets line up, nuff said
Prince Stewart, Minister for roads.
TZD 19 TD one of the few