Replacement swivel joint boots

Anything about BXs
Jaba
1K Away
My Cars: BX GTi, C3 Auto

Replacement swivel joint boots

Post by Jaba »

Having had a succession of steering swivel ball joint failures after about 12 months use I now have 3 good joints needing new boots.
Before I just throw them away though has anyone any experience of the boots on eBay sale here : http://tinyurl.com/cukvnsl" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I am minded to give them a try but do you know better ???
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.
barry badger
BXpert

Re: Replacement swivel joint boots

Post by barry badger »

I wouldn't bother they will probably rot after one winter, I use good joints, Delphi or First line, they have a very good life span.
1993 tzd estate, on sorn
1992 tzd estate, slowly being raided for parts
1992 txd estate, "doom blue" on the road
1991 4x4 estate, on sorn
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

I just picked up a First Line joint for £7 - it's hardly worth fitting a new boot to an old joint when they're that price
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

That is of course assuming the low priced joints last longer than the boots! Personally I haven't had any long term experience of either makes in terms of ball joints but FL CV boots seem to last OK. (As an aside, Delphi pads were the only brake pads I've renewed before they wore out as they were so terrible!)

I think whether it's worth renewing a joint rubber boot depends on the quality of the joint in the first place, and also how quickly you notice the failure. Probably little point in renewing if the joint is full of road dirt...

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
barry badger
BXpert

Post by barry badger »

That's interesting about the brake pads. What problem did you have with them? I must have used in excess of 5oo sets of delphi pads in the last two years with no returns, I swear by them. I have recently started using pagid, i have probably fitted about twenty sets but have had two back for squealing so will probably go back to using delphi.
1993 tzd estate, on sorn
1991 4x4 estate, on sorn
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Much smaller sample (one!) than yours but I fitted a set to the Discovery a couple of years back. Actual stopping power was fine, but their tendency to fade was frightening! Even when not towing, a single descent of the hill leading to our house was enough that they would be fading.

It's possible it was a bad batch, or even that they were fake Delphi parts; but I fitted EBC Green pads and now have slightly better stopping power and no problems with fade to date.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
barry badger
BXpert

Post by barry badger »

Actually what made me try pagid lately was the rep came to see me and he had graphs with him demonstrating delphis poor performance compared to pagid. My tzd that is off the road waiting for an engine had terrible brake fade when driven enthusiastically i'm now wondering what make of brakes i fitted to it at the time?
1993 tzd estate, on sorn
1991 4x4 estate, on sorn
KevR
1K Away
My Cars: It's all in my signature

Post by KevR »

Currently using genuine Cit discs and pads, and they squeal worse than anything I've used in recent years!
1990 BX TZD Estate ('the grey one', 1991 BX TZD Estate ('the white one'), 1982 2CV6 Charleston (in bits), 1972 AZU Serie B (2CV van), 1974 HY72 Camper, 1990 Land Rover 110 diesel LWB, 1957 Mobylette AV76, 1992 Ducati 400SS, 1966 VW Beetle, 1990 Mazda MX-5, 1996 Peugeot 106D, 1974 JCB 2D MkII, 1997 BMW R1100RS, 1987 Suzuki GSX-R1100, 1978 Honda CX500A, 1965 Motobecane Cady, 1988 Honda Bros/Africa Twin, 1963 Massey Ferguson 825, and a lot of bicycles!
Jaba
1K Away
My Cars: BX GTi, C3 Auto

Post by Jaba »

barry badger wrote:I wouldn't bother they will probably rot after one winter, I use good joints, Delphi or First line, they have a very good life span.
Well, I only use good ones now, First Line or QH, experience is a good thing to have but is only learnt as a result of making mistakes. Its easy to get locked into using a 'favourite' make but there must be other reliable brands worth using.
The bad joints all have a sort of star shaped 3 arm emblem in a triangle on them. The actual joints seem fine its just the gaiters which crack open.

So , to repeat has anyone tried these and have any 'experience' to offer as I want to try rebooting them as mentioned in my OP.

As for brake pads, a highjacking has taken place, not the first time, so I will join in. I don't care what make I get. I don't buy on eBay only from a local factor, AES, GSF or Malcolm Lockwood. I am sure I could make any of them fade if I really tried but they all seem to last about the same length of time, the worse the condition of the disks the quicker they wear down. So they get changed about once a year before they wear right down on the GTi and when they really need it on the others.

There is a stretch of road near here I used to use regularly in my first GTi, with a succession of roundabouts before I had to turn right off of the road. When I thrashed the car and accelerated up to 70 or 80 between roundabouts and then braked hard I often noticed smoke and smell wafting up from the front disks while I waited to turn right and there was bad fading when they were that hot too always.
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.