Dollywobbler's 17TXD Turbo - new home time

Tell us about life with your BX, or indeed life in general!
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Re: Dollywobbler's 17TXD Turbo

Post by Dollywobbler »

Bother. My trusty garage has refused the arm bearing job! Fortunately a new place has recently opened and the chap there seems to know his onions so it'll be heading there next week. Is it really that bad a job?!
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

It's not *that* bad a job - that said I haven't really had problems doing them before. Maybe if the first bolts I touched rounded off I'd be thinking differently! If no joy with the second garage I'll try and find time somehow.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

Dollywobbler wrote: Is it really that bad a job?!
No it's not that bad at all, the only problem I foresee is if the casings are worn if they have been left too long which might put their ramp out of action until you get replacement arms or have yours repaired. I think I would cross them off my trusted garage list if I were you.
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

I think that was the fear Kevan - once the arms are off, that's a ramp out of action for who knows how long. I'm not crossing them off as they've been very good to me in the past and they know what they are doing. They're also quick to point out when they don't know what they are doing which most garages certainly do not!
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

Yes well that's fair enough then, I suppose they would have been willing to do the job if they could guarantee having all they needed to hand. Back on the trusted garage list :oops: :wink:
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
Mickey taker
Over 2k

Post by Mickey taker »

About time you moved this from the gallery to a blog Ian,
I reckon this could be a keeper for you
1991 BX Meteor 1.6

light travels faster than sound, thats why you look intelligent and then you spoil it all by opening your mouth !!!!!
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

That's been said before Mickey! There's only one keeper, and sadly (for this forum) it isn't a BX. It is a Citroen though!
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

One arm bearing sorted and fitted, but sadly the brake pipe snapped the other side, so I won't get the car back until Monday. Which is very frustrating because I miss driving it and I've got a remote central locking kit to fit to it! However, I think getting it MOTd will probably be a priority. Eight days left on it...
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

I'm kind of relieved now you didn't bring it up here for the arm bearings now, as you'd have been stranded if I'd broken the brake pipe!

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Indeed! I'm assuming it must have been on its last legs anyway. What I'm slightly nervous about at the moment is that I should get the car back on Monday, but the MOT runs out on Tuesday. I was hoping to have a bit more time for problem finding. Hopefully there won't be 'owt!

To really add some flavour to things, I've got someone looking at the Maverick tomorrow who seems keen, and the Bluebird finishes on Ebay. By Monday, I could be left with just the BX and 2CV!
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

If there is a problem Ian, at least you will have 10 working days to sort it.
Fingers crossed all you have done so far will have done it.
Sat with my mot tester last week and went through the entire test with my TGS and was amazed how simple it really was, thank heavens everything was working ok.
Been talking with Malcolm today at his workshop in St Leonards re mots, the less complex, ie, older the vehicle the less they have to test which is a plus for us BX owners.
Good luck with it.

Andy
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Well, apart from very slight play in one front balljoint, I think all is well in the front suspension. Rear suspension should be good after the arm bearing job. There's no corrosion (other than the rear crossmember but I don't think that's in a testable area). All of the lights work, the brakes seem to work, the seatbelts work. The only slight cause of concern is a notable smell of diesel from the right rear. I suspect the seal isn't good enough on the fuel flap. Is there anything you can do about this? I know the filler neck can come adrift but I'm pretty sure this one is ok.
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

I think rear cross member is only an MOT item if there's a tow hitch fitted.
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

Maybe a bit of sillicone sealant around the fuel filler may help Ian but the tester who did my TGS last Thursday didnt try to sniff anything so i wouldnt worry too much. More concerned about how lean she was running which i hope will be fixed this coming Thursday.

Andy
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

Not sure about the cars, but when my motorbike was tested he removed the filler cap and visually checked the condition of the seal
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!