Dollywobbler's 17TXD Turbo - new home time

Tell us about life with your BX, or indeed life in general!
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Re: Dollywobbler's 17TXD Turbo

Post by Dollywobbler »

Thanks Mickey. NEC perhaps?

Bother, soddit and indeed arse. Got it all back together again and the one bulb that was fine was no longer working! It was the one behind the speedo that you have to remove yet another bit to get at. Must have decided that if all the others were going to die, it might as well do so as well!

Not that my troubles are over - the speedo isn't working now. Last gasp from a ticky cable? Guess I'll have to fit a new one anyway, so the dashboard isn't yet screwed back in. Not amused.
Mickey taker
Over 2k

Post by Mickey taker »

Not sure if I can make N.E.C. yet but someone may be able to meet me somewhere on there way up
1991 BX Meteor 1.6

light travels faster than sound, thats why you look intelligent and then you spoil it all by opening your mouth !!!!!
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Sounds like Sandre can scoop up the parcel shelf. What a lovely lady!

Hilary dropped in to collect the alloys today, which means the cost of the BX has dropped to £295. Ignoring all the work it's needed...
Mickey taker
Over 2k

Post by Mickey taker »

Yes I have spoken to our little goddess, How is this woman still single ?
she is such a treasure ( no that dosent mean she should be buried and dug up later )
perhaps she should call her car Hermes after the messenger with all the running around Sandre do's in it :D
1991 BX Meteor 1.6

light travels faster than sound, thats why you look intelligent and then you spoil it all by opening your mouth !!!!!
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Made a tentative effort to start the arm bearing replacement today. Quickly decided 'sod that!' Couldn't even get the 13mm ARB bolts out and after five minutes of trying, I was already extremely fed up with bits of dirt falling into my eyes. I might well end up farming this job out...
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Bugger. A 6 sided socket will help prevent rounding off, but they can be *very* tight...

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

I've never considered myself claustrophobic until I started that job. I don't like really giving bolts welly when a car is on stands and you're lying right under it.
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

BX facelift rear lights are so feeble that I felt the need to fit a high-level brake light.

First time I've fitted one to a car and also the first time I've done any soldering since I was 15! Trying to solder into that plastic multi-wire thing without destroying the plastic was an interesting experience. I pulled a loop of wire out of it and twisted the strand of brake light wire through it before soldering.
vnd
Confirmed BX'er

Post by vnd »

Looks good!
What is it about BX back lights, and lights in general, that put out such little output of actual light?!
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

I don't know. It infuriates me because the pre-facelift lamps are much better! So much for progress. My 2CV shames the BX when it comes to rear lamp output. Mind you, my 2CV shames it for rear arm bearing design too...
vnd
Confirmed BX'er

Post by vnd »

Dollywobbler wrote:I don't know. It infuriates me because the pre-facelift lamps are much better! So much for progress. My 2CV shames the BX when it comes to rear lamp output. Mind you, my 2CV shames it for rear arm bearing design too...
Progress......... :lol:
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

I wouldnt worry too much about a BX brake lights Ian, as you cant see them and in your TD you will be hard to catch up with anyway.

I cruised up and down to Cornwall 3 times this year in mine and many a modern vehicle had to get out of the way, couldnt care less what they saw behind me but the TZD badge. As long as they work, thats fine with me.

Andy
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

The amount of time I've spent sitting in traffic queues because people can't drive makes me think that having extra brake lights is a very good thing!

Anyway, I'm off to my local garage in the morning (12 miles away...) to have the new arm bearings fitted, having decided it's a job that's worth paying someone else to do. The garage takes it all very well given that they only get the rubbish jobs! They'd get much less work if I had a four-post lift in my garage, though if I did, I'd have to lose my office/dining room which is above it (in-house garages. A silly idea).
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

Said the same to my MOT guy this afternoon Ian, however it would raise my carports roof a tad too high and i cant be bothered to sort out the mess it would make.
Wonder what they would cost though?

Andy
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

The amount of time I've spent sitting in traffic queues because people can't drive makes me think that having extra brake lights is a very good thing!
Depends on the person driving the car with the high level brake light - I've seen people pull out in front of traffic and stop, causing an accident! Turned that because their car had a high level brake light, they thought they could do this because the traffic could see them stopping and avoid them ](*,)
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!