Talking B____X

Tell us about life with your BX, or indeed life in general!
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Re: Talking B____X

Post by Philip Chidlow »

:wink: I think I might give the Red Baron a day off. It's been worked mercilessly since the Challenge...

And with wife and daughter in tow, the added novelty might make it a more memorable weekend for them. :)

Of course, if I was on my own, I'd bring the BX (and if they decide I can't have the DS for the w/e I'll be secretly happy ;) )
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
mds141
Over 2k

Post by mds141 »

I expect a L J k Setrightesque report! :)
Mark Smith

Is it just me or is everything shit?

1989 BX GTi 16 valve. Blanc Alpine. Completed the Citroen Classic Challenge Ecosse and 1337 miles without a hitch.
2000 XM VSX 2.1 td Auto. Rouge Magenta.
TGD saloon many years ago.

1990 Swift 'Corniche' 12/2 aka BXClub HQ.
Honda Firestorm. Gone, but not forgotten.
2015 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC.
sdelasal
BXpert

Post by sdelasal »

There are lots more pictures here from todays Maldon car show - i'm just annoyed that I managed to miss it as it's just up the road. Phil's car appears about 2/3's of the way down. There's a nice picture of a old DS too & I think that's Phil in the left of the picture.
Last edited by sdelasal on Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Ah, the DS5. Watch your head when you get in as they've cleverly designed the door frame to wallop people when they get in. Had one on the Citroen stand at La Vie en Bleu and it caught a lot of people out! It's also gloomier inside than Grimsby, has the sort of visibility you'd expect if you'd been locked inside a post box, and is fuggin' hideously ugly. It looks like someone made an early Renault Espace that's melted a bit (well, quite a lot actually) in the heat.

Final nail in the coffin is an electronic handbrake - the single most stupid feature fitted to a car ever.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Dollywobbler wrote:Ah, the DS5. Watch your head when you get in as they've cleverly designed the door frame to wallop people when they get in. Had one on the Citroën stand at La Vie en Bleu and it caught a lot of people out! It's also gloomier inside than Grimsby, has the sort of visibility you'd expect if you'd been locked inside a post box, and is fuggin' hideously ugly. It looks like someone made an early Renault Espace that's melted a bit (well, quite a lot actually) in the heat.

Final nail in the coffin is an electronic handbrake - the single most stupid feature fitted to a car ever.
I'm starting to think I'll take the BX... ;) :lol:
mds141
Over 2k

Post by mds141 »

That's fine Phil. I'll just borrow the DS5. :) On second thoughts, you could borrow my DS3 for a couple of days and do a back to back comparison. :)
Mark Smith

1989 BX GTi 16 valve. Blanc Alpine. Completed the Citroen Classic Challenge Ecosse and 1337 miles without a hitch.

Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

I sat in the DS5 again today - the driver's seat this time. You did have to watch yourself on the door frame - scraped my scalp the first time, but no worse than a C4... It is 'enclosing' and some of the detailing is distracting - but that's something you'd get used to I guess. Visibility: ANY new car is going to feel claustrophobic compared to an old car like the BX. I think I could get used to it too.
Let's see.
mds141
Over 2k

Post by mds141 »

The DS5 I sat in at our Citroen dealership had the light tan "watch strap" leather interior which certainly "lifts" the interior ambience.
Mark Smith

Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Peugeot 806 -
Clutch: Check. Cam belt: Check. Oil and filters: Check. New brake discs and pads: Check. Three replacement tyres plus alignment: Check. Air conditioning services and regassed: Check. Money left over for holiday:

Oh.

:roll: :lol:
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

And it hasn't stopped there: Replaced fuel return pipe, camcover gasket, leak off pipes, new fuel filter, new rear shock absorber, dash bulbs.... and it still gives me grief; this little baby is leaking like a sieve:

(Not my 806 but a Googled XUD image for ref.)

And the seal between plastic housing and alloy pre-heaty thing above thermostat housing is weeping like a failed Olympic rower...

Kermit to the rescue: Post Office permitting I should receive a replacement filter housing with non-leaking seals and fit it on Wednesday. Fingers crossed.
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

I wrote:you'll see a white plastic thing on the side near the bottom - this is a valve which allows fuel to flow through a heat exchanger underneath the filter in cold weather. The O ring on this can fail and allow air in.
Ah, so I was partly right - you're getting diesel leaking out rather than (or as well as) air in? You'll have replaced most things which could cause a leak, so hopefully should give you piece of mind (looking on the bright side...)

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Well, here's hoping. If there is another air leak it'll be the bulb or a particular long return pipe that runs from the filter side to the pump side, below the level of the injectors (Peugeot sourced it for me - dunno what it's called) and I have a new one of those to fit at the same time as the filter housing. I really hope this fix soves the problem!
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

First indications are - thanks to replacing the whole fuel filter housing (thanks Kermit for sending the part so quickly!) - are that we located the problem accurately (another thanks to Steve - sdelasal) and the car starts, idles and runs fine. No stalling or tricky starting. A round trip of around 33 miles tomorrow should reveal the 'truth'. Feeling a bit more positive now. :)

I have to decide how - what with all the difficulties of work/income - I am going to get in a chevron badged car again! Ah well, next year; maybe another BX but other Cits appeal too: Visa, GS/GSA, XM or even another ZX... time will tell.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

A few weeks on and the Pug is actually behaving very well, and is proving very useful, so as a family transport it is to stay for the time being.

We will get a BX as a second car when circumstances allow (Mat's turbo estate appeals but wrong time :( ) because really, only a BX will satisfy. I have toyed with the idea of another ZX (if anything it'll be harder to find a good one than a BX) or a Xantia (because Liz particularly liked driving the VSX auto - a petrol 2.0 16v auto would be nice: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Citroen-Xanti ... 0966021090" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) or even a Xsara VTS Mk1.

So - eventually, a BX for us: prefer a red or white GTi 8v or a TD estate... but we'll have to wait.

I could be persuaded to part with the 806 and replace with either an XM or the Xantia above, as a family cruiser... but not until next year I think.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

It seems we aren't in a position to get a BX - or indeed anything - yet, and looking at BX prices, I'm worried they'll become a little pricey! :)

As it is we'll keep the 806, which, with its heated seats and efficient heater, might prove even more popular with the family this winter. Incidentally, our Peugeot would've cost a smidge over £24,500 on the road when new in 1995. Blimey. However it spent its first few months as a dealer demo, so probably got sold on for a lot less later on.