Dollywobbler's 17TXD Turbo - new home time

Tell us about life with your BX, or indeed life in general!
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Dollywobbler's 17TXD Turbo - new home time

Post by Dollywobbler »

Left home at just after 10am this morning and arrived in Nottingham 5 hours later to be greeted by this sight.

My new motor - a 1992 17TXD Turbo. My first BX that isn't either a 19 diesel or a 16-valve, and my fifth BX in total (taking me up to two in current ownership). 104,980 miles on the clock, some important stuff changed recently (clutch and cambelt), very clean condition but very poor paint on the front bumper, bonnet and silly pram handle. Gave it a check over and it's solid in most of the important places, though rot is starting to chew on the rear end a bit - something I plan to tackle sooner rather than later given how bad things can get! Sills, A posts (one repaired), B posts and C posts are all solid, as are the inner wheelarches - though the engine bay sides will need attending to.

The red light of doom came on as the bloke drove me to his house. Just a flicker, but reminding me that there's a leak from the regulator pipework. Sadly the chap had no LHM and foolishly, I hadn't brought any with me, even though this was a declared fault. Duh!

But, it was good enough for me at the money so payment and paperwork was sorted and I was off! I realised I hadn't tried the sunroof so within a few yards of the bloke's house, I tried to tilt it. Nothing. I then did something really silly and tried it the other way. It slid back merrily! It still wouldn't go the other way. DOH! I quickly pulled over, pulled down the flap and tried manually cranking it. Nothing. Tried the buttons again. Success! Right, leave the sunroof alone then!

Filled up with fuel (not used to be able to get £70 worth into a BX...) and got straight onto the M1. 70mph came up quickly - what a change! Sadly it was accompanied by a really bad vibration through the wheel. I suspect a wheel balance issue as those lovely alloys have no centre hole, and most places can't be bothered to fit the adapter necessary to balance them. Being sporting, I could say that perhaps a weight had fallen off.

After a couple of hours, I'd reached Newtown in Wales without problem. But then it started raining. How do people drive around with such useless wipers?! The blade was ancient and I'd have had better visibility if I waved an oily rag over the windscreen. I pinched the blade off the back to improve things. This is actually an improvement.

Needless to say, none of the petrol stations sold anything as useful as wiper blades. Grrrr!

The rain eased as I almost reached home, so I took a couple of pics.

It has some really bad clonks from the front end. A balljoint was an advisory last MOT (November) but I wonder if there's something else as there are all sorts of clonks and creaks. I've had pretty bad balljoints that didn't really make a sound. There is also some creaking from the back end, which we can be pretty sure is arm bearings. The ride is firm and a touch bouncy too, though I don't know if that's just because it has firmer spheres.

It drives really well otherwise, much better off-boost than I expected with a much more progressive power delivery than I recall from my Pug 306 DTurbo. I love the taller gearing too. I may be a convert...
Last edited by Dollywobbler on Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
messerschmitt owner
BXpert

Re: Dollywobbler's 17TXD Turbo

Post by messerschmitt owner »

looks good - want to sell the rubber mats?
Citroen XM 2.1TD SX hatchback
Citroen XM 2.1TD VSX estate
Smart Roadster
Fiat Punto Cabriolet
Messerschmitt Kr200
Bond minicar mk C
Fiat 126 Bis
BX-less at the moment!
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

I might want to sell quite a bit on this! Alloys and the splitter might be available...

The mats are Peugeot too.
Caffiend
Reluctant BXpert

Post by Caffiend »

I find that mine is OK with bumps, but not happy with potholes - maybe changing the wheels back to steels will help?

Sounds like a car that will be fixed without too much heart-string tugging and time! - hope you enjoy it even more when the niggles are fixed.
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe
1991 TZD hatch (Triton Green)
1992 Hurricane
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Nice!!
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Paul296
Over 2k
My Cars: Citroen BX 17 TZD Hurricane
Citroen BX 17 TGD

Post by Paul296 »

Yep, very nice - looks like a really solid purchase to me =D>
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

The wheels really suit that colour!
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Well, it's certainly more solid than my estate. The trick is going to be keeping it that way...

First jobs will be to get rid of the clonks. Hoping for some good weather tomorrow so I can investigate - though I could always turf the 2CV out of the garage...
Mickey taker
Over 2k

Post by Mickey taker »

you see the offer was there , you could have driven straight down to MK , swapped the alloys for some steelies and some dosh in a field full of lovely classic cars and still been home for tea :D
we had 130 cars at the transport day plus 90 odd motorbikes and scooters plus a dalek and the stig
1991 BX Meteor 1.6

light travels faster than sound, thats why you look intelligent and then you spoil it all by opening your mouth !!!!!
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

Looks more viable than the tiger - smart motor!
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Should be. I hope. One for the turbo folks - the turbo is quite whiney. I don't hear a whistle so much as a gentle whine, especially when it's spooling up. An oil change is on the priority list. Will go at least semi-synth I think.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Looking good, Ian. Should be ready for the next continental excursion which is starting to take form in my head.... 2014, so not imminent at all!
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Philip Chidlow wrote:Should be ready for the next continental excursion which is starting to take form in my head.... 2014
Do you really think Ian will have the same BX in 2014? ;)

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Ahh, fair point. A BX probably, but equally probably, not this one ;) But you never know...
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Someone said to me if the turbos whines it means its working!