WEBER 32-34 DRTC/100 A23D solenoids

BX Tech talk
(CZ)enda
Confirmed BX'er

WEBER 32-34 DRTC/100 A23D solenoids

Post by (CZ)enda »

The above mentioned carb is fitted with solenoid on its uppermost part. Unfortunately, it is not mentioned in Haynes, although it is visible (partially) on one photo there.
This is not idle cut-off solenoid used to cut-off fuel delivery after the ignition is switched off (which is supposed to be located in the lower part of the body, it is missing on my carb and replaced with a bolt).
The body of the solenoid in question is about 2.5 cm in diameter and about 4 cm in length. After I removed the upper part of the carb, I found out that the channel leading to its plunger communicates with the float chamber.
The default position of the plunger is "open" (when not energized) and, in this position, the plunger allows for the float chamber venting to the open port just below the solenoid.
What confuses me is that the chamber venting is provided for by an opening on the opposite side, therefore the solenoid seems useless for this purpose.
I am at my wits end here, could someone shed some light on this, pls?
Thanks.
(CZ)enda
Confirmed BX'er

Post by (CZ)enda »

The solenoid is visible here, at about 2 o-clock position.
http://mkuli.club.fr/meca/ima/carburateur_s.jpg
(CZ)enda
Confirmed BX'er

Post by (CZ)enda »

...and here,
http://www.citroclubchile.cl/foros/show ... eadid=2277,
but my carb does not have the branching before the solenoid, nor the gizmo at 1 o-clock... but the very same gizmo was fitted to my old 36 TLP :shock:
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

Last night I was looking at the wiring diagrams for MK1 cars for a slightly different purpose and I found a reference to 'a float chamber electric ventilation' unit. Could this be the unit you have? This was in fact on the small diagram for the 16 auto.

jeremy
(CZ)enda
Confirmed BX'er

Post by (CZ)enda »

The plot thickens.
I located the position identified, but I am not any wiser :shock:
Anyway, the development is this: According to a a member of the local forum, who is fighting with DMTR right now as well, the float chamber and cut-off solenoids are connected to the same (+) branch.
Default position of the cut-off is closed, float chamber venting open.
This would mean that at the moment one switches the ignition off, the cut-off valve closes (so far, so good) and the float chamber venting opens.
Why :?:
Possibly to prevent float chamber from being flooded by sudden surge of the fuel? Should not this be controlled by the needle valve?