Rear wheels rubbing-alloys on the estate.

BX Tech talk
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Rear wheels rubbing-alloys on the estate.

Post by cavmad »

Re-fitted the rear alloys to the estate today post MOT. It had failed on them rubbing slightly (though the tester said it ws only by a fraction). I didn`t notice any noises when I first fitted them after I`d bent the outer guards out a fraction but now they are quite noisily rubbing by the sound oif it, possibly on the inner arches.
Naturally I`m aware that an MOT fail on this could be because it may be dangerous but I`m loathe to put the steelies back on-any suggestions?
They are aftermarket 14" wheels btw, I think they may be 6J. I have got some silver GTi alloys on the TZD which I suppose I could fit if neccessary but the aftermarket ones are quite smart and make the car that bit different.
Vauxhall apologist.
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Post by Stewart (oily!) »

Its probably the beginning of rear arm wear, when you look at the car from behind do the rear wheels look like / \ even slightly? the standard narrow rims allow for some wear, wider ones are less forgiving :( the job is not a bad one to do, especially if you have some rear arms spare, in fact if you get the kits from GSF and bring them to me with the arms I will do them for you whilst you watch :)
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Xantia Td estate, going soft
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

I did notice a slight lean on one of the rears Stewart, maybe that`s what causing it?
Thanks for the offer by the way, I might take you up on that and bring the inner wing thingy up with me if I can remember where I left it that is!
Vauxhall apologist.
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

what size tyre and have you checked your fluid levels? I had a bugger of a journey to hatfield over the weekend and put a good litre of LHM back in to sort the same problem!
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

Can't see it being the arm bearings, it's not that long since they were changed.
Cornishbx16v
BXpert

Post by Cornishbx16v »

not wishing to sound funny here but are you sure that the wheels are the correct offsett matey??? if they are rubbing on the inside a lot then maybe the wheels are too inset???? i would bung a steelie on and check! if the worst comes to the worst just put a pair of steelies on the back mate to get it through!
Timmo.

After all I AM CORNISH!!!!

www.bx16v.com
www.bx16v.co.uk/forum
www.bx16valve.co.uk
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Post by Stewart (oily!) »

Maybe if theres no rear arm bearing wear a pair of spacers will give you clearance.
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Xantia Td estate, going soft
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

It`s passed MOT now and I had to put the steelies back on to get it through. The offset should be fine as they were off a BX 4x4. Oh, car`s started to leak diesel from under the bonnet but I think the cause is a small pipe which goes from the top of the pump to a black plastic `thing` under the airbox which has split.
Vauxhall apologist.