The scrapper

Anything about BXs
Mothman

The scrapper

Post by Mothman »

Decided to change the position of the scrapper today, took 3 of us to do it. Will make it much easier to remove the rest of the bits. Also, 3 bodges came to light, exhaust, fuel pipe and the same common hydraulic problem i had on the 16TGS.

AndyImage

Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Re: The scrapper

Post by Kitch »

Cable tie in place of a broken plastic clip and a short section of rubber in a fuel pipe are bodges now? :shock:
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

Yes bud,

i think they are, they work but still a bodge. Same as the hydraulic one we did at the w/end. :mrgreen:

Andy
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

There are good bodges as well as bad bodges!
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

I suppose its semantics too, when does a heavy shower become prolonged rain? You can both repair a bodge and bodge a repair.

As you say Ian, there can be some bad bodges and some damned good ones that last years. A garage in the early 90s down the west country way did a bodge, most definately a bodge that lasted the life of the BX and worked fine. Was told to get it fixed asap but the guy did such a craftsmanly job on it i hadnt the heart and the bit was expensive too!!

Andy
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

By definition (I looked it up), there isn't such a good thing as a good bodge, but there are degrees of bodging.

In the strictest sense, any repair that doesn't involve the total replacement of any worn or damaged item is a bodge, but so long as it results in a safe, legal repair it can be acceptable, if not always the preferred option.
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Why do I get the feeling that this thread will run and run...?
citsncycles wrote:there isn't such a good thing as a good bodge
How so? I haven't looked up any definition of it, but my understanding of the meaning was similar to yours, i.e. a repair made with whatever you have to hand at the time - functional if not pretty. That's not in itself a bad thing when talking about engineering.

Bodge seems to be used interchangeably with botch, which has a different meaning i.e. to mess up a job. That's my understanding anyway, and so I wouldn't take offence about a repair being called a bodge. Unless they meant to say botch...

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

The definition I found said that a bodge is a repair made badly or where you don't have the time or materials to do it properly. This would include all those nicely made sections I've welded into Timex (and the GS for that matter) because I haven't replaced entire floor pans or sills. It was interesting that the definition said nothing about lack of money, which is what I'd regard as a main reason for a bodge - after all anything can be made for enough money.
Mike Sims
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
JayW
1K Away

Post by JayW »

By the definition above, anything not completely replaced with new is a bodge?

In my day, being a mechanic was all about REPAIRING things, these days (and for me at the last HGV workshop) you're average mechanic is now called a FITTER. A derogatory title in my opinion but with cheap Asian production it's more finacially viable just to replace a prt than repair it (although "financially viable" doesn't necessarily mean cheaper.

For me, bodging is repairing something to a working standard with the resources you have to hand, but not to a level you're happy with. Repairing properly is done with the correct materials and something you're happy will last the expected lifespan of the parent component.

BOTCHING as Mat says is just getting it all wrong!

Top radiator hose splits a couple of inches from the hose clip:
1. Repair properly: Replace the entire hose.
2. Bodge: Trim the split piece off, cut the hose in the centre and add a length of copper pipe to extend the hose to fit.
3. Botch: Trim the split piece off, stretch the hose to reach. Doing 70 on the motorway the hose tears off empties the water and cooks the engine.

I'm happy to bodge when required, though it would almost always get a follow up! :lol:
I have zero patience for your tedium.
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

That sounds just about right Jay. Of course it's like everything else with old cars - subject to interpretation! Looking at your radiator example above, I'd only do No.3 to get me home, while No. 2 may be the only course of action with some of our cars as hose stocks seem to fast drying up, and we will eventually either to make up our own hoses or pay to get something made. I had to be a little inventive with Timex's heater pipes because they are NFP.

There are also different definitions for Fitter - there's the one where all you do is get bits out of a box and bolt them on, then there's the one I was taught as a trainee aircraft fitter, where you either alter an existing part, or make one from scratch to fit (regulations permitting), using nothing more than basic hand tools, a vice and a pillar drill!
Mike Sims
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

i was always told in the old days a bodge was a satisfactory repair to something with anything you have to hand

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
ghaddon1701
BXpert

Post by ghaddon1701 »

In my opinion some of the solutions Citroen used in the BX from the factory were various degrees of bodging.
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

ghaddon1701 wrote:In my opinion some of the solutions Citroën used in the BX from the factory were various degrees of bodging.
in that situation they were afterthoughts

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

In my opinion some of the solutions Citroën used in the BX from the factory were various degrees of bodging.
Citroen have done some appalling jobs of RHD versions of cars over the years - 2CV's that crack their bulkheads because of the battery location, Dyanes that have some of the speedo hidden by the wiper motor, Ami wipers that don't sweep the drivers side adequately and GS's that demist the passenger side before the drivers side to name a few! And the less said about the pedal linkages on some modern models the better. Compared to these, RHD BX's are actually quite good in this respect.
Mike Sims
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

mat_fenwick wrote: but my understanding of the meaning was similar to yours, i.e. a repair made with whatever you have to hand at the time.
That's Jury Rigging, and nothing to do with the legal process.

Most of us don't bodge, most of us Jury Rig, we just happen to have an excess amount of junk lying around!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jury_rig" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;