Ignition Barrel is buggered (I think!)

BX Tech talk
jeff.glanrhyd

Ignition Barrel is buggered (I think!)

Post by jeff.glanrhyd »

I have had my '89 BX for 8 months. I think the barrel ignition is buggered - the key just spins in the lock!
All the warning lights remain on.
I know naff all about car mechanics, but want to keep this great car on the road for as many years as possible.
Would be grateful for a little advice on where the best place is to order a replacement?
Many thanks.
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

Try GSF or Euro car parts - google search will reveal their web sites- they each have many branches and also on-line shops.

Also search this site - there is a recent thread about the problems encountered during replacement.

jeremy
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

GSF would probably be your best bet for a new ignition lock, however if you're happy to settle for a second hand one, I'm sure one could be obtained from the membership.

Does your car have ABS?
richard
BXpert

Post by richard »

Same happened on mine a few years back. I got a new full lock kit with new keys, ignition switch, door locks etc for around £50. I got it from AEP (0141 647 0800) in Glasgow. They do mail order. Not sure if Euro Car Parts or GSF sell this part.

On another BX i had the key actually broke inside the ignition switch!!!
AlanS
BXpert

Post by AlanS »

I reckon that these ignition/steering locks are a bit of a weak point on these cars possibly more so if they're being used as a short tripper/around towner, in particular the 16Vs.
On mine there has been installed a push button on the shroud of the steering column which I've found handy to do things like compression tests etc and also means that the part of useage where most strain mechanically and electrically is exerted on the switch normally (ie - when using the starter) is totally eliminated. This way, if the starter part buggers up, it only takes A$1.95 and 5 minutes work to do a replacement.
The actual ignition switch becomes just an on/off for the ignition and a steering lock and takes all the starter load right off the switch.

Alan S :wink:
By the time you're old enough to know it all, you can't remember why you were learning.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

I've fitted a starter button too, avoiding the occasional stubborn inhibitor switch on the auto box. Should use it more - just forget! (Because as soon as it was fitted the inhibitor has acted faultlessly!)
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
M

Post by M »

AlanS wrote: On mine there has been installed a push button on the shroud of the steering column which I've found handy to do things like compression tests etc
Alan S :wink:
I have an old Ribble bus "Push Once" bell button in lovely chrome just aching to be used as a starter button.
Mr B
Northern Moderator
Northern Moderator

Post by Mr B »

[quote="Marty
I have an old Ribble bus "Push Once" bell button in lovely chrome just aching to be used as a starter button.[/quote]

Don't you dare :shock:
1991 Landrover Discovery
1995 VW Golf SE
M

Post by M »

Mr B wrote: Don't you dare :shock:
Will look Uber Kewl sat on the dash - big red button with its chrome "Push Once" surround.
Or I could wire it to the horn :twisted:
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

I have one freshly removed from a TGD (1.9 diesel) kicking about somewhere if it`s any use Jeff. Your`s for the postage if you want it, let me know if so but please be patient awaiting reply as my home p.c is knackered so can only log on at work.
Vauxhall apologist.
jeff.glanrhyd

Post by jeff.glanrhyd »

Bought a new barell today from GSF in Swansea £56 - going to have a go at fitting it now!
Thanks to all for replying.
Good this BXClub isn't it? :roll:
Barnsley BXer
1K Away

Post by Barnsley BXer »

Good?It's brilliant :D
1990 GTI 4x4
1992 TZD
Dear Drooper............................
M

Post by M »

jeff.glanrhyd wrote:Good this BXClub isn't it? :roll:
Now all you need to avoid further mechanical malladies is a BXClub window sticker for your car.... :twisted:
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

jeff.glanrhyd wrote:Bought a new barell today from GSF in Swansea £56 - going to have a go at fitting it now!
Thanks to all for replying.
Good this BXClub isn't it? :roll:
Sure if Jeff! BTW, dying to know are you the same Jeff I bought the spoiler off? Very pleased with it if you are and feedback has been duly left to that effect!
Vauxhall apologist.
m_2975
BXpert
My Cars: 1989 BX 19TRI Estate
1993 BX GTI
1997 Xantia CT Turbo

BX Lock

Post by m_2975 »

I just replaced my ignition lock in my TZI. I was driving along on a hghway one evening and all of a sudden the car cut out. I coasted over to the side of the road and gave it a start. NOTHING!! The car turned over perfectly and the engine started, but as soon as I let go of the key for it to fall back to the run position it cut out as if I turned the key off.
I cheched all of the usual suspects but everything was perfect. There was no real reason for anything wrong.

It was getting VERY dark and I was in the middle of nowhere.
Luckily I had bought a new genuine ignition lock the week before as having two keys, one for the ignition and one for the doors was driving me nuts!
It just happened to be in the boot. I pulled the centre console under the radio out to reveal the ignition switch connector and plugged the new one in. Turned the key and it started first go!!!

I left the new ignition lock on the passenger floor and put the old key in the old lock to disable the steering lock and drove off. I did that for a few days until I got around to changing the lock completely and doing the door barrels.

Once I had the switch out I tested it out with a multimeter. It turns out that the contacts for the fuel pump relay (which are directly from the ignition switch) were shot. All that happened was that the fuel pump cut out due to the dodgy contact!!!

What a lucky call that I thought of changing the lock!!!!

It's all good now and the new ignition lock is tight and the contacts are precise as they should be. I even have a nice looking key now with the chevrons imprinted in it.

Very Happy :lol: :lol:
My Cars:
'93 BX 19GTi Sedan 5M
'89 BX 19TRI Estate 5M
'89 AX GT(With EFI) 2door 5M
In the Family:
'74 SM IE (Fully Restored) 5M
'90 BX 19TRI122 Sedan 4A
'02 Xantia Exclusive Sedan 4AA
'06 C5 2.2HDi Estate 6A