Mickys blogalog

Tell us about life with your BX, or indeed life in general!
merlyn
BXpert

Re: Mickys blogalog

Post by merlyn »

You have my sympathy with the school parking. I live 15 yards from our primary school, when I go out I have to time it so that I can park within quarter of a mile of my house! The upside of that of course is that I do the school run by standing by the front window.
1992 BX 1.6 TXi automatic Bleu Sirene
(now sadly gone)

1999 Xantia 1.8 SX automatic Gris Quartz
saintjamesy89
1K Away
My Cars: 1985 Citroen BX19 GT
198x Citroen BX16 TRS auto
1988 Volvo 740 2.0 GL Hearse
1991 Saab 900 16v convertible
2007 Lexus RX 400h SE

Post by saintjamesy89 »

Hopefully that'll get the bastard then Mick! Nothing like camera evidence.
I'm not a Saint, or a James, but a Tom Saint-James!

Mes voitures:
1985 Citroen BX19 GT
1988 Volvo 740 2.0 GL Hearse
2006 Lexus RX 400h SE hybrid
Mickey taker
Over 2k

Post by Mickey taker »

no luck catching the guy that hit my car so far ,
the car has just passed the 115,000 mile mark and apart from a temporary leak from the bottom hose on Thursday is doing all it should when it should , still takes a lot of cranking when hot but have learnt to live with it and just wave at anybody who stares for too long ,
sorting out heater panel lights and the cable that has come unclipped then its onto the bodywork
1991 BX Meteor 1.6

light travels faster than sound, thats why you look intelligent and then you spoil it all by opening your mouth !!!!!
Paul296
Over 2k
My Cars: Citroen BX 17 TZD Hurricane
Citroen BX 17 TGD

Post by Paul296 »

Mickey taker wrote: still takes a lot of cranking when hot but have learnt to live with it and just wave at anybody who stares for too long ,
Ah, the old hot starting a petrol BX routine. I used to find pressing the gas peddle down sometimes worked. When it didn't pumping the gas peddle sometimes worked -when that flooded the engine (which it usually did) getting out and screaming; 'you worthless piece of shit' didn't help either but I did feel better somehow. When you get really hacked of with the whole pathetic charade there's always . . .

Diesels :shock:
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

IIRC the correct hot starting method from the owner's manual for carb equipped BXs is to hold the throttle pedal part way down when cranking.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

mat_fenwick wrote:IIRC the correct hot starting method from the owner's manual for carb equipped BXs is to hold the throttle pedal part way down when cranking.
The sticker on the window of the 16TRS (the same mechanicals) states just that, weird that the GT has the same carb yet jumps into life first time when warm with no gas, yet the 16TRS wont unless I give it some "pedal".
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Mickey taker
Over 2k

Post by Mickey taker »

sticker in TGS says foot to the floor for hot starting , it works ( eventually )
1991 BX Meteor 1.6

light travels faster than sound, thats why you look intelligent and then you spoil it all by opening your mouth !!!!!
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Mickey taker wrote:sticker in TGS says foot to the floor for hot starting , it works ( eventually )

Same one then, think the carb needs setting up? TRS was abismal to start when I got it, changed the carb for a rebuilt one off a scrapper and its much better.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Mickey taker
Over 2k

Post by Mickey taker »

it actually says

WARNING- HOT START-START WITH ACCELERATOR

FULLY DEPRESSED-DO NOT PUMP-

maybe I should make it very sad and not fart
1991 BX Meteor 1.6

Mickey taker
Over 2k

Post by Mickey taker »

yay , my special mate Nigel came over with his thin fingers and had a rummage down below,

the hot /cold knob now works as it should
where I had been trying to get full range from hot to cold the cable at the heater tap end had snagged which is what caused the clip to pop off at the knob end !!!
1991 BX Meteor 1.6

Mickey taker
Over 2k

Post by Mickey taker »

did an oil change today in less time than it took Andy Murray to win the first set.
Would have cleaned the lhm filter to if I could of found the guide in the tech section doh !!!
1991 BX Meteor 1.6

Willy
BXpert

Post by Willy »

I did mine the other day too, sadly my genius idea of trying to drain the old oil directly into an old petrol can didn't work very well, splashy splash.

RE hot starting I just start cranking and slowly depress the loud pedal down until it catches, seems to work fine and avoids an epic VROOM of just planting it
ImageImageImageImageImage
Mickey taker
Over 2k

Post by Mickey taker »

well I think the BX has caught on that the trajet is going soon due to its replacement arriving tomorrow.
The battery light has stayed off all day :D
and I have fitted my illuminated window switches as well ( very subtle )
tinkered with the mixture on the carb and have got the tickover much smoother.
mind you I did think of selling the BX to buy a 68 Humber sceptre ( free tax dont you know ) but someone beat me to it
1991 BX Meteor 1.6

Mickey taker
Over 2k

Post by Mickey taker »

new people carrier collected today from Blackburn, a couple of teething problems that the garage sorted out immediately and being as I had seen less highly specked models for £2,000 more down my way it was well worth the drive. going to be strange driving a diseasel again after all this time but hey ho
1991 BX Meteor 1.6

mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

So what have you got to replace the Tragic?

Glad you like the switches!

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad