Illuminated Window Switches

Frequently asked technical questions and common modifications/improvements
mat_fenwick

Illuminated Window Switches

Post by mat_fenwick »

Anyone who is as much of an anorak as I am might want illuminated window switches, so I thought I'd post up a few pictures to show how it's done for future reference. I used 3mm LEDs with a built in series resistor for direct 12V connection; anything bigger would be tricky to fit in and solder.

First price off the switch rocker. You'll see a flat plate in the middle which is the positive connection, and other tab at right angles up the side of the switch. I found it handy to connect up a couple of test wires like this, so I could check the polarity through the soldering process (LEDs only work one way round).

All you need to do is solder the correct leg of each LED to the right bit of the switch, and job done. You bend the legs roughly into the right shape before soldering, and the fine tune the LED position afterwards.

It takes a while for the metal parts of the switch to get hot enough for the solder to melt, and only a short while longer for the plastic switch body to melt! So you have to be very quick otherwise the whole switch will soften and distort, in which case it's useless. But assuming you solder in time, this is the end result. (You can also see where I've caught the switch body with the soldering iron... :oops: )

Or, if this seems like too much work, you could either get a life, or look out for some XM switches which I believe are illuminated on the high spec version.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Re: Illuminated Window Switches

Post by Vanny »

XM switches are indeed illuminated if you find the correct model, and i seem to recall the top of the range 405 also has them. They are glass bulbs in a little holder.

Might have to try it this weekend, thanks Mat.
Mickey taker
Over 2k

Post by Mickey taker »

wow , that looks great :D
1991 BX Meteor 1.6

light travels faster than sound, thats why you look intelligent and then you spoil it all by opening your mouth !!!!!
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

hmmm, I like this lots.. if only I could find my soldering iron..
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
smiffy1071
pies are evil!

Post by smiffy1071 »

Vanny wrote:XM switches are indeed illuminated if you find the correct model, and i seem to recall the top of the range 405 also has them. They are glass bulbs in a little holder.

Might have to try it this weekend, thanks Mat.
Vanny, if you do get to play with your window switches this weekend, can you while you are at it send me the details of where to attach that extra wire for the passenger side one touch window? Cheers old chap!
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Mickey taker wrote:wow , that looks great :D
You should try it yourself Mick! I expect to see illuminated switches next time we meet...

1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Mickey taker
Over 2k

Post by Mickey taker »

I would probably melt the whole switch body with my soldering skills lol
1991 BX Meteor 1.6

light travels faster than sound, thats why you look intelligent and then you spoil it all by opening your mouth !!!!!
Vanny
Merseyside resident
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

Mat, did you bother with a protection diode? What size/rating did you use?
Vanny
Merseyside resident
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

I see your basic illuminated window switch, and I raise you an illuminated auto window switch.

Based on the original XM switch (with a blown bulb);

Vanny
Merseyside resident
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

smiffy1071 wrote: Vanny, if you do get to play with your window switches this weekend, can you while you are at it send me the details of where to attach that extra wire for the passenger side one touch window?
Smiffy, as I've told you many times in the past, its not a case of just connecting one extra wire. You have to re arrange the existing wires as well. I've tried drawing it out for you tonight, but to be honest, its not that straight forward and I can't easily give you instruction.

If you can interpret the wiring diagram, then its pretty straight forward, you need to put the second switch in parallel with the first, and use the power supplied to the drives door to drive the relay in the passenger door.

If you reuse the three existing wires, and the supply from the driver side, then you only need one additional wire from one side to the other. IE the four wires to trigger each mode (up, down, auto up, auto down).
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

No protection diode, as they'll never see a reverse voltage. Unless the wiring for the auto switch means that the supply voltage could be reversed?

1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Vanny
Merseyside resident
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

No, its a dedicated supply with fixed polarity (there is a link on the BXP for a schematic of the switch), but i know what i'm like. Also, have you seen how much mess connecting up a fully charged battery back to front does?

I should probably add, for the benefit of others, absolutley no soldering was required to fit these LED's and the LED's that i used where from Maplin;

http://www.maplin.co.uk/12v-3mm-leds-35738" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Yes, I've (unsuccessfully!) tried to jump start a car by connecting to the wrong terminals, annoyingly whilst running late for a funeral. Had to replace the alternator, and all the dashboard gauges apart from the speedometer.

Back OT, I did the one touch switch at the same time although it was a bugger to wire up the LEDs in a standard BX switch without the metal pressing the XM one has. Took me about two hours and used lots of JB Weld! Also had to wire in feed and earth wires from the passenger door switch to get it to work OK.

1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Vanny
Merseyside resident
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

oooh alien eyes

Problem is, now that i've made green eyes, i realise all the interior lighting in the car is red, so i'm gonna have to change. And i guess i need to be on the look out for some more XM switches.
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

it would be even cooler if you could make the rocker switch light up too!
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...