Red Shed in thumpage

Anything about BXs
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Re: Red Shed in thumpage

Post by Philip Chidlow »

It shows - apparently - what a momentary lapse in 'situational awareness' can result in. We've all been caught out in the past I'm sure - and probably went away with little more than dented pride. But after all the work Tim and later Jorge put into the car (not to mention its status as a 'Challenge' car) it is a great shame indeed.
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
crb
BXpert
My Cars: BX 1.9D Meteor
Saab 9-3 1.9TD Estate

Post by crb »

That's a real shame to see such a lovely car in such a state.
Colin - Returning to BX's for the challenge.

BX19 TGD Meteor 1991
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

It wont get scrapped, thats for sure, I wont let it, im happy to donate, time, parts (ive got lamps and a bumper) and know how to get it mended. George is a bit quiet at the moment but I am sure he will be online soon.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
RxBX
Over 2k

Post by RxBX »

Hi Gorge
I hope its only your pride and joy that's been damaged and nobody got injured !
Tim Leech wrote:It wont get scrapped, thats for sure, I wont let it, im happy to donate, time, parts (ive got lamps and a bumper) and know how to get it mended. George is a bit quiet at the moment but I am sure he will be online soon.
Hi Tim,
As per, dialogue I found the 'Imperial Crash-Repairs' bits which will more than likely be needed :-
N/S Headlamp panel £11.40
O/S Headlamp panel £11.40
Bonnet Slam-panel £35.40
Front Bumper Carrier £35.40
Front Cross-member £47.40

The above parts total come to £141 which can all be found thru' THIS E-bay link !
I've also gone to their home site and note that there's quite a disparity on their prices for the same parts outside of E-Bay i.e. :-Front cross member via E-Bay £47.40, direct thro' them £86.04 :shock:

However there are two items which may be needed which aren't on their E-Bay listings but which are available on their direct website listing's, 'N/S and O/S Headlamp Panel Side Braces' which are £12.82 each which will push the total up for the basic 'Under Skin Panel' costs up to £166.64 and then the cost of the Radiator which is most likely fubared !

Here's the link to IMPERIAL CRASH-REPAIRS website for BX-bits, at least the parts are available to make a good/acceptable repair to bring it back to its former glory !

Note to George, but please don't replace those Hella spots when rebuilding it (It would have been cheaper/easier to remove them without smashing them off) :lol:

Also IMHO it would look mucho nicer without all the challenge stickers too, now that event has passed !

Good luck with the recovery and repair of your ^^bx>

Last edited by RxBX on Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Caffiend
Reluctant BXpert

Post by Caffiend »

=D> - that's looking a lot more hopeful!
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe
1991 TZD hatch (Triton Green)
1992 Hurricane
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Pffft. I really liked it with the stickers and it's his ride, so his choice.

Will be thrilled if this can be saved. George has been at the Goodwood Revival hence probably not online.
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

George has a bonnet and a bumper from me already, apparently "its worse than it looks", and will be landing back via trailer to his place on Tuesday, thankfully his brothers a mechanic and they both wirk at a garage so im sure it will be mended.
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

To be fair, it does look like more than a bonnet-and-headlamp job. The front panel must be pretty mangled. Guess it's down to what the inner wings are like...
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

True, fingers crossed!
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

Noone was hurt, its all part of our motoring career and inexperience, been there, done it!
I did it to an Ami 8 Estate :oops: :cry:

I'd be amazed if the inner wings aren't bent, but so long as all the damage is forward of the strut mounts it should be fixable.
Also IMHO it would look mucho nicer without all the challenge stickers too, now that event has passed !
I think the stickers plus white wheels look OK - not what I'd have done but each to their own!
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Im not a fan of the wheels but the sticker make it special, as it was a "head on" hit it has evened the damage out, if anyone has a pair of red front wings then please raise your hand!
electrokid
1K Away

Post by electrokid »

if anyone has a pair of red front wings
Does it need them ? Looking at it I felt quite hopefull - there's a big push in the middle, sure - but the leading corners of the wings look in reasonable shape - the mounts at the rear of the front bumper have obviously sheared. Hopefully fixable.
1992 BX19 TGD estate 228K Rusty - SORNed
2002 C5 HDi SX estate
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Red Shed should be back today, good news is that as George has opted to repair the car himself (he was fully comp), and avoids having them inspect it and of course argue about the stickers and wheels etc! Plus of course they will write it off. It was a 3 car accident, a Volvo pulled up quickly, the Saxo did the same just missing the Volvo and George shunted the Saxo into the back of the Volvo which sustained no damage. The Saxo driver admitted the Volvo stopped rather too abruptly but it seems a lapse of concentration means the BX didnt stop in time.

The Saxo is most probably a write off, but as George isnt claming for the repairs to his car tesco's wont be after him for his excess which is a whopping £650! but of course he will have to fund the repairs himself to the BX. So far he has a bonnet, bumper, grille and lamps, I have a brand new radiator which he can have for cost but until the car arrives back and strip down commences its sunsure if it needs one (I imagine it should).

Thankfully my folks caravan is about 9 miles from Georges house so I will send the lamps and radiator with them on Thursday and he can pick up on Friday/
Last edited by Tim Leech on Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

I fear for his next renewal though as the Saxo owner is no doubt claiming for the loss of their car and, given what folk are like these days, bloody whiplash too (whether they actually have it or not).
frog
BXpert

Post by frog »

Very sorry sight, glad all are okay though. All that crumpling would be why the injuries are minimal.
Last edited by frog on Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1989 Citroën BX 16v
1993 Citroën BX 16v project