Dollywobbler's 17TXD Turbo - new home time

Tell us about life with your BX, or indeed life in general!
messerschmitt owner
BXpert

Re: Dollywobbler's 17TXD Turbo

Post by messerschmitt owner »

Tim Leech wrote:Someone said to me if the turbos whines it means its working!
sounds like the staff at my work too!
Citroen XM 2.1TD SX hatchback
Citroen XM 2.1TD VSX estate
Smart Roadster
Fiat Punto Cabriolet
Messerschmitt Kr200
Bond minicar mk C
Fiat 126 Bis
BX-less at the moment!
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Cool. I won't worry about that then. Have had to nip out to do some of that tiresome work stuff today, so leapt into the Bluebird as it clonks much less than the BX. Nowhere near as nice to drive! Where's all of the torque?!
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Just been having a closer look at the front end. Haven't found any play in the balljoints, but there's a very definite clunk if I pull on the track rod, at the rack end. What needs replacing here?

Also discovered that BOTH strut return pipes are knackered, though only one pipe each side, and it's a different one each side. There's enough LHM spray on the passenger side to coat the inside of the tyre - another source of LHM loss and I suspect a rather larger one than the occasional drip from the regulator. Bother. I hate strut returns. You can't see what you're doing and I can never get that bloody clip to fasten.

On the plus side, the front discs and pads look fresh and this car starts beautifully. Front struts are creaky though.
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Ugh. Left hand strut return.

Out-of-focus right hand strut return.

RH brake pad imbalance. Sliders I guess, though I think the handbrake cable might also be a bit sticky.

No rot here though! RH below washer bottle.

There may be some camber issues...

Plenty to be getting on with. While I was at it, I pulled off the sill covers and squirted plenty of waxy anti-rust gunk about the place.

Have managed to get the screenwash pump working (loose connection) but not getting any screenwash. Not sure if it's pump or the spindle being blocked yet. Now has a rear wiper blade fitted. Forgot how annoying the rear wiper is on a hatch. Stupid design! Not quite as stupid as the faff necessary to change a wiper blade. I found it easier to remove the wiper arm. Stupid pram handle!
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Oppps those arm bearings are toasted!
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

It certainly explains the creaking from the rear! It'll be transformed after a bit of work.

Have now fitted the Volkswagen wiper relay but still haven't got the washer working yet.
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

I've missed a few things here.. Nissan Bluebird? Any pics? Glad you're staying with the BX underworld though with your new puchase Ian! Why are you getting rid of the splitter then?

The strut returns are simple with the right tool ( I cannot believe I wasted so much time in the past on what can be five minute job!):

Available from Do-a-Deal- Dave and other less reputable firms!

Todd

this yellow writing is really hard to read
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Ian the splitter will leave holes in the bumper when removed which will look pants, so if it were me I would leave it on (same about the wheels too, I think they look great).
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

My car, my rules. Bumper negotiations are already ongoing and the alloys MUST go.

Todd - we've got a tool similar to that, but I still couldn't get the clip on. Oh well. With both to do, maybe I'll crack it this time!
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Hmmm. That was a bit grumpy of me. Sorry!

Anyway. I've now got the screenwash working. Thankfully, shoving a big, straightened paperclip down the wiper spindle with vigour got it working again. I also put some rust converter around the sunroof edge. There is just a hint of orange on the front edge, where the roof skin is folded over. The switch still seems a bit temperamental. Anyone had any joy pulling one apart and cleaning the contacts?

For something a bit different, I fitted the door-open unit that I had in my box of random BX spares. Not wired in though - is there a plug hiding behind the centre of the dash somewhere or was the loom modified for those that had this fitted from new? Still looks better than a blank panel...

I also discovered that one of the handbrake cables is utterly stuffed. The plastic is rock hard and broken in several places and the handbrake just won't release that side. I put a plea out for a replacement, but I note that GSF sell new ones for all of £12.74, so I'll go that route I guess.
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

I did think you were getting a bit wound up, again your car of course, but without a splitter the row of holes it would look daft.
Last edited by Tim Leech on Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

Ian wrote
Todd - we've got a tool similar to that, but I still couldn't get the clip on.
'similar' probably isn't good enough! The return clips are made by 'Clic' and that is the tool for them - it really is easy with that thing.

It funny to have someone who actually wants shot of their splitter rather than trying to find one to fit!
Todd

this yellow writing is really hard to read
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

The plan is to change the bumper entirely, so the holes just aren't an issue. I thought taking it back to how it should be would be applauded. What controversy!

Anyway, here's some examples of the knackered paint.

The French really were hopeless at making metallic paint stick to plastic. See Renault Espace for more examples.

This caliper slider really wasn't keen on sliding. Knackered boots caused this. How do you get the boots out?! I may have a good, working caliper to try instead as an alternative.

Handbrake cable is utterly broken.

So, this is going to take longer to get back on the road than I expected. Oh well. All ensures I know exactly where I am with this thing when it's all sorted.
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

For something a bit different, I fitted the door-open unit that I had in my box of random BX spares. Not wired in though - is there a plug hiding behind the centre of the dash somewhere or was the loom modified for those that had this fitted from new? Still looks better than a blank panel...
You may be unlucky there :( . Unlike Timex, which seems to have several additional connectors dotted round the loom, my 14 TGE had no extraneous wires at all.
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
Mickey taker
Over 2k

Post by Mickey taker »

If I had known you could have swapped the bluebird for my meteor and saved yourself a lot of work lol
1991 BX Meteor 1.6

light travels faster than sound, thats why you look intelligent and then you spoil it all by opening your mouth !!!!!