Team Green Tiger - BX19TGD - Back on the road

Tell us about life with your BX, or indeed life in general!
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Re: Team Green Tiger - BX19TGD

Post by Tim Leech »

Dollywobbler wrote:Cool. That'd be handy.

They are the thinner solid wheels, ones silver, ones been tin sprayed black but if you need are fine and the tyres are serviceable.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Removed the towing electrics this afternoon, in preparation for the welding next week. Bit worried that hammering an 8mm socket onto the back of the plug was enough to cause a small piece of rear crossmember to fall off! One less bolt holding the bumper in place...

I've booked some ramp time with a friendly garage to tackle the tow bar. I just hope that removing that doesn't cause the entire back end to fall off, though it's not far from there to the chap who's doing the welding...

I also swapped the cracked indicator lens for what I thought was a better one. Turns out both spare indicators that I have are blighted by broken rear clips, so it looks better, but the lens wobbles about.
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Oh dear. The ol' girl isn't happy. Too many traffic jams over the weekend. The clutch is now either on or off! Try slipping it and it all gets very juddery. And heavy.

I've had to postpone the welding work too, as work has rather got in the way - though this at least means I should be able to pay for the work once it eventually happens.

A plan is formulating between me and Mr M Fenwick to whip the engine out now and give it a proper sorting out. Cambelt including tensioner and water pump, replacing any leaking gaskets, new clutch and probably new engine mounts too. A lot of work to be done, but it really is not driving very well at the moment.
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Daft question but how olds the cable?
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Bloody ancient I suspect. The bite isn't very strong though, so it's not just that. I suspect an iffy cable and a worn clutch are working together to make a stiff pedal. The throttle is still too, so might put a pair of new cables on it. It isn't slipping yet, but it is seriously unpleasant.

I've just checked the history, and I can find no record of a clutch change. There was a comment at 99k miles that the clutch was nearing the end of its adjustment, but then I think a gear linkage was changed not long after and maybe that was causing the cruddy gearchange. I would have been surprised if the original clutch has lasted until 190,000 miles - especially as the previous owner used it for towing a caravan! He paid £127 for a towbar to be fitted in 1994.
messerschmitt owner
BXpert

Post by messerschmitt owner »

I sold d328pus at 186000 miles. It was on its first clutch and I'd towed all over with it. Everything from bubblecars to jag xk150 and caravans. Perhaps ten thousand miles were done with a trailer behind. And it was just a 17rd.
Citroen XM 2.1TD SX hatchback
Citroen XM 2.1TD VSX estate
Smart Roadster
Fiat Punto Cabriolet
Messerschmitt Kr200
Bond minicar mk C
Fiat 126 Bis
BX-less at the moment!
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

A new clutch fitted to the 19TZD transformed the way it drove, money well spent.
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Is it worth replacing the pivot bush as well? The Mk1's clutch is amazingly light compared to the Mk2, so I'm keen to reduce the pedal effort needed.

Might also have to have a look at the rear brakes as they're sounding rough. Never rains...
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

I seem to remember you may be missing a dirt shield! So it could be a stone trapped, or perhaps the pads have worn down. If you could check beforehand at least there'll be more chance having everything we need.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

I'll have a gander when I get a moment. It is still missing a dirt shield but it sounds like right rear. The discs aren't in great shape at the back.

I need to stop listing how much this thing needs!
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Sod. Just investigated the noisy rear brakes and it's due to horribly rusted discs. Pulled the pads out so I could attempt to clean them and the discs up and one of the pads fell apart. The list of things that actually work is reducing by the minute.

Looking at funds, I'm not sure I can afford the welding AND all the other stuff it needs. When BXs are so cheap to buy, I can't really see the point on persevering with something that is quite so knackered. I reckon the welding will be c£400, and it needs more after that (sills - just found a new hole in the RH one!, under washer bottle). I've got the cambelt kit, but it still needs a clutch and many seals, probably an engine mounting or two and anything else we find.

Now stuck with an undriveable car. Gah.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Shame that TXD Turbo mentioned elsewhere isn't an estate ;)

Sorry to say, although the Green Tiger is a legend, if you end up having to spend what might turn out to be £600 plus on it, then you are right to have doubts...
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

To be honest, I wouldn't mind a return to a sunroof and map reading lights. I've always missed those! Is astonishing how much you can get in an estate though...

My biggest mistake was selling this car in the first place. 30,000 miles of utter neglect have left in dreadful mechanical condition. Plus, if I'd attended to the rot issues back then, it might be a lot more solid. Lesson learnt!
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Well, you have the Maverick for estate duties, and a trailer. The TXD for sale is a 1992 model, so I can see the temptation...

Any new car of that age may need something doing, so you have to balance up the known versus unknown. I guess it depends on whatever is likely to give you the most pleasure.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

It very much depends what sort of condition the body is in. No point in going from one rotten heap to another. I must admit though, the Maverick is looking like a luxury I can't afford to keep at the moment.