Still on the Road

Anything about BXs
Gareth Wales
BXpert

Still on the Road

Post by Gareth Wales »

Is there a way of discovering whether a certain car is still on the road - and are the registration numbers of scrapped cars ever re-distributed?
Ian_Fearn
Spender lotta cash on Citroens

Post by Ian_Fearn »

The RAC website can tell you if a car is still a taxed vehicle. You just need to register with them
Over and out from me
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

The DVLA website will give you an indication of the vehicles status.

http://www.vehiclelicence.gov.uk/EvlPortalApp/
Gareth Wales
BXpert

Post by Gareth Wales »

Thanks Ian and Ken for your lightning replies (about 40 seconds!!)
My concern is that my penultimate car, which was being driven by my daughter and which was involved in an accident in northern Ireland was allegedly written off three years ago.
I have always had nagging doubts about it because the insurance company would never disclose to my daughter where the car was taken after the accident.
I now see from the DVLA webside that its "date of liability is 01 04 06
but that vehcile status is "SORN expired" does one contradict the other, or does Sorn expired indicates it has indeed been scrapped.?
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

Can't be certain, but it probably does.
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

It almost certainly means that the current Sorn certificate next expires on 01.04.06.
I`d suggest it`s been off the road and tax expired since 31.03.05 (or longer) as sorn lasts for one year periods then gets renewed.
Possibly, just possibly, it`s in someone`s garden or yard being used for parts or was supposed to be rebuilt and it never happened.
Vauxhall apologist.
Gareth Wales
BXpert

Post by Gareth Wales »

Thanks Billy, that's reassuring; so it probably didn't emerge as a cut-and-shut. Still, it brings into focus that you can really look after a car for 12 years from new - and it can disappear in seconds. That;s Life!!! :twisted:
Gareth