AX wanted

Buy or sell parts etc. Please put 'Wanted' in the title if it is a request for parts.
sleepy0905
1K Away

AX wanted

Post by sleepy0905 »

This is Mrs Sleepy, I want an AX for free or as cheap as possible [-o< . Sleepy doesn't know I'm doing this 8-[
2017 Seat Leon ST FR 2.0 150Bhp
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

ha ha, Sleepy has as much control over his woman as i do! HA HA

Dont worry Mrs Sleepy, SWMBO wants an AX 1.5d in taheti green and 5door preferably a P-reg and the closer to free the better, not happening though and im still holding out to see if i can get her to by a C1 1.4HDi, very quick and tidy!

Will keep an eye out for one for you! PS try get a Mk2 (n-reg and later) as there MUCH quieter and you feel like your in a car and not a tin can!
sleepy0905
1K Away

Post by sleepy0905 »

OY what is the the cheeky sod as hijacked the computer and my postings while i was out thats it time to change the password . :roll: :shock:
Barnsley BXer
1K Away

Post by Barnsley BXer »

Craig of the CCC Northern section has a 1.5d for sale.I can get details if anybody is interested
1990 GTI 4x4
1992 TZD
Dear Drooper............................
sleepy0905
1K Away

Post by sleepy0905 »

find some more details then Mr Barnsley BX please it might keep er in doors happy. :D
Ian_Fearn
Spender lotta cash on Citroens

Post by Ian_Fearn »

My missus daughter has an AX Aaron. Its a 1.1i and although has needed rather a lot of work its now at a point where its really good.

Not for sale for another few months yet until the daughter goes off to uni.

Dean, if sleepy doesnt want that 1.5d AX of CCC membership drop me a line. I bought the last AX off Nigel Wild!
Over and out from me
Barnsley BXer
1K Away

Post by Barnsley BXer »

I've sent Craig an e-mail asking for details.I doubt if I'll have any info until I come in from work.The car is in that nice metallic green colour
1990 GTI 4x4
1992 TZD
Barnsley BXer
1K Away

Post by Barnsley BXer »

Sorry folks,just had an e-mail from Craig,car was sold last Wednesday
1990 GTI 4x4
1992 TZD
M

Re: AX wanted

Post by M »

sleepy0905 wrote:This is Mrs Sleepy, I want an AX for free or as cheap as possible [-o< . Sleepy doesn't know I'm doing this 8-[
For the love of Bob - WHY? :shock:
Its an AX? they are horrid horrid little cars I had a P plate diesel - engine good - rest of car bad, felt tinny, very low, uncomforatble on a long drive, pedals offset due to intruding wheel arch rattled squeaked and felt like I was wearing a tin overcoat. Thin seats - almost like a 2CV, but less comfortable.
Buy a ZX instead, or another BX... If you really want a small car consider (and I know Im going to get slated for this) a Fiesta or even a Ka. More comfortable, piece of wee wee to work on, cheap bits and a lot better screwed together boddily than an AX. Even better a late Pug 205 diesel - will run forever and be a much nicer drive.

I hated my AX (and Im a biased Citrophile who loves all things Citroen), in fact the day the MIL drove into it was a day of celebration.

For cheapies have a nose on fleebay - I have seen them go for as little as £40 on there with an MOT
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

Marty wrote: or even a Ka.
Oh dear bob, no.

They are AWFUL cars. I never ever ever want to work on one of them again. Or drive one. Or even see one.

A late 205 is a massively better car.
this might be a signature
M

Post by M »

DavidRutherford wrote:
Marty wrote: or even a Ka.
Oh dear bob, no.
They are AWFUL cars. I never ever ever want to work on one of them again. Or drive one. Or even see one.
I thought they were based on the Fiasco? A car so simple it has its own litte pointed hat with a D on it :twisted:
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

They are based on the fiasco.

But. Built for about £1.50

The engines are rough as nuts. Very lacking in performance, and get about 30-35mpg
The wiring looms break in the doors, meaning no electric windows, and failed central locking, which means you can't then lock the car.
Most of the electric switches will fail at some point or another.
The boot catch doesn't
The Aircon saps so much power from the engine that you have to turn it off to accelerate
The seats are awful
The whole car rattles at speed.

And this was all on a 3-year old car!

The car is cheap, but it also feels cheap. I'd rather drive a Cit AX or Pug 106 any day of the week.

Plus, there is a serious design fault. The sparkplugs rust into the head. Their service interval is 30k miles, and according to everyone I spoke to, there's about a 50% chance they will snap off in the head. Which is then a head-off job to fix.

Which is exactly what happened to me. Car was on 60-ish thousand, so I went to change the plugs, and sheared all 4 off, despite having soaked the threads in WD-40. I phoned my local engineering workshop to ask how much to remove some sheared off spark plugs in a cylinder head... his reply: "Ford KA is it?" :shock:

oh, and good luck getting to the oil filter. You need a triple-jointed arm.
ernst stavro blofeld
Confirmed BX'er

Post by ernst stavro blofeld »

Nonsense. Ka can be serviced easily in half an hour. Has an elderly engine brought up to date with modern injection and ignition. Yes, the tappets need doing every 30,000. So what? Thrashed, 42MPG, Day in, day out.
Ford spent a lot on press tools to learn how to construct better bodyshells. They succeeded. The Ka is strong and comfortable for a car of its size. The aircon is nearly as good as that on a BX and the tyre wear is minimal.
Few people who spent their own money on them have been disappointed and I shall buy another new one before they go out of production because they are the best small car on the road as well as being 2/3 of the price of a Yaris or Micra, neither of which can match it on performance. Hamfisted mechanics who bust the plugs there is no excuse for. Taper seat plugs have been around for more than 25 years. Slacken them every 10,000miles, when you do the rest of the servicing and it won't happen. Besides, it is a very easy head to pull off, Pushrods, see. It is made of iron, too so it won't need to be skimmed either.
M

Post by M »

I have to admit Im with you there Ernst... Whilst this thread is going so far off topic as to be going interstellar I have had the pushrod fraud engine in a Mk1, Mk2 and finally Mk3 fiasco. I servicd it every 5000 miles (Oil & filters) and changed the plugs & air fillter every 12000 miles - for what they cost. All three cars did well over 100K and only one needed a water pump.
Easy to work on - well yes if a mechanical numpty like me can do it! I cant really comment on the Ka as I have never driven one, only Fiascos (and if someone offers me a nice Mk2 XR2 I will be there like a shot)
I think any car will last if they are serviced and kept in check regularly - the problem is today "customers" want low maintainance cars - so the manufacturers increase the service intervals and lo - cars go pop. Look at the HDi engine - a timing belt interval of 100000 - you must be having a giraffe! I would be mad to leave it that long.
I cant honestly comment about the wear to the trim & toys as I have never had one, but the Fiascos I had all wore the milage well - except the crap keys/ locks.

Anyway - I stand by what I said earlier (before going off on one) forget an AX, get a Pug 205. Sleepy will thank you in the long run...

[/off topic rant]
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

The KA is strong... because it weighs so much... they are a massively heavy car for their size. The body is cheap, and it rattles. A lot.

The pushrod engine is massively out of date, quite why ford didn't fit the fiasco zetec engine from the start is a mystery.

The issue with the plugs is well known about and documented. I am not a "hamfisted mechanic" as you put it. For a local machine shop to me to know about the problem, and have seen dozens of heads with sheared off plugs indicates a problem to me. It's a good thing that the head is easy to remove considering this fault.

If you want a cheap car, then it's exactly that... cheap.