Dollywobbler's 17TXD Turbo - new home time

Tell us about life with your BX, or indeed life in general!
mat_fenwick

Re: Dollywobbler's 17TXD Turbo

Post by mat_fenwick »

£1.99 for 286 bulbs works out as only 0.7 pence each... :lol: :oops:

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Hmmm. This car is officially a pain. I gave up trying to get the intercooler off (sooo much plumbing!) and made do with just removing the seal and the breather thing clipped to the side of it. That gave just about enough access but then I discovered that you can't see the adjuster bolt and there's yet another pipe spoiling access. Ugh!

Got there in the end and the belt is now proper tight. Also made the most of one bonus over my NA - no fuel filter to get in the way of the LHM reservoir. So, unclipped it and pulled the filters out to have a look at them. They seem quite clean to be honest. However, after this, it refused to lift. In fact, I couldn't get any life out of the hydraulics at all. Clearly I'd allowed a bit of air in when I pulled the filters out. Eventually, tugging on the steering wheel and a couple of releases of the pressure release valve had it rising again but it took AGES. Took a couple of bursts of citrobics before it'd rise without 3000rpm! Seems ok now but the steering is still notchy. Do I try a different pump or do I go Hydraflush? Prace bets now!
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Lower balljoint now replaced. Car is transformed! Farmed the job out and got them to do oil and filter while it was on the ramp. There was a terrifying amount of play in the balljoint. I should check to see how many miles it had done since the MOT advisory last November...

Job slightly livened up by the garage forgetting to torque up the wheelnuts. I'd complain but I've managed that at least twice this year. I drove home with vigour but fortunately I know what loose wheelnuts sounds like and stopped to investigate (always nice to have a wheelbrace with you!). Checked my phone and the garage had tried calling me not long after I'd set off.

Sadly it looks like there's play developing in the other lower balljoint but it might get through the MOT as there's very little play.

This was my first chance to really explore the underside of the car. Rear crossmember is holed and crumbly in one corner, and soft in a few places but it's nothing compared to the Green Tiger. As soon as funds allow, I'll get that sorted. The front crossmember is a bit rusty as well so there's stuff to do.
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

There was a terrifying amount of play in the balljoint. I should check to see how many miles it had done since the MOT advisory last November...
Hmmm - I'd better crack on and change that one on Timex then - It only seems to clonk when I turn round up the road in the mornings, but silly to leave it too long.
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

Hydraflush is cheaper than a pump, so i'd try that 1st, you never know you might be lucky & it sorts it, if not then you've cleaned the system in preperation for your replacement pump, so win win i'd say :)
2002 C5 2.0 HDI Estate - Jasmine - Now SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - My daily
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired.
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

I'm not just a username, i'm also called Matthew.
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Dollywobbler wrote:By the way, can you still get good deals on LHM?
£17.85 + VAT for 5 litres; anybody else interested in some? I can bring to the NEC if needed.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
vnd
Confirmed BX'er

Post by vnd »

The pics of your interior make me very jealous dude.
Mine is coated in tar.
Heavy smokers should be made to clean up after themselves....
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

It is stunning inside - it came to me like that. I feel under so much pressure to keep it tidy!

Today I quickly fitted a new air and fuel filter, so it's gradually nudging its way to an entire service. I then set about replacing the tired window regulator in the driver's door. Someone had tried to 'fix' this by slapping a LOT of grease all over everything, which made the job even less joyous than usual. One day I'll discover the technique for easily getting the windows in and out of the door...

I whipped a door mirror off the Green Tiger too, as the one on the TXD has clearly taken a knock at some point and wobbles about at speed.

Then it rained a lot, which made me angry (I learnt that you can't raise the passenger window when the driver's door wiring is disconnected - a very hectic operation followed to allow me to close the windows!
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

All sorted. New window regulator works a treat. Had to pinch the little mirror arm cover thing from the GT as well.

Found out why the stereo sounds so tinny. It's got the most tiny and pathetic speakers fitted to the doors! They're hilariously bad and held in place with cable ties as they're not big enough for the aperture. Replacements are on their way but I could still do with a rear parcel shelf. I don't really want to cut up the one fitted at the moment. Annoyingly, I did have a spare BX parcel shelf a while back but I gave it away. Mistake!
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

The Green Tiger still works. Busy morning on the fleet.

Door stripping.

How the TXD is looking now the alloys have been removed.
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

Rear arm bearings need doing badly though Ian from the piccy. Do they creak bad?

Andy
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

Mothman wrote:Rear arm bearings need doing badly though Ian from the piccy. Do they creak bad?

Andy
Hard to tell fromthat picture, they do lean slightly even from new.

Looks great with those trims just the valve covers now :wink:
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

The arm bearings are absolutely f*cked! Next on the to do list. My plan is to pull the arms off here, then nip up to see Mr Fenwick for the fitment of new bearings. This is one of those jobs which makes you glad you have other vehicles available! I'd better get a shift on as the MOT is due in a few weeks...
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Ugh. Dashboard bulb replacement today. Horrible, fiddly job. Not picked up too many flesh wounds yet, but I'm just starting the re-assembly...

Had to replace the HRW switch too as the bulb had pretty much gone into meltdown. Thankfully I had a spare in a random box of bits, so I didn't have to get into swapping switch internals.

Nine bulbs replaced - thought it best to do all of the speedo ones while it was out! Heater panel bulbs also replaced.
Mickey taker
Over 2k

Post by Mickey taker »

Don't forget, I have a cut parcel shelf here for you Ian, its just the logistics of getting it to you or you picki.g it up .
1991 BX Meteor 1.6

light travels faster than sound, thats why you look intelligent and then you spoil it all by opening your mouth !!!!!