Dollywobbler's 17TXD Turbo - new home time

Tell us about life with your BX, or indeed life in general!
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Re: Dollywobbler's 17TXD Turbo

Post by Dollywobbler »

As more and more issues surface, I'm more and more inclined to take this car off the road for a bit. The Bluebird and TXD require tax at the end of the month, and I can't afford both. I've got the Bluey up for sale, but actually, it probably makes more sense to keep it as it actually works! Strut return pipes should arrive today, so that means I can get the TXD moving again at least, but it's going to need brake attention before it can really be used.

Of course, the Green Tiger has a recon caliper on it, so my plan was to pinch that today and put whatever I've got lying around on the Tiger so it can still be driven. However, it's pouring with rain and I can't get the Tiger into the garage as there's a broken TXD in there. Complications! The caliper on the TXD does seem to work, but I'm having real trouble with the slider boots. I still can't get them off.
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

I think they're glued in place. Copper grease will suffice for a reasonable amount of time, as even when the grease dries out the copper particles help prevent sticking.

And what's wrong with working in the rain - your skin is waterproof isn't it? Wimp! ;)

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Yes but my beard will end up saturated. Not good.
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

:lol: Fair point! Not a bad day up here ATM, although we haven't had a dry day since the 7th.

1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Oooh, it's sunny now!
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

You'd best stop wasting time on the Internet then!

1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

mat_fenwick wrote:I think they're glued in place.
I've heard this before but don't think they are. They are just pushed into a recess and then held in place by the piston, however I think the heat over the years helps them to become one with the caliper, piece and love and all that! :)
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

That sounds likely Kevan. Anyway, with the arrival of actual nice weather, I got the job done. Nice shiny caliper now in place on the TXD and with copious amounts of copper grease, the one on the Green Tiger is actually working for the time being...

The only issue was the bleed nipple on the older caliper, but having checked out Mulley's Magnificent Nipple Technique, it wasn't a problem for long. 8mm was rounding instantly so I hammered on a 7mm spanner and sprayed copious amounts of penetrating oil around the nipple. Then I pulled on the spanner while smacking the spanner head with a hammer (head not the spanner arm as that tends to just break tools). Oooh, a hint of movement! I tried again, then tightened it again, then loosened, tightened, loosened, more oil, tightened and eventually got a full turn on it. Lovely! With the 7mm spanner still on the nipple, I refitted the caliper, bled her up and tapped the hammer off. Should be possible to replace that nipple now if required at a later date.

This all means that the Green Tiger has now officially become a parts donor. Bit sad, but here's to the TXD!

Now awaiting a delivery of other bits (strut returns and handbrake cable being most urgent) so I can get behind the wheel again.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Farewell Green Tiger. The legend will live on...

• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Good times! Given that most 'banger rally' cars get dumped as soon as the folks get home, the ol' Green Tiger hasn't done badly. She still drives!
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Aww can someone not save her?
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

I did feel quite bad driving her up the driveway today just so I could remove bits. She doesn't feel horribly rusty when you're driving her! I did remind myself of the nasty rot lurking in the windscreen surround today though...
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Anyway, back to the TXD. I've now removed the self-cancelling indicator collar, which will please me no end. I hate self-cancelling indicators. I've also removed the old return pipes but the new ones still haven't arrived. They are due here today...

Quick question. What spheres should be fitted? The front spheres are about three years old apparently but the ride was quite firm, with a distinct bounce at the rear, so I suspect a sphere refresh is in order. Given the choice, I'd opt for comfort spheres but I was just curious as to what it would have had when new.
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

Aww can someone not save her?
and
I did feel quite bad driving her up the driveway today just so I could remove bits. She doesn't feel horribly rusty when you're driving her! I did remind myself of the nasty rot lurking in the windscreen surround today though...
Unfortunately, once cars start to go like this, it's an expensive business to sort out - you either have to give someone else lots of money to put it right, or invest lots of money in the kit needed to do it yourself. Between my welders, various hammers, shears and other hand tools, a sheet metal folder, a guillotene and a swager, I've probably spent around a grand on kit over the last 16 years or so, not to mention at least the same on consumables. I've only managed to do this by spreading the cost over several years (and projects). Unless you're really determined to save a particular car (or it's particularly rare), it's a sad fact that, for the moment at least, it's cheaper and easier to track down a replacement vehicle than it is to repair a rusty one.
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Indeed Mike. I kept falling in love with the romantic notion of saving her, but it's just not realistic. We've had a lot of fun together, been to many countries and done some amazing things but the TXD is a much better 'salvation' option.

The main thing is that rather than just be baled, she'll hopefully keep many other BXs going.