BX Club at the NEC - Stand discussion

Anything about BXs
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Re: BX Club at the NEC - we have a stand!

Post by Tim Leech »

If the cars are on axle stands etc we wont be allowed to have people sit in them I expect.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
mike22861
BXpert

Post by mike22861 »

Can't say I'm overwhelmed at the thought of people sitting in the cars.
1992 BX 4x4 Gti aircon Silver
1991 BX 19 TGD Red(the Red Baron)
1993 BX 17 TZD Red the new Daily
1986 BX 16 RS Leader (The only 1 left I believe)
2003 Landrover Defender 110 CSW TD5
1985 Landrover Defender 90 4SC County
some other newer Nissans
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

I'm not going to insist on it Mike and I don't think we should allow it for a car on stands. If, like Tim, people are happy to allow a supervised sit, then fair enough. We're not going to win fans by acting too stand-offish with folk though. On the 2CV stand last year, I bet out of the thousands of visitors to the show, only a handful sat in the 2CVs. We didn't advertise it as a service but if someone was interested and asked, we let them (with the owner's permission).

Bonnets is the other thing. It can draw people in, but I don't like to see all the bonnets open as it ruins photos.

Another thing we'll need is furniture. I've got a couple of camping chairs and a table, but it's a bit scruffy.
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

I would of thought nowadays if you start propping cars on stands at public motor shows you would need to do an individual risk assesment for that job alone along with certificates for the stands / lifting equipment etc. Discreet wooden blocks may be a different case.
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Given the heath robinson state of some of the stands (the Moggy Minor lot built a small village one year!) I don't think people much care. I do agree though that some discreet blocks are probably the best answer. We just want to stop one car sinking too much.

Forgot to mention another thing. Batteries need to be disconnected. Shouldn't be an issue for BXs I guess? Don't know what you do if you've got a P38 Range Rover as they go loopy if they lose power!
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

I did have a couple of camping chairs but the last two BX's outings saw those off, we have the gazebo of course which may be a bit big! A folding table (wallpapering one) is useful, im sure between us we can rustle something up.

Most importanly is the tea "kitty" of course as we wont have any "brewing" facilities, which is a shame as Sandre is awesome with a kettle!

Vanny has left me his Citroen bunting which im sure will come in use, does anyone have any traffic cones/signs. At work we have a flad pole we can use but need a suitable flag for it!

Im waiting the cost of a 3m eather flag from my local signwriiters aswell as the banners.
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

We're not going to need a gazebo. It's indoors! Tea is an issue. I'd consider an electric hook-up but it's hellishly expensive.

I'm still awaiting donations from some people which will hopefully give us a tea kitty for the weekend. The other thing is food. I'd bring your own to save costs, and soft drinks.
Caffiend
Reluctant BXpert

Post by Caffiend »

Trangia is smokeless so can be used indoors/in cars, and finally started working at full efficiency on Monday at ICCCR ... shoulda primed it better :oops: Might need to borrow a bigger kettle though, mine only does 3 cups at once.

Also, I have access to A4 and A3 laminating as long as it's not ludicrous amounts that are difficult to smuggle out of the office.
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe
1991 TZD hatch (Triton Green)
1992 Hurricane
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

I suspect the trangia will still be banned as it's a naked flame really. They're not going to like it.
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Caffiend wrote:finally started working at full efficiency on Monday at ICCCR
Was that not down to the high quality meths then?

As a backup plan, how about befriending a nearby stand with hookup, and offering a few quid for the use of their kettle/electricity supply?

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Caffiend
Reluctant BXpert

Post by Caffiend »

The high-quality meths was in use from Sunday Mat, but think I will get the purple stuff next time rather than white. It goes better with the green bottle, obviously.

Ian, might get away with it in a quiet corner of the car park (out of sight of CCTV cameras, obv) and deliver refreshments from there? ~whistle - it's not like it's that heavy to cart around!
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe
1991 TZD hatch (Triton Green)
1992 Hurricane
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

I think Mat's plan might be best. CCC might well have electricity. 2CVGB don't tend to bother. I presume Nigel will be looking after the CCC's interests and I need to speak to him anyway, so I'll ask him.
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Dollywobbler wrote:I think Mat's plan might be best. CCC might well have electricity. 2CVGB don't tend to bother. I presume Nigel will be looking after the CCC's interests and I need to speak to him anyway, so I'll ask him.

They normally do, and as a board member I will commondere some electricity on the grounds of interclub relations!
mike22861
BXpert

Post by mike22861 »

Are we having a Theme ? Tim are you going to do a BX sales pitch type thing do you want me to do a powerpoint type techy thing about the suspension and anything else you want to point out how about some cutaways to print and poster
1992 BX 4x4 Gti aircon Silver
1991 BX 19 TGD Red(the Red Baron)
1993 BX 17 TZD Red the new Daily
1986 BX 16 RS Leader (The only 1 left I believe)
2003 Landrover Defender 110 CSW TD5
1985 Landrover Defender 90 4SC County
some other newer Nissans
Birotor
BXpert

Post by Birotor »

I'll borrow my daughter's car booting pasting table.... Catering paper "table cloth" with clips looks ok!
NOT a problem for me but I certainly did not disconnect the battery on either my GS1220 rally car OR the Birotor on CCC stands in the past!
1974 GS Birotor, 1972 GS 1220 FIA Gp 2, 1992 BX 16 TGS, 1951 Velo-Solex, 1953 NSU Max 250, 1972 Honda ST50, Daughter has 1990 BX14 TGE
Previously owned include 1983 BX14RE Leader, Porsche 924, 1972 Porsche 911T, 1973 Porsche Carrera RS 2.7 (FIA Group 4), 1974 Porsche Carrera RS 3.0 (FIA Group 4 ex Le Mans), 1969 911 T/R (FIA Group 3 ex Le Mans), 1981 Porsche Group B 3.3 litre World Endurance Championship, 1991 Footwork Arrows Porsche Formula 1 (ex Alboreto & Caffi),